Official Review: Endohuman: Love Vs Duty by Nick Dream

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Endohuman: Love Vs Duty by Nick Dream

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Endohuman: Love Vs Duty" by Nick Dream.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Adam is a high school student who has been totally overlooked and ignored for most of his schooling career. Targeted by bullies and generally treated unkindly, Adam is the epitome of an oppressed teenager trying to get through the days, weeks, and ultimately, his last year of school. What his fellow students don’t know, however, is that Adam is destined to save the world. He is an Endohuman - part vampire, part werewolf, and part fallen. He has a plethora of abilities which range from super-strength to mind reading. With all of these capabilities, it is more taxing for him to try to act normal, than for him to actually be bullied.

Adam’s grandfather has trained him from birth, but his long life is running out. He needs to ensure that Adam is ready to be the last Endohuman on Earth. As one of the most crucial teachings, Adam is forbidden to fall in love with a human. Evie, however, is someone he is struggling to keep this pledge for. He has loved her from afar for as long as he can remember. He may even be willing to break the primordial rules for her. In the meantime, there is an ancient evil brewing, and Adam needs to decide on duty or love.

Endohuman: Love Vs Duty is whirlwind of a book. Scratch that. A whirlwind doesn’t quite cut it – more like a hurricane. This book has so much going on. There were twists within the twists… within the twists. I feel like my mind has been thoroughly flummoxed. As a quick read (just over 300 pages), this is definitely one that I would recommend to any sci-fi fan.

With the overwhelming amount of information in this book, it was difficult to keep up with the story at times. The number of characters, the facts about ancient Endohuman laws, and the story flashbacks, all made this book very intense and brain muffling. I lost track of a few character names, and at times found myself thinking “who is this person again?” The main characters, however, were very carefully developed and I had no trouble feeling connected to them.

I still have a few basic unanswered questions; explanations of which I found were all quite vague in the book. My main question was, where did Adam actually come from? There is no real backstory to him, apart from him being with his grandfather for 18 years. Did he have parents? Were they also Endohumans? Did his grandfather change him into one? Again, this could have been answered in the book, but not coherently. The sheer mass of material was difficult to get a handle on.

With all of this being said, I couldn’t put this book down. It really kept me quite captivated. Even with the multi-layered plot, I found that I would love to read the next book. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I had a really tough time trying to put a rating on this one. In the end, I removed a star because the second half of the book unravelled a bit. With the story developing too quickly, I think the narrative became slightly rushed, with huge plot points being hastened in order for the next big “wow” moment to occur.

As a self-published book, I feel like Nick Dream has done a superb job. I found only a few grammatical errors which I easily could have overlooked. I don’t think this book should be categorised as young adult - the language is a bit too raw. The first word of the book is PG-13. Other than that, again, I really enjoyed it! It was full of action, romance, and a bit of the paranormal, so really – what’s not to like?

Endohuman: Love Vs Duty
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I’m afraid ‘vampire’ tends to cause me to go into complete shutdown, but this looks like an entertaining book with a plot.
The relationship reminds me a bit of Dr Who when he first said ‘I’m a father’. It was all shock horror until we remembered that the original doctor was a grandfather, so of course he must have been a father.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Helen_Combe wrote: 09 May 2018, 05:25 Great review. I’m afraid ‘vampire’ tends to cause me to go into complete shutdown, but this looks like an entertaining book with a plot.
The relationship reminds me a bit of Dr Who when he first said ‘I’m a father’. It was all shock horror until we remembered that the original doctor was a grandfather, so of course he must have been a father.
I agree - when it comes to vampires, I'm a little skeptical. But our main vampire in this book doesn't like the taste of blood. So we're ok :)
At least we can work good old Dr. Who out... this book was a little trickier!
Thanks for the comments :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Loved your review! I'm not into sci-fi, but you almost convinced me this might be worth reading. Maybe I'll look into it in my spare time.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cordeliaslaught
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cordeliaslaught »

:techie-studyinggray: Great review I love the vampire love relationship. Love the action but wasn't a fan of how they fell in love seems too predictable to me.
But it's a great book to get into
-cece
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

AmySmiles wrote: 09 May 2018, 14:53 Loved your review! I'm not into sci-fi, but you almost convinced me this might be worth reading. Maybe I'll look into it in my spare time.
Thanks for the comment :) It's a quick read - so if you ever feel like picking something up that you may not usually, this would be a good choice!
- Dr. Seuss
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

This book sounds like a lot to take in. I'm glad you enjoyed it even with all of the craziness! Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one does sound a bit mind boggling, but in a good way. Science fiction books should be somewhat complicated. Great review. Sounds like it's a story that's up my alley.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Cordeliaslaught wrote: 09 May 2018, 22:51 :techie-studyinggray: Great review I love the vampire love relationship. Love the action but wasn't a fan of how they fell in love seems too predictable to me.
But it's a great book to get into
-cece
It is a bit predictable, and I would have mentioned that had there not been so much else to appease the predictability. The story was fantastic.
Thanks so much for the comment :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Niski wrote: 10 May 2018, 07:03 This book sounds like a lot to take in. I'm glad you enjoyed it even with all of the craziness! Great review.
A lot to take in is an understatement, but yes I really did enjoy it! Thanks for the comment :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kandscreeley wrote: 10 May 2018, 08:43 This one does sound a bit mind boggling, but in a good way. Science fiction books should be somewhat complicated. Great review. Sounds like it's a story that's up my alley.
There were literally parts that I had to lower the book and go "what on Earth..." But it was so enjoyable, I absolutely recommend it. I'm really looking forward to the next one :)
- Dr. Seuss
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

For some reason, the cover turned me off, but your review makes me want to read it.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I don't know about the whole romance aspect, which is a major part of the plot, but I DO like the idea of a vampire/werewolf/Fallen hybrid, so that's intriguing. And I have a feeling I'd have the same unanswered questions that you did. Sooooooo, I'm on the fence, but thanks for the great and thoughtful review!
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

teacherjh wrote: 10 May 2018, 11:37 For some reason, the cover turned me off, but your review makes me want to read it.
Ya, the cover was interesting for me, because it alluded to vampires. And that turned out to be a not-so-big element of the book.
Thanks for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

MsTri wrote: 10 May 2018, 11:47 I don't know about the whole romance aspect, which is a major part of the plot, but I DO like the idea of a vampire/werewolf/Fallen hybrid, so that's intriguing. And I have a feeling I'd have the same unanswered questions that you did. Sooooooo, I'm on the fence, but thanks for the great and thoughtful review!
The three big supernatural beings rolled into one was an interesting idea. And then throw in a little of ALL of their powers with a few extra sprinkled on top... that's what we have here.
I hope some questions are answered in the next book :)
Thanks so much for stopping by and for the comments!
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”