Official Review: The Birth of Malice by Jason Schmidt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: The Birth of Malice by Jason Schmidt

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Birth of Malice" by Jason Schmidt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As Uncle Ben once said, “With great power comes great responsibility.” But what happens when those with the power lose their sense of responsibility? This is just one of many questions tackled in Jason Schmidt’s The Birth of Malice. In a world where a chosen few were given extraordinary abilities, some became Paragons (heroes), and some became the Fallen (villains). But are the heroes really heroes? The villains truly villains? And where does Malice, the man in the midst of it all, fall?

After watching the murder of his wife and daughter at the hands of Lament (a psychopathic member of the Fallen), Adam makes a public statement against the Paragons. He’s had enough of them using the Fallen to keep themselves necessary and popular. Guardian, a Paragon, confronts Adam. During the fight, Adam discovers he suddenly has superpowers, and he kills Guardian. Empowered, Adam decides it’s time to eliminate the Paragons and the Fallen, both to avenge his family and to keep the corruption from claiming more innocent lives. Adam sheds his old identity, and Malice is born.

With The Birth of Malice, Schmidt drops us into a harsh and complex world where the lines of morality are blurred almost past the point of recognition. We are treated to the standard heroes vs. villains idea but with so much more around it. Are the Paragons truly bad, or are they just drunk on power? Are all the Fallen villains? Does Adam’s goal to remove them all make him a hero or just someone else with extraordinary abilities trying to play at being a god? Throw in a criminal mastermind (or three), and Schmidt has created a cast of the most uncertain characters imaginable.

Malice gets his powers from a Mr. Gray, the same man who gifted the Paragons and Fallen with their abilities. Unlike his predecessors, though, Malice does not have one consistent ability. Instead, he is able to borrow the power of any Paragon or Fallen nearby. If Malice kills that individual, he gains their power permanently. The catch—because there’s always a catch—is Malice can only use one power at a time. So, once he kills Guardian, Malice always has access to super strength, but when he is in prison with Wrath, a Fallen, Malice can either use super strength or Wrath’s ability to shift the Earth’s surface, not both. I found this a fascinating way to keep Malice in check power-wise—giving him a weakness, so to speak. Instead of kryptonite or the color yellow or some other external material, Adam’s weakness is his own ability to choose wisely. He potentially has all these powers at his disposal, but if he activates the wrong one at the wrong time, he might doom himself.

Another interesting idea Schmidt explores in this book is how powers change a person. Before gaining his powers, Lament was a normal person who showed no signs of psychotic behavior. After getting his powers, Lament became a psychopath, killing random innocent people for the joy of it. Immortal, one of the Fallen, is, as his name suggests, immortal and has the power to heal himself. As a result, he’s taken to doing whatever he wants, both because he knows he can’t die and to see what’s left on Earth that can affect him. At one point, he consumes bottle after bottle of alcohol to see if he’s still capable of getting drunk. Often in media, we see heroes and villains using their powers to be heroic or villainous. Less often, we see how those powers effect life outside of those heroic and villainous activities. It’s cool to think about having a superpower, but this book really made me question whether I’d want one if the opportunity presented itself. Would I want to live forever, knowing hardly anything on Earth gave me a reaction anymore? It’s a heavy question I’m not sure how to answer.

While the exploration of these concepts is incredible, the writing felt a bit lacking. There’s a fair amount of repetition, and the story gets weighed down by many words being used to say simple things. Partly due to this, the pacing feels slow. The heavy writing makes the action scenes drag. There are also long passages (sometimes entire chapters) of character introspection. While the glimpse into the characters offers much to the story, the information could have been spaced out to keep the insight but help the story flow better. There’s also a bit of head hopping, which sometimes took me out of the story and made it difficult to keep track of the action.

One of my favorite aspects of superhero novels is the powers. Schmidt came up with some great abilities, including some standard ones like telekinesis (moving objects with the mind) and super strength/speed. He also assigned some more interesting ones, like Wrath’s ability to move the Earth’s surface and Torment’s heat manipulation. Watching these various powers clash was so interesting, and Schmidt took things a step farther by introducing the idea that powers could evolve. Keeping track of who wielded which power wasn’t difficult, but unfortunately, keeping track of the various agendas was. Mr. Gray has a master plan, as does Boss, the largely unseen leader of the Paragons. There’s also Wrath’s plan, Chaos’s plan, the plan of a man named Clark Hanson, and many other plans. After a while, it got overwhelming. With so many branches of the story, I was gearing up for a truly mind-blowing ending. Without spoiling, I feel the ending didn’t live up to the mounting tension. Other readers may feel differently, but for me, too many loose ends were left untied, even for a sequel.

I rate The Birth of Malice 3 out of 4 stars. Despite pacing issues and trouble keeping the subplots straight, I enjoyed this story to the end. The incongruity of the final pages to the rest of the book was what made my decision for a rating of 3 stars. I never thought to rate this book any lower. The real humanity packaged in this science fiction tale gives the story amazing depth. I recommend this to fans of the science fiction and fantasy genres, particularly superhero fans. This book would also appeal to readers searching for moral ambiguity across a vast array of characters. There was a fair amount of swearing in this book, which felt a little excessive but wasn’t bothersome for me. If you don’t mind cussing and you fall into one of the categories of readers I’ve mentioned here, definitely give The Birth of Malice a try.

The Birth of Malice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Christian Puyol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Christian Puyol »

:D The birth of malice by Jason Schmidt
Is quite interesting
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Author Schmidt has certainly put forward an interesting display of characters whose names really match their superhuman abilities. The question of what is morally right or wrong is a very important issue that is staunchly addressed by the author. This book reminds me of Superman, especially the part about the kryptonite weapon. Thank you for your well-explained review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This really sounds like a complex world that the author has created. I love a good sci fi novel with great worldbuilding. Add to that the complexity of the moral issues and I think I'm going to have to check this out. I think a good sci fi is often a bit complex with various sub-plots, so that doesn't really bother me as much. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Natalie_Taylor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-taylor.html
Latest Review: The Eclipsed by Dara Kent

Post by Natalie_Taylor »

This sounds like a story that explores the concepts of role classification and how individuals fit into certain roles in society. The complexity of the issue increases when people don't like the role their assigned or when they don't feel like the fit that role. Throwing additional stratification and power roles into the mix increases the complexity of the issues.

It's disappointing that you think the writing was lacking. This is clearly an ambitious and very creative project, but bad writing can make any book harder to read. Great review! I may try to check this book out sometime.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I immediately noticed the interesting choice of names the author uses for the characters. It's true that trauma changes people, as does power. I like that the author weaves in contemporary into a work of fiction. Thanks for a great review!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

desantismt_17 wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 13:02 Malice gets his powers from a Mr. Gray, the same man who gifted the Paragons and Fallen with their abilities. Unlike his predecessors, though, Malice does not have one consistent ability. Instead, he is able to borrow the power of any Paragon or Fallen nearby. If Malice kills that individual, he gains their power permanently. The catch—because there’s always a catch—is Malice can only use one power at a time. So, once he kills Guardian, Malice always has access to super strength, but when he is in prison with Wrath, a Fallen, Malice can either use super strength or Wrath’s ability to shift the Earth’s surface, not both. ...
While the exploration of these concepts is incredible, the writing felt a bit lacking. There’s a fair amount of repetition, and the story gets weighed down by many words being used to say simple things. Partly due to this, the pacing feels slow. The heavy writing makes the action scenes drag.
This sounds as though it might have begun life as an idea for a game - the writer's got plenty of great ideas, but maybe the decision to write it as a novel wasn't the right one.
DestineyGuy
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by DestineyGuy »

I'm usually not interested in bools lile these, but yours is definitely an exception. The names, the way the story is set up, and the tone is very unique. You have some great details and your choice of vocabulary really sets it off. Great job on the book
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This one goes on my list to read. I love books based on an alternate world. This one reminds me of Red Queen where the society is split between silver bloods who have psychic powers and the red bloods who are almost slaves.
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

Inputting the same information to make the book longer will kill the plot and the book. I don't care for redundancy and so I won't be reading this book. Thanks for the review.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
butterflyinaweb
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterflyinaweb.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by butterflyinaweb »

I like your review of this book a lot. "Are the fallen really villains?" I am hooked. I have to read it now.
Happyday90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-happyday90.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Happyday90 »

Your review is like really awesome and its making me want to read this book.. It is so true that people abuse their power and transition from being a leader to a malice. So sad but true.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

This sounds like a great story, though I'm a little concerned about the last few comments. I still may give it a go. It sounds unique enough right now to capture my interest. Maybe I can over look the rest of it. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”