Official Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Official Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Asa's Gift" by Isaac Green.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Asa’s Gift, by Isaac Green, is a science fiction western, integrating narrative elements of both genres while in the setting of a western. The book begins with a birth. Sadly, Daniel’s first child, Rachel, is born with a heart defect that will not allow her to live a full life. Daniel is insistent on using the full power of his wealth to find a solution to save her. Just before Daniel and Rachel’s departure to San Francisco, for additional medical assistance, Rachel as well as Daniel’s autistic cousin Asa go missing. Daniel realizes that he must find Asa and his daughter before any irreparable damage is done. Daniel follows Asa’s trail to Lagrima, the first town where his family and Asa lived after emigrating, a town that no longer exists.

This is the frame for the rest of the story, as the reader is taken back in time to Daniel and Asa’s childhood in Lagrima. For the tale that Green is weaving in Asa’s Gift, this framing device is extremely important to create the right setup for the eventual payoff at the end. However, the setup feels a bit long and could benefit from being shortened to get into the action more quickly.

As for the rest of the story, again I find that getting into the action takes a bit long, but the action that follows and the depth of the characters Green creates is worth the wait. I love the setup of the Caretaker and the aura of mystery and other-worldliness that he possesses. That is an extremely helpful hint for the reader as more and more supernatural elements creep into this western town. Additionally, Green does an excellent job utilizing all the citizens in the town, while keeping the main characters in the middle of the action. Though the story is a bit gruesome at times, it sets the scene for how dire the situation is and the importance of our heroes’ success.

While the action is exciting and well-paced, the story also has many touching and human scenes between characters. For instance, Javier, Daniel’s best friend, is more of a comic relief character for most of the novel. In the lead up to the climax, Javier shows a different side to his character when he faces an unexpected ally. Another scene involves Daniel and Asa connecting and communicating in a way they never could before. This was hugely important to the story, and a very positive spin on relationships with people with autism.

Speaking of autism, I have never seen an author use autism as heroically as its use here with Asa. Daniel needs Asa’s help; Asa can do what no one else can. What an empowering take on this developmental disorder. Well done.

In conclusion, Asa’s Gift is a book with developed characters, interesting action, and sincere personal moments. Because of the slow start and the few grammar errors, I am going to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If you like character driven science fiction, then this might be the book for you.

Asa's Gift
View: on Bookshelves

Like AbbyGNelson's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Sci-fi, western, autism. The author has woven a lot into this book! Thanks for the interesting review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

A western with supernatural elements, children with disabilities, and disappearances... Sounds fascinating. I'm not a big fan of slow starts, as I feel it's the author's job to draw me in sooner rather than later. Thanks for a great review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The plot of this book is quite interesting,full of mystery and supernatural elements. Addition of an autistic girl gives this plot a fine twist. I have also reviewed a book "That place of knowledge" dealing with an autistic boy. Thanks for your interesting review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have a nephew that is Autistic, so I think it's great how the author uses that in his story. I'm just not sure I could get past the slow beginning, though. Still, it's an intriguing concept. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Helen_Combe wrote: 07 May 2018, 16:34 Sci-fi, western, autism. The author has woven a lot into this book! Thanks for the interesting review.
Yep! Definitely a lot! Thanks for reading
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

SABRADLEY wrote: 07 May 2018, 21:36 A western with supernatural elements, children with disabilities, and disappearances... Sounds fascinating. I'm not a big fan of slow starts, as I feel it's the author's job to draw me in sooner rather than later. Thanks for a great review!
I completely agree with you! If the author were to fix that, it would go a long way!
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 May 2018, 07:17 I have a nephew that is Autistic, so I think it's great how the author uses that in his story. I'm just not sure I could get past the slow beginning, though. Still, it's an intriguing concept. Thanks!
I think that's fair. Having a slow start is a big hindrance to a story!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Wow, a sci-fi western. That's definitely unique.
I love that the author did such a good job with Asa. Autism is a really delicate topic and to come out as strongly as it sounds he did, I think that's very commendable.
Thanks so much for the great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

Great review. I enjoyed reading the little details you pointed out about the book. I am looking forward to reading the book too so I can find out more about Asa.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Bianka Walter wrote: 09 May 2018, 05:11 Wow, a sci-fi western. That's definitely unique.
I love that the author did such a good job with Asa. Autism is a really delicate topic and to come out as strongly as it sounds he did, I think that's very commendable.
Thanks so much for the great review!
Yeah, Asa honestly surprised me! It was a pleasant surprise and well done on the author's part.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

A sci-fi book about autism is not my cup of tea. Asa is heroic with autism seems a good motivation to children who have autism. They won't feel autism as a defect and they can do great things even in a state of autism. Thanks for the detailed review.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Mildred Tabitha wrote: 09 May 2018, 11:19 Great review. I enjoyed reading the little details you pointed out about the book. I am looking forward to reading the book too so I can find out more about Asa.
I hope you like it! I definitely enjoyed it :)
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Dolor wrote: 09 May 2018, 12:26 A sci-fi book about autism is not my cup of tea. Asa is heroic with autism seems a good motivation to children who have autism. They won't feel autism as a defect and they can do great things even in a state of autism. Thanks for the detailed review.
It's definitely not a book for everyone, and yeah Asa is great! Thanks for reading!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the enlightening review! It is always good to hear that authors make the effort to create well-developed characters. I'm glad that autism was also woven into the book, as it is a topic that needs more media exposure - it reminds me of the book I just reviewed, which too deals with autism (and service dogs)!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”