Review by bigirimanacelestin -- The Different Kinds Of M...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by bigirimanacelestin -- The Different Kinds Of M...

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Different Kinds Of Monsters" by Seth Chambers.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It has been occurring to me that I wrapped up the baffling scientific study, zoology during my gratified high school studies, but the day I met The Different Kind Of Monsters by Seth Chambers, I felt I know nothing. This novel is about a story of an incurious man called Dylan obsessed by a villainous monster, Emily.

In 139 chapters, Chambers wrote a scientific fiction on how dinosaurs in their pack subsisted and lived cooperatively during Jurassic period. Seth colligated this period with Dylan puerility, 1970 and maturity, 2001. A family of allosaurs, a mother and four children survived in Jurassic period. Mother taught her children how to hunt and survive and they grasp the lesson. On the other hand, at six age Dylan visited a museum where he observed a skeleton of a gigantic monster called Emily and from that day forth, this monster followed him in whole his life, though his family was nomadic. Changing schools and friends was ones that characterized Dylan childhood but finally he graduated and became a teacher in Chicago.

They are two things I loved most in this book. Firstly, I fell all over author's felicitous turn of phrases though initially it was a fuddle. The use of capitalized First, Second, Third and Last in the middle of sentences confused the reader from the first, but finally he found that they were allosaurs. Their mother thought them how patience during hunting is needed whatever over-solicitous condition they are. And again she never let them go to rack and ruin, but she thought them survival skills that helped them to subsist in mesh.

The second thing I liked most was the author's technique of alternating three stories; the story of monsters, Dylan puerility and that of his maturity. This idiomatic novel might have been a tedious story but this technique helps the author to grasp my attention.

The author used titles and chapters to help the reader to find any information needed easily but most chapters were not necessary. Let me clarify this statement so that it cannot be a fatuitous argument. Think about this, 270 pages were splintered into 139 chapters? For me this was a fallacious choice. After digging, I came out finding that some chapters have the same content and even the same paragraph. For example chapter 84 and 85 might have been one chapter.

The novel was well edited, but rather some grammatical errors and typos were found. I rate 3 out of 4 stars this book, in that, the author use numerous idioms and sophisticated words that will hinder the reader's enjoyment. I recommend this book mostly to parents due to naught or indecent scenes, moreover it contains far more meritorious lessons that can help children to go far enough.

The Different Kinds Of Monsters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bigirimanacelestin's review? Post a comment saying so!
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

This book definitely seems interesting, but I hate books that get too caught up in descriptive language and end up being unenjoyable. I am a bit torn on whether I want to give this book a try or not.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Good to know your thoughts on this book! I also reviewed this one and my take was a little different. Nonetheless, I must agree that the use of alternating narratives of three different story was a good strategy to keep the readers glued! I understand what you said about the chapter breaks, it is indeed baffling. However,in my opinion, bite-sized chapters somewhat helped to increase the pace of the novel.
I would be glad if you could check my review of this book and let me know what you think!
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

A story that takes us back to the Jurassic times sounds very creative. However, from your review, I didn't quite get if Emily was still alive and how she is able to follow someone.
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

Shrabastee wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 06:20 Good to know your thoughts on this book! I also reviewed this one and my take was a little different. Nonetheless, I must agree that the use of alternating narratives of three different story was a good strategy to keep the readers glued! I understand what you said about the chapter breaks, it is indeed baffling. However,in my opinion, bite-sized chapters somewhat helped to increase the pace of the novel.
I would be glad if you could check my review of this book and let me know what
you think!
Awesome comments. Thanks
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”