Official Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Re: Official Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

gen_g wrote: 14 May 2018, 09:36 Thank you for the enlightening review! It is always good to hear that authors make the effort to create well-developed characters. I'm glad that autism was also woven into the book, as it is a topic that needs more media exposure - it reminds me of the book I just reviewed, which too deals with autism (and service dogs)!
Thanks for reading! I'll have to check out your review too :)
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

That's incredible, the characters sound so real and interesting. I'll have to check this book out now.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

DathanReeves wrote: 14 May 2018, 12:35 That's incredible, the characters sound so real and interesting. I'll have to check this book out now.
Thanks for reading! I enjoyed it more than I expected. :)
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Helen_Combe wrote: 07 May 2018, 16:34 Sci-fi, western, autism. The author has woven a lot into this book! Thanks for the interesting review.
I agree! What an interesting mix. That combination alone sounds so never-before-attempted that it makes me want to check it out. I also appreciate the Autism-heroism angle, as I have family with the condition, although I know very little about it myself. Thanks for the thorough review.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

Based on your review this sounds like a unique story with a lot to offer. I don't think I have read a western with a sci-fi twist. I enjoyed your review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds intriguing - western, sci-fi, overcoming disability, and time travel. Cool!!
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

SamSim wrote: 14 May 2018, 15:32 I agree! What an interesting mix. That combination alone sounds so never-before-attempted that it makes me want to check it out. I also appreciate the Autism-heroism angle, as I have family with the condition, although I know very little about it myself. Thanks for the thorough review.
If you choose to read it, I hope you enjoy it! It is definitely different than many stories out there. Thanks for reading!
dtb wrote: 14 May 2018, 16:48 Based on your review this sounds like a unique story with a lot to offer. I don't think I have read a western with a sci-fi twist. I enjoyed your review.
Yeah western sci-fi, very different from anything I've ever read! Thanks!
teacherjh wrote: 15 May 2018, 10:43 This sounds intriguing - western, sci-fi, overcoming disability, and time travel. Cool!!
I thought it was pretty cool too, an interesting mix. Thanks!
Jackson Roby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Jackson Roby »

Seems not so bad as a father shows his desperate love to fin the cure to make sure that the child lives a full life but it sounded a bit boring and may be only a few people especially those who can I identify will be interested.
Whoever the it may help people to be more sympathetic and help people with such conditions.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

This looks like an incredible read, I'm willing to wade through the beginning based off your review. I love westerns and would love to see more unique fantasy westerns written! Thanks for your review, I look forward to checking this out!
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Jackson Roby wrote: 16 May 2018, 23:26 Seems not so bad as a father shows his desperate love to fin the cure to make sure that the child lives a full life but it sounded a bit boring and may be only a few people especially those who can I identify will be interested.
Whoever the it may help people to be more sympathetic and help people with such conditions.
Yep, it's definitely not a book for everyone, but it does have some good action-filled moments.

maggiechap wrote: 18 May 2018, 12:14 This looks like an incredible read, I'm willing to wade through the beginning based off your review. I love westerns and would love to see more unique fantasy westerns written! Thanks for your review, I look forward to checking this out!
Yeah! It's definitely a different twist. I didn't know what I would think of it, but I was pleasantly surprised.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Great review! Though slow starts kind of unsettle me, I am intrigued by the creative autism angle and author's use of the whole city residents without losing track of the plot, that you have highlighted.Did you notice the author's name is so conspicuous on the cover? For a moment I mistook it for the title of the book!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Cotwani wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 03:17 Did you notice the author's name is so conspicuous on the cover? For a moment I mistook it for the title of the book!
I don't love it when author's do that. It seems pompous almost.
Lu_rire
Currently Reading: The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-rire.html
Latest Review: Driven by Max Barnet/Hugh Aaron

Post by Lu_rire »

I am torn. I am interested in books on autism but scifi isn't precisely my cup of tea. I might try the book to see how it goes but I am not positive I will like it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”