Official Review: A Place with Dragons by Steven Lovett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Official Review: A Place with Dragons by Steven Lovett

Post by jvez »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Place with Dragons" by Steven Lovett.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Place with Dragons by Steven Lovett recounts the adventures of Nicolas Bennett as he fulfills his destiny as the Wren (king of birds) of Telluric Grand. On his twelfth birthday, Nicolas discovers a secret door that leads to Telluric Grand, a magical world where time moves differently and where evil continues to loom in the darkness. In this world, Nicolas befriends the cheerful thief Benjamin, the aspiring healer Adelaide, and the bladesmith’s apprentice Ranulf. Nicolas and his newfound friends then set off on a journey that involves giants, wisps, ogres, and other otherworldly creatures that Nicolas never even imagined existed. At the end of this journey is a deadly task that only Nicolas will be able to accomplish. An age-old prophecy foretells that Nicolas will be a Dragon Nightfall (dragon slayer) and the one who shall vanquish the evil dragon, Árnyék Tolvaj, also known as the Shadow Thief.

If you are fond of young adult fantasy stories, especially those similar to The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, then you definitely have to try this book.

A Place with Dragons is the first installment in the series A City with Seven Gates. The author has evidently exerted a lot of effort in conceptualizing Telluric Grand, from its landscapes to its creatures. Although I have read of these same creatures in other books, the author still managed to include certain details that make the creatures of Telluric Grand stand out. The wisps, in particular, intrigued me as I rarely encounter stories about them. I also find the concept of fire and iron in connection to the dragons very unique. The inclusion of various myths and legends that the author crafted solely for Telluric Grand also made me feel like I was reading many short stories within a longer one.

However, I feel that the author concentrated too much on building his fantasy world that he neglected other elements of the story. My biggest problem is the drastic change in the personality of the main character, Nicolas. In the beginning, Nicolas occurred to me as a rather spoiled child, feeling a bit dejected that he was not having his usual party for his 12th birthday. I understand he is a smart, bookish kid with inborn courage and with a deep well of curiosity that need to be sated. I just find it absurd how Nicolas easily accepted his fate as Telluric Grand’s destined hero and how he’s suddenly acting much older than 12 in just a few pages. I don’t even see a clear development or motivation. Unlike young heroes in similar books, Nicolas is not an orphan with nowhere to return to or a troubled kid needing an escape. So why would he bother saving a world he’s unfamiliar with? Was it simply due to a hero complex or was it because of the memory of his grandfather? In addition, I also find it baffling how Nicolas went along with a stranger for around three chapters without even asking that stranger’s name. Even if his gut feeling told him he could trust the stranger, this doesn’t lessen the absurdity of it all.

The author needs to give readers a broader insight into Nicolas’ emotions and thoughts. I would have wanted to read about Nicolas' dilemmas and fears because these would make his character more believable. The author did this in the latter parts of the book, but in the earlier chapters, it was difficult to connect with Nicolas; thus, it was easy to deem his actions irrational and lacking motivation.

Providing detailed descriptions is also vital in making a good fantasy story. I appreciated how the author described even the tiniest detail for every setting and every character. I can clearly picture the characters and differentiate them from one another. However, halfway through the book, reading about all the contents of a room and the ingredients of the characters’ meals started to exasperate me, especially since they didn’t seem to have any significance to the plot.

I give A Place with Dragons 3 out of 4 stars. Despite my issues regarding the main character and some insignificant scenes, the enjoyment I felt reading about the world of Telluric Grand still outweighs these issues. I did consider giving a 2-star rating instead, but the book is also very well-written. I only noticed some typos and a few phrases that need to be reworded; thus, I decided to settle with 3 stars. However, I do hope that in the subsequent books the author would look into Nicolas’ character growth and expound more on Nicolas’ thoughts to make his main character more appealing to readers.

A Place with Dragons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jvez's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Too much descriptive details throw the book out of reach. Possible to believe that the author may have got carried away. Descriptive reading do help to provide a good visualization but not too much. I agree with you on the rating you gave to this book. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am happy the author took his time in describing Telluric Grand, the fantasy land. I wish he had not exaggerated with minor descriptions. He could have focused on character development more. All in all, this could be a good start for an interesting fantasy series.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
lydiasmoot21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydiasmoot21.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by lydiasmoot21 »

It would be cool to fight or even befriend a dragon. Awesome review.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

For some reason when a book involves dragons and thieves I am immediately intrigued. (I wonder what that says about me?!) But I also like the character development to flow logically. I don't mind suspending my disbelief (I'm reading a fantasy novel, after all) but too sudden character development can leave me feeling like I have whiplash and wondering if I accidentally skipped a page or chapter or two in the book. Thanks for the review.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 02 May 2018, 01:51 Too much descriptive details throw the book out of reach. Possible to believe that the author may have got carried away. Descriptive reading do help to provide a good visualization but not too much. I agree with you on the rating you gave to this book. Thank you!
Thank you for reading my review :) But I think this really happens sometimes with fantasy books. It's just too bad because I did like the premise of this one.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

cristinaro wrote: 02 May 2018, 08:45 I am happy the author took his time in describing Telluric Grand, the fantasy land. I wish he had not exaggerated with minor descriptions. He could have focused on character development more. All in all, this could be a good start for an interesting fantasy series.
I agree. Despite the issues I mentioned I'll probably still follow this book due to world the author created. I just wish he does something about the character development in the next installments. Thanks for reading my review :)
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

lydiasmoot21 wrote: 02 May 2018, 21:20 It would be cool to fight or even befriend a dragon. Awesome review.
Thank you for reading my review :) And yes, the fight with the dragon toward the end of the book also has a lot of surprising twists.
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Kat Berg wrote: 02 May 2018, 23:21 For some reason when a book involves dragons and thieves I am immediately intrigued. (I wonder what that says about me?!) But I also like the character development to flow logically. I don't mind suspending my disbelief (I'm reading a fantasy novel, after all) but too sudden character development can leave me feeling like I have whiplash and wondering if I accidentally skipped a page or chapter or two in the book. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for reading my review :) I also love stories about thieves and dragons though I'm also not sure what this fascination makes both of us. This book for me has really good premise just too bad for the character development. And I agree. No matter how beautifully-crafted a fantasy world is, this doesn't mean it's okay to overlook other aspects of the book.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Thanks for the review,
It is great to know that the book contains the. concept of dragon which is typical of fantasies.
Books are lovely.
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

I'm sure it's difficult while writing about a fantasy world as vast as this one appears to be, to find the right balance for what to describe in detail. It sounds like they went a little overboard with the rooms and the meals that didn't seem to mean anything. Of course the author is going to want the reader to perfectly imagine this world, but maybe not down to the bread crumbs on the floor? This might be why the main character's development was quickly looked over. However this book does still sound really fun! I might give it a try or suggest it to my niece at some point. Great review and excellent points!
jvez
Currently Reading:

Post by jvez »

Amberlily wrote: 04 May 2018, 14:45 I'm sure it's difficult while writing about a fantasy world as vast as this one appears to be, to find the right balance for what to describe in detail. It sounds like they went a little overboard with the rooms and the meals that didn't seem to mean anything. Of course the author is going to want the reader to perfectly imagine this world, but maybe not down to the bread crumbs on the floor? This might be why the main character's development was quickly looked over. However this book does still sound really fun! I might give it a try or suggest it to my niece at some point. Great review and excellent points!
Thank you for reading this review :) And yes, the book is still a fun read though despite my problems with character development and too much descriptions. You should give it a try, and I think your niece would love it too.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Thanks Jvez for the complete and thorough review of A Place with Dragons by Steven Lovett.

I am a big fan of C S Lewis and started reading the Narnia series at 7 years old. They will probably always be my favorites. I certainly thought about them as I was reading this review and I am intrigued as to what I will make of Nicolas when I read this book.
    maggiechap
    Currently Reading:
    Bookshelf Size: 61
    Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
    Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

the concept sounds original enough, but the other issues you mention make me wary. I'll probably pass on this one. Thanks for the review and your hard work.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”