Official Review: Infinities Gate by John R Moore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Official Review: Infinities Gate by John R Moore

Post by Dolor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Infinities Gate" by John R Moore.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A bright-blue glow engulfed the entire hill where a whirling vortex opened and sucked Tamara Jenkins and James McKenzie into its eye on their honeymoon inside the Stonehenge during an equinox. The authorities notified Caladan and Trudy Jorgensen as their next of kin. Sebastian and Helena Maximov joined them in searching for clues in order to find the lost couple. Seeing an odd white disk with an infinity symbol and a Celtic design inside Tamara's makeup bag, they consulted professor Angus Argyle, who interpreted it as a Pict symbol which means "Infinity Gate". Following the clues to find the location of the lost couple, their journey to the mystical place that interlocks time, space, magic, and reality started together with the good versus evil battle legend with awesome twists and turns.

Infinities Gate by John R. Moore is book two of Tamara Jenkins, Sorcerer trilogy. The book was self-published on December 16, 2017. It has 170 standard pages (187 pages on Kindle, 297 pages on eReader Prestigio); 250 words per page. It is filed under the sci-fi/fantasy genre with underlying themes of good versus evil, sorcery, magic, historical myths and legends, and narrated in the third person's omniscient point of view.

My favorite part of the story is when the reason for the abduction of Tamara Jenkins was revealed. She was the direct descendant of Semiramis (the ancient queen of Assyria), who can only wield the most powerful amulet, Ysbryd, and Sgiath. She underwent rigid training from Ihk Bin, who taught her everything from controlling the elements, moving through time and space without using a portal, manipulating the plants, and communicating with the animals. She had played the most important role in the story and she is the character I like the most.

I was hooked from the start of the story constantly until the end. All the characters, including the antagonists, are likable. The story plot is well-developed with a perfect sway of the emotional arch. The historical terms, events, and fantastic world-building are well-researched. The mystical battle is very descriptive and the narration flows smoothly. If there is something I don't like in the story, it's the presence of too many errors ranging from weird and merged sentences, punctuation, random capitalization, grammar, and spelling. There are a number of redundant scenes and descriptions. It would have been better if there is a map following their journey from one place to another at the beginning, and a glossary at the end. Too many characters involved, and a few confusing historical terms slowed my reading flow a bit.

The ending shows a glimpse of more adventures to come. I enjoyed the story despite the errors and the downsides I had stated above. I rate Infinities Gate by John R. Moore 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to all audiences especially the fans of historical sci-fi/fantasy. Those who are interested in magic, sorcery, dragons, mystical entities, myths, and legends will enjoy this very wholesome story with thrilling adventures. After a very thorough edit, this book has a high probability of receiving a perfect rating from me.

Infinities Gate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Your enjoyment of the book shows through your review. I would be drawn to many of the elements you mentioned with the exception of sorcery and magic. For this reason, I’ll pass on reading this one for now. I appreciated your review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

stacie k wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 23:31 Your enjoyment of the book shows through your review. I would be drawn to many of the elements you mentioned with the exception of sorcery and magic. For this reason, I’ll pass on reading this one for now. I appreciated your review!
Sorcery and magic are not allowed in my religion, too. This book only mentioned them but did not delve into teaching the very specific aspect like how it should be done to make it work. Thanks for the appreciation.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Nice review Dolor! Is it a stand alone read or should you read accordingly? Book seems a lot about "out of the box" thinking. I can see that the characters in the story has done their part well in the story development, it is quite evident in your review. Thanks Dolor for the review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

It sounds like this has some great promise but needs a good editor to get it from promise to reality. Would that be a fair assessment?

I also had a question about the title. The title implies more than one infinity. Is that a part of the premise of the book, or should it have been a possessive (Inifinity’s Gate)?
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 06:26 Nice review Dolor! Is it a stand alone read or should you read accordingly? Book seems a lot about "out of the box" thinking. I can see that the characters in the story has done their part well in the story development, it is quite evident in your review. Thanks Dolor for the review!
Yes, it is a stand-alone book.

Thanks for the compliment.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 06:48 It sounds like this has some great promise but needs a good editor to get it from promise to reality. Would that be a fair assessment?

I also had a question about the title. The title implies more than one infinity. Is that a part of the premise of the book, or should it have been a possessive (Inifinity’s Gate)?
You hit the right assessment. Thorough editing could make this book perfect.

Since there is only one infinity gate, the title could have been Infinity's Gate. The title "Infinities Gate" is used by the author as the name of the gate.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm impressed you finished this book. I went crazy with all the errors/poor grammar and actually quit on this book (the only one I've done that with). I'm glad to hear you found things to enjoy :) Thanks for the review!
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

SABRADLEY wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 10:15 I'm impressed you finished this book. I went crazy with all the errors/poor grammar and actually quit on this book (the only one I've done that with). I'm glad to hear you found things to enjoy :) Thanks for the review!
I am into the genre and the themes of this book so I just overlooked the poor grammar. I like the narrations and how the story flows. I'm sorry to hear you quit on this. The errors made me rate it this low. A very thorough edit could make it perfect.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for a clear description of what sounds like rather a mish-mash of ideas and cultures - I don't think this one's for me, but your review made for an interesting read.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Libs_Books wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 13:26 Thanks for a clear description of what sounds like rather a mish-mash of ideas and cultures - I don't think this one's for me, but your review made for an interesting read.
Thanks for the compliment.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story is very exciting and intriguing with multiple themes. One more round of editing would make it perfect. I am glad you enjoyed this book. Thanks for your nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love the idea of them disappearing at Stonehenge. This sounds like a good read.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

This book is a complete mess. I've never stopped reading something so fast.

I am completely astounded that you managed through the whole thing. This work needs more than one edit. It needs a proofreader, an editor and his wife to nag him into making some sense. I couldn't even understand the part about the symbol found in the make-up bag, it was written so poorly.

Congrats to you! Your's is the only review I've seen.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”