Official Review: Sovereign's Pairing by E.L. Glenn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Sovereign's Pairing by E.L. Glenn

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sovereign's Pairing" by E.L. Glenn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sovereign's Pairing by E.L. Glenn is a fantasy novel stretching across multiple universes, or the “multi-verse.” Retired army officer Lance Corpral has seen plenty of war. He fought in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. At ninety-seven, most people would expect him to be nearly on his deathbed, but instead he is still healthy and fit due to his ‘ability.’ He never suspected other universes existed, let alone that he might be a key element to the fate of them all.

Mariah comes from the nexus universe, the central universe from which all the others derive. She is aware of the other universes and has been searching the prophecies for years, looking for clues to help them find the ‘Sovereign,’ a figure that will wield the ‘Crystal Sword’ and confront the ‘Antithesis’ to determine the fate of the multi-verse. When she stumbles upon the key prophecy that provides the answer to their questions, she also discovers that she is to be the Sovereign's ‘Pairing’ and must bring the Sovereign back to the nexus universe to fulfill his destiny.

Many traditional fantasy elements, such as wizards, elves, dwarves and dragons, exist in Sovereign's Pairing, but Glenn uses them in a somewhat unique manner by using them to help explain angels, demons and alien encounters. The fantasy races are moderately stereotypical, but I get the impression that Glenn does this to make his world seem more plausible and not out of laziness or from lack of creativity.

I really appreciated how Glenn wove his story together from beginning to end. By the end of the story, I felt that all of the loose ends had been neatly captured. Plot holes were plugged and characters developed through their adventures. I really felt like I understood Lance and Mariah well by the end of the story. Even the secondary and minor characters of the story had enough motivation exposed that I could understand why they made their choices and have at least some sympathy for them. Glenn took to heart the writer's mantra, “show, don’t tell.” He used plenty of dialog between characters to explain his world and kept the action going through the novel.

Even though this is a fantasy novel about a battle between good and evil, there is surprisingly little violence detailed. The battles are described with very little blood or gore. There are some sex scenes in the book, though they are not raunchy or gratuitous. Readers that have issues with religious undertones may wish to consider that there is a ‘Maker’ element and much of the battle between good and evil stems from this entity. While the religious elements do not proselytize, they do influence much of what happens in the story.

The biggest issue with this novel was the technical editing. Punctuation marks, particularly commas, ran amok throughout and need to be corralled. Questions frequently ended with periods instead of question marks. Homonyms also seemed to be an issue, and I found several instances where the wrong one was chosen. Some formatting changes would be beneficial to help readers understand when a scene changes or when a character is thinking something instead of saying it. I would also have liked to see the special terms, such as ‘Sovereign’ and ‘ability’ indicated with something other than the single quotes.

Overall, I really enjoyed Sovereign's Pairing and would give it 3 out of 4 stars. I appreciated how well Glenn developed the plot and characters and I found myself eager to turn each page. With a solid grammar edit, this book could have easily been four stars.

Sovereign's Pairing
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like a unique take on the fantasy genre. However, there are some things in your review that give me pause. The religious undertones, the explicit scenes and the technical editing. I think I'll skip this one for now, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Quite nice to have a sci-fi fantasy novel that centres on an older person. What a pity that book that seems to have been plotted meticulously should have editing errors.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This sounds unique especially with a main character so advanced in age. I think the fantasy part of the book, for me, removes any kind of religious offense. I think people can read a book of this nature especially if the message isn’t to “convert” anyone. Thank you for this insightful review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 07:22 This definitely sounds like a unique take on the fantasy genre. However, there are some things in your review that give me pause. The religious undertones, the explicit scenes and the technical editing. I think I'll skip this one for now, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
That’s why we do these reviews, isn’t it? I’m glad that I could help you make a choice either way.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

cpru68 wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 13:36 This sounds unique especially with a main character so advanced in age. I think the fantasy part of the book, for me, removes any kind of religious offense. I think people can read a book of this nature especially if the message isn’t to “convert” anyone. Thank you for this insightful review.
The advanced age was an interesting element, since it brought so many life experience thoughts to the story. It wound up not being a physical limitation, though, once you get into the story.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Libs_Books wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 09:56 Quite nice to have a sci-fi fantasy novel that centres on an older person. What a pity that book that seems to have been plotted meticulously should have editing errors.
I know! I completely agree with you here, especially since it seems like it would be easy to get someone to do even a basic polish to fix the majority of these issues.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds exciting. Hopefully they touch up the grammar.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

Technical errors in editing are certainly distracting, so I am disappointed to read that this story has so many of them. Otherwise, it seems very interesting. I am curious to learn more about how the author used stereotypical creatures such as elves, dwarves, et cetera...to explain things like angels. I also love reading about other dimensions and multi-verses; it's fun. Great review!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

What a fantastic storyline. Pairing in order to save Universes. This is definitely a book I will read for the future. Thank you for your very detailed review.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

teacherjh wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 15:12 It sounds exciting. Hopefully they touch up the grammar.
That's my hope, too. It would be a great book if they would do that.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

JuliaKay wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 15:13 Technical errors in editing are certainly distracting, so I am disappointed to read that this story has so many of them. Otherwise, it seems very interesting. I am curious to learn more about how the author used stereotypical creatures such as elves, dwarves, et cetera...to explain things like angels. I also love reading about other dimensions and multi-verses; it's fun. Great review!
Thank you! I enjoy alternate dimensions and fantasy elements, too, so this was fun to read. There were a lot of comma issues, but I found that I was able to mostly tune them out after a short while. If you can set that aside, you might enjoy this one.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Oh, this book sounds interesting! I think I would be disappointed if the elves, dragons, wizards, et al, didn't make an appearance, so I'm glad they did! I really enjoyed your thorough review, as well as your suggestions for improvement. :)
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

SABRADLEY wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 21:53 Oh, this book sounds interesting! I think I would be disappointed if the elves, dragons, wizards, et al, didn't make an appearance, so I'm glad they did! I really enjoyed your thorough review, as well as your suggestions for improvement. :)
It really was fun. I always hope that authors will look at these reviews and be inspired to improve their next book.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This book sounds super interesting. I'm not a huge fan of religious elements, but from what you say, it helps when there is a battle between good an evil. (God vs Devil type thing...)
Thanks for the awesome review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”