Official Review: The Transitioners by Indigo Cox

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: The Transitioners by Indigo Cox

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Transitioners" by Indigo Cox.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Transitioners: The Purple Blues by Indigo Cox is the first installment in The Purple Blood Lineage book series. I was intrigued by both the book cover and title of this novel. I was even more riled up to read this book when I learned what inspired the author to write this story. Cox set out to write a young-adult fiction fantasy novel story featuring an Afro-American superheroine because she was saddened that although her daughters were avid readers, they scarcely came across heroines that shared their brown complexion.

Misty, our protagonist, is a beautiful hazel-nut complexioned young lady pursuing a doctorate in Music at Girard, a world renown university for great musician alumni. If she graduates, then she will be the first black person to receive a doctorate in music from the university. The keyword is “if”. It is the 1970’s, so not surprisingly she has a racist professor who is sure to flunk her if he knows that she is black. However, she can also fail by being absent from his class. Fortunately, Misty is not your ordinary girl. She can change her skin color to appear white for a while.

This ability to transition is only one of her superpowers. How and why did she come by these superpowers? There is an interesting response to these questions, but I cannot answer them hereto avoid providing any spoilers. What I can say is that, where there is a superhero, there is usually a supervillain. The main theme in this book is hope in the battle against racial injustice and other hate crimes.

For the most part, I enjoyed reading this novel. It consisted of a brief introduction, twenty-one chapters and chapter 1 from the second book in the series; All of this was composed in less than 200 pages. It was not that the book was super suspenseful, but the writing style flowed so well that I wanted to read on and know the full story. Misty was a likable protagonist, and I think that no matter the reader’s background, s/he should be able to relate to experiencing social injustice of some sort.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of things about this book that I consider demerits. There were so many simple grammatical errors that it seems to me that this book was not professionally edited. They did not hinder me from enjoying the reading experience, but they would have been easily spotted and removed with just one more proofreading. Also, there were several characters that I did not like. This point is rather subjective, so I will not divulge much information on it, but it does influence my rating of the book, so I figured I should mention it.

In conclusion, I rate The Transitioners 3 out of 4 stars. I would have still given it this rating even if the book was free of grammatical errors because of the characters I did not like. However, I cannot give it 2 stars because it inspired me to want to read the series, and I recommend it to fantasy fiction lovers such as myself.

The Transitioners
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

I really love the cover of the book. I find myself a bit ambivalent. Thank you for writing this.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I love that this has a diverse cast of characters. I am so thrilled that we are seeing more and more of that. Way to go for the author. If you don't see the books you want to read, write them! My curiosity is definitely peaked. Thanks for the review.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Your review has sparked my curiosity to know about Misty’s powers and what becomes of her. I like the theme, too. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the idea behind this book. The author is right; there don't seem to be many african american heroines, especially in the science fiction genre. I love the cover as well. In spite of the grammatical errors, this sounds like a book that's right up my alley! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Jaime Lync wrote: 01 May 2018, 12:53 Cox set out to write a young-adult fiction fantasy novel story featuring an Afro-American superheroine because she was saddened that although her daughters were avid readers, they scarcely came across heroines that shared their brown complexion....The main theme in this book is hope in the battle against racial injustice and other hate crimes.
That's a great reason for writing and a great theme, but it sounds as though it doesn't quite work out. I'm quite interested in the phenomenon of "passing" whether that's about different race, gender or Dis/Ability, but I find the idea of being able to change your skin colour as a superpower a bit weird. In fact, I might be inclined to find it insulting, but obviously you didn't, and I bow to your judgement as someone who's actually read the book. Thanks for a really interesting review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Libs_Books wrote: 03 May 2018, 15:02
Jaime Lync wrote: 01 May 2018, 12:53 Cox set out to write a young-adult fiction fantasy novel story featuring an Afro-American superheroine because she was saddened that although her daughters were avid readers, they scarcely came across heroines that shared their brown complexion....The main theme in this book is hope in the battle against racial injustice and other hate crimes.
That's a great reason for writing and a great theme, but it sounds as though it doesn't quite work out. I'm quite interested in the phenomenon of "passing" whether that's about different race, gender or Dis/Ability, but I find the idea of being able to change your skin colour as a superpower a bit weird. In fact, I might be inclined to find it insulting, but obviously you didn't, and I bow to your judgement as someone who's actually read the book. Thanks for a really interesting review.
I actually agree with you that it may seem counterproductive to a lot of people to have a story featuring an Afro-American heroine and her main power is to "transition" to appear white. However, I looked on this and saw that heroes have to sacrifice themselves for the elevation of their people ( I am not sure how to better explain why I saw this without giving any spoilers).
But for example, say your mother-tongue is Spanish (like mine) and you are in enemy territory and say the only distinction btw your people and the enemy is the language barrier; that is, they speak English and you guys speak Spanish. To make it through in that territory while weaker than the enemy you are going to need a bilingual (Spanish and English speaker) on your side.

Also, I am not a huge fan of superheroes like Superman where I am not given a plausible reason why people cannot identify him as Clark Kent - glasses and a hairdo is a weak cover. Okay, maybe this is just me ranting here.

Appreciate you reading and providing feedback.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

stacie k wrote: 03 May 2018, 00:47 Your review has sparked my curiosity to know about Misty’s powers and what becomes of her. I like the theme, too. Thanks for a great review!
Glad you liked it Stacy K. Hope you enjoy the book if and when you get the chance to read it.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 May 2018, 07:27 I love the idea behind this book. The author is right; there don't seem to be many african american heroines, especially in the science fiction genre. I love the cover as well. In spite of the grammatical errors, this sounds like a book that's right up my alley! Thanks.
Yh, it would be great to read more sci-fi books that feature strong Afro-American female leads.
Thanks for reading and commenting Kandscreeley.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Kat Berg wrote: 02 May 2018, 23:53 I love that this has a diverse cast of characters. I am so thrilled that we are seeing more and more of that. Way to go for the author. If you don't see the books you want to read, write them! My curiosity is definitely peaked. Thanks for the review.
Glad I could get you curious about the book. Authors should definitely write the books they want to read.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

420waystoreachthesun wrote: 02 May 2018, 23:30 I really love the cover of the book. I find myself a bit ambivalent. Thank you for writing this.
The book cover is definitely cool. I have read tons of fantasy novels and though like I said I recommend this book, it's NOT to the point where I am like - "HEY PEOPLE, YOU MUST READ THIS OR YOUR MISSING OUT!"
If you do decide to read it and like it, then you will definitely want to continue the series. If you decide not to read it, there are tons of other fantasy novels to choose from.
Thanks for reading and commenting.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It's fascinating how the author was inspired to write this book and even more when the main character is more of a ambitious, never-give-up attitude girl. Nice! Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sounds like a really interesting theme. I think I would like to try this book, in spite of the grammar errors. You have me intrigued about the characters you didn't like!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I applaud the author for branching out into an otherwise non-existent angle; that of using African American superhero. I think Misty's ability to transform her skin color to white for a while is cool, much like an invisibility cloak for heroes who have access to that. I'd like to know what other powers she possesses and how she fares as a black superhero. Thanks for a great review as usual, Jaime!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Jaime Lync wrote: 03 May 2018, 15:51
Also, I am not a huge fan of superheroes like Superman where I am not given a plausible reason why people cannot identify him as Clark Kent - glasses and a hairdo is a weak cover. Okay, maybe this is just me ranting here.

What an excellent point. It is nice when things actually make practical sense. I never understood the Superman/Supergirl thing with the glasses either. I think I would need a little more information about where exactly this series is heading beyond just knowing about the main character's abilities. I kind of thought the same as Libs_Books, but liked your explanation of the differences in language. Sometimes blending in can really be a type of ability. You can gather information by fitting in with the crowd. It could make sense. I'd have to read the book to find out if it was executed well. Nice review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”