Official Review: Little Bird by Seth Chambers

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Official Review: Little Bird by Seth Chambers

Post by kdstrack »

Great review. The idea of polymorphing is very intriguing. The author seems to go creatively into some areas of fantasy but also touches the emotions with current social trends. Nice job.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I don't usually read romance novels (or books where a romance is a large part of the plot), but this definitely sounds like an exception. One of my favorite comic persons is Mystique, as I'm entranced by those who can shapeshift/morph, and the polymorphs sound like a very interesting people. Unfortunately, I also know what it's like to feel unwanted by those who are supposed to love you the most; even though they were never quite this blatant, I always felt like my parents preferred my brother over me. I also like that this could be a moral story in regards to racism that we face everyday; while it's certainly not as bad as in, say, the 50s, there's still quite a bit of discrimination against mixed-race couples. As a melanated person (low on the actual melanin, though, obviously, *lol), I can't tell you how often I hear "my people" complain when a famous black celebrity ends up with a white woman. It's so sad, really.

In any event, thanks so much for the great review that touched on these themes and more. I recently read and reviewed The Different Kinds Of Monsters by this same author, so I already know that I like his writing style, and that he likes to write stories with not-so-hidden themes pertaining to humanity's condition. I will have to find the time to give this tome a read.
Alwaystkd
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaystkd.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Alwaystkd »

Well written review, thank you. I love that you gave the strengths and weaknesses of the story as well as the way the author has chosen to bring that story to life. I too get bored with character driven books rather than moving the story forward. I also appreciate that you rated the book and shared with us that the book contained prophanity and sex. That helps readers filter what the book will contain before they purchase the book.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

I was all set to be really excited about this book based on the cover and the premise you shared, but now I’m reconsidering due to the graphic nature of some of the scenes. Dilemmas abound!

I guess that's why we do these reviews, isn’t it? It’s good to know what is there to help people make informed choices. Thanks for an excellent review. You’ve given me good things to consider.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This book sounds super interesting. It's a tough thing to make a known concept (transfiguration/mutation) and make it unique to a story. Polymorphing definitely sounds new and distinctive. Thanks so much, I really enjoyed this review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This sounds like a unique book (and I love the cover, too!). I think that it is likely I would really enjoy it, although I do try to avoid books that have graphic sexual elements. I will have to try a sample and progress from there. Thanks for the review.
Flames_
Favorite Book: Ice Planet Barbarians 1
Currently Reading: Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Flames_ »

:D This is my kind of book. Romance+fantasy+sci-fi= a book I will definitely enjoy. Thanks for the review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The book cover is quite intriguing and so is the storyline. Your review makes me want to read this book.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Wow, Polymorphs sound so cool! I was almost beginning to think it was a real thing, what with the way you described it. The author must have done a terrific job! I can imagine Song Shia using her powers in all sorts of ways. I also agree that her brashness needed to be paired with the more conservative Alex. I think I'm going to devour this book. Thanks for the great review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

kandscreeley wrote: 01 May 2018, 08:09 I want to be a polymorph!!! That sounds so exciting. It reminds me of that character from Harry Potter that I can't think of at the moment. Anyway, sounds interesting. It's a book that I would probably enjoy, so I'll have to look into it further. Thanks so much!
Thanks for your feedback! I think you're thinking of Tonks! Song Shia's powers are very similar to hers.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 01 May 2018, 08:20 I idea of graphic illustration proves to give a good visualization in reading. I think I would not mind checking this out. Thank you!
Thanks for your feedback! The cover also caught my eye when I was picking it.
Lavidainlife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavidainlife.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Lavidainlife »

Thank you so much for a great review! From the cover and description I thought it would be something that would interest me. But after reading your review, I think I'll pass. While the relational aspects and character development sound interesting, I like more action to keep the story exciting for me.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This book is extremely intriguing! I used to love The Animorphs as a child. Something about changing your shape at will is so alluring! It sounds like the characters are well developed and unique.

Thank you for the review! I can tell how much you enjoyed this book.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

I've read and reviewed Seth Chambers' book The Different Kinds of Monsters, and I was intrigued when I saw that this review was for another of his novels. After reading your critique, I have to say that explicit violence seems like a running theme across his books, as well as his way of not sugarcoating anything XD

I'm intrigued by the plot, too--Seth Chambers seems to have a knack for unique storylines, and I'm definitely tempted to give this book a go. Thank you for your detailed review, I found it really interesting! :)
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

I love stories about humans with unique, atypical abilities. I love the honesty in your review, now I have to find this book and read it myself.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”