Official Review: Orope by Guenevere Lee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Re: Official Review: Orope by Guenevere Lee

Post by OloladeO »

Historical fiction is not my favorite genre though the storyline about the God's wasn't to cause the ocean to swallow the earth because changed their ways certainly peaks my interest. Congratulations to the author for winning BOTD.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Great review. I can't wait to sit down with this one. Will they make it or not?
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I have a hard time passing up historical fantasy, and I love that this one provides what seems to be a new angle on the sort of flood story found in most mythologies. I might have a hard time with some of the terms and it's a shame about the proofreading issues, but it still sounds worth a read. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Sylvia ocean
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sylvia ocean »

About the "book..
I found it rather exciting to read.i was eager to no more..it had a natural blend of almost everything.the maps at the beginning of each chapter also gave a different touch to the book which is truely admirable..the gods and how they were been worshipped is one of the most intriguing part is that of the scarifies.
Basically discussing religion is really critical as most people tend to either really get the message or would just result to getting angry.
I would suggest a less difficult way to pass the message to avoid difficulties as they may arise due to misunderstanding..
Some grammatical errors has to be corrected as well I will suggest you go through the book again....even if I didn't buy the idea of "to be continued"..
Aside that,it's a really nice book it just needs a little touch to be over the top...so for me it's a 4star...
laneyboggs30
Currently Reading: The Depression Cure
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laneyboggs30.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers
Reading Device: B00746W9F2

Post by laneyboggs30 »

I struggle with the idea of reading this book as it seems to be much different than what normally grabs my interest (romance novels, murder mysteries). With that said, I’m usually open to giving every book a fair shot. However, since this one ends with a “to be continued”, I’m going to pass for now. I just don’t have a level of interest in it that warrants that amount of dedication to the series. Thank you for your very well done, honest review!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

There's this mysterious feel to the book and it sounds a lot African, even though there's no mention of such a relationship. I'm curious to see who the messengers are and what Orope, the white snake, really is in the story. Since I love both history and fantasy, I'm looking forward to this blend. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Even though I am not big on reading about religion I think this book is an interesting read. I like how it’s a sci-fi/fantasy book and it talks about gods. I love reading mythology and fantasy is my favorite genre so I am going to definitely give this book a chance.
TheTrueNyree
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thetruenyree.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by TheTrueNyree »

"In an attempt to avert disaster, three people are chosen to be the messengers of Gods. These three set out to contact the leaders of the surrounding kingdoms, to try to convince them to change their ways and to return to the old forms of worship." This sounds like stories from the bible, where prophets also went around kingdoms trying to let people know the messiah is coming, to change there ways. I sure this could be an interesting read for some. I unfortunately am not interested in reading this one.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

This sounds like a book that makes you think and I like that. Plus, it's a in a genre I love. I'm looking forward to reading this. It's a shame about the spelling/grammar. Perhaps the author will go back and have it professionally edited. It sounds like a book that would definitely warrant it. Thanks for your insight!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

When sampling the book, I enjoyed the cultural descriptions such as their dress, rituals, etc. I am happy to see from your review that continues throughout the book. I am interested to see if the messengers are able to save the world. It is too bad that the mistakes affected your enjoyment of the book, I hope the author corrects the errors for a future edition. Thanks for a good and detailed review.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

As a fan of historical fiction, this sounds like it would be an epic read. The fact that a whole different culture and world is created by the author appeals to me. I will definitely give this a try.
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

Firstly, a great thanks to the reviewer for this insightful review. I am a huge fan of fantasy. However, themes of angels, God, messengers and most importantly of human sacrifices have never enticed me. Moreover, a book with numerous grammar errors is not appreciable also.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I find this historical fiction to be interesting about the belief in gods and the believers' obligations to live in ways that pleased their gods.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Aditi1992
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi1992.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aditi1992 »

Thanks for the review. Historical fantasy is a good combination as a genre. The part where it is said that the women have powers to communicate with god really fascinated me. I am not so much into historical genre but this work seems to be pretty entertaining describing kingdoms and their way of life in those days.
Domi-G
Currently Reading: Orope
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Domi-G »

Honestly, as a mythology nerd this sounds like the book for me! I like the idea of there being different tribes interacting, as it gives the potential for some great worldbuilding, and that, I believe, is the key to really investing a reader in a plot. I do wonder how graphic those human sacrifices have to be for this book to be inappropriate for kids, but I'll guess reading is the only way to know :lol: . Great review, looking forward to reading this book for myself.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”