Official Review: Logic's End by Keith A. Robinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alwaystkd
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaystkd.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Re: Official Review: Logic's End by Keith A. Robinson

Post by Alwaystkd »

My favorite books are those that allow me to feel a connection with the characters. I don’t think this book would be for me because of that reason. I think three star review is honest and what I would have given this book as well. Thank you for a well written review.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Your synopsis of this book made it sound right up my alley. But I get enormously frustrated when an author takes a good concept and smooshes it with their own agenda. It's especially a pity because, as you say, this book was grammatically flawless. Either way, it seems like there were other strong points to make the story a good one :)
Thanks for your review, I really enjoyed it!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 May 2018, 13:37 Your synopsis of this book made it sound right up my alley. But I get enormously frustrated when an author takes a good concept and smooshes it with their own agenda. It's especially a pity because, as you say, this book was grammatically flawless. Either way, it seems like there were other strong points to make the story a good one :)
Thanks for your review, I really enjoyed it!
There's definitely a way to get your point across without pounding someone over the head with it and while still writing a good story. This author comes close, but could still use a bit more finesse. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Hmm, I am unsure whether I would enjoy this one or not, although it is definitely a change of pace for a science fiction author to take an anti-evolution stance, so that might be unique. But I have heard a read a lot on this subject, and so it might actually make the book tedious for me. Thanks for the review though!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kat Berg wrote: 01 May 2018, 14:01 Hmm, I am unsure whether I would enjoy this one or not, although it is definitely a change of pace for a science fiction author to take an anti-evolution stance, so that might be unique. But I have heard a read a lot on this subject, and so it might actually make the book tedious for me. Thanks for the review though!
I understand that. If you decide to read it, let me know.
—Neil Gaiman
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Nice insightful review. I am glad you touched on the abundance of characters and the need for a little more depth on development of those. I think the concept sounds good and compelling, so I hope the author listens to your advice. Lots of books in this genre so it has to stand out.
Everything happens for a reason...
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

cpru68 wrote: 01 May 2018, 14:37 Nice insightful review. I am glad you touched on the abundance of characters and the need for a little more depth on development of those. I think the concept sounds good and compelling, so I hope the author listens to your advice. Lots of books in this genre so it has to stand out.
I DEFINITELY agree with how many books there are. Oversaturated. Still, the editing was TOP NOTCH! Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Sci-fi and creation apologetics - cool, I'm in.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

teacherjh wrote: 01 May 2018, 15:33 Sci-fi and creation apologetics - cool, I'm in.
Nice! I hope you enjoy.
—Neil Gaiman
Delilish6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Delilish6 »

Great debriefing on the book's cortex. It seems interesting like the making of the movie species. Although, many books can loose the readers throughout chase of the characters. Generally not the onset of character's support is lacking throughout the book core. One lonely ship member falls to earth without her advisories announces the folded of her role and tends to stop short of grand. Therefore, us as reader are just shy of the 4 stars. However, younger book fans might find it adventures.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

The topic itself seems interesting enough. I am not sure, though, about the execution. Great review, as usual.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kislany wrote: 02 May 2018, 01:50 The topic itself seems interesting enough. I am not sure, though, about the execution. Great review, as usual.
Thanks kislany! It's definitely an interesting topic. It's another one of those that was very hard to rate. It had it's good and bad points.
—Neil Gaiman
Flindee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Flindee »

I think it's pretty obvious that the author was very much trying to make this sci-fi story a teaching tool and that it was very likely his intent to create these aliens as soulless beings without much to relate to. (I've read his other books and none of his other characters come out quite this 2-dimensional.) Therefore I can't fault him for making the aliens bestial and flatter than the usual villain. In fact, I thought he did a phenomenal job of depicting them exactly as he intended them to be and as I read the book I felt the horror of their lack of any trace of humanity. That was the whole point. I found this book gritty and feral, with a surprise ending that left me blinking at the clever sidestep. Hi-octane action like Road Warrior with Aliens! Speaking of the aliens, I for one, very much appreciated the character art in the beginning of the book. It was an excellent aid to my ability to picture these outlandish and mutated beasts. Who doesn't love some pictures? 3.5 stars at least.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 08:18 Sadly, though, I felt that the author was so busy trying to make his point that he neglected these characters. I just didn't feel that attachment to them that really makes a story for me. In spite of the action packed scenes, I found myself reluctant to keep reading at times. I attribute this to my lack of interest in the well-being of the characters.
In my experience, books that set out to make a point rarely make good reading. I'm sure there are people out there who could suggest exceptions to that rule, but that' s probably a debate best conducted in a different part of the forum. A very clear and helpful review, as ever.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Libs_Books wrote: 02 May 2018, 13:55
kandscreeley wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 08:18 Sadly, though, I felt that the author was so busy trying to make his point that he neglected these characters. I just didn't feel that attachment to them that really makes a story for me. In spite of the action packed scenes, I found myself reluctant to keep reading at times. I attribute this to my lack of interest in the well-being of the characters.
In my experience, books that set out to make a point rarely make good reading. I'm sure there are people out there who could suggest exceptions to that rule, but that' s probably a debate best conducted in a different part of the forum. A very clear and helpful review, as ever.
It definitely takes a VERY skilled writer to pull it off. Thanks for your kind words!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”