Official Review: Wilder by Lena North

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Deborah munyoki
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 54

Re: Official Review: Wilder by Lena North

Post by Deborah munyoki »

:techie-studyingbrown: I have just started reading this book and I couldn't bring myself to put it down! Great prose and plot and i am already in love with it though am just at the point where she leaves the office when she discovers that "her father" is not her father! It's a nice read already.
Chanti Stargirl
Currently Reading: The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanti-stargirl.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Chanti Stargirl »

I enjoy fantasy stories and this book sounds intriguing. Thank you for the review.
Moureenkaranu
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moureenkaranu.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Moureenkaranu »

Thanks for the great review. I really enjoy young adult fantasy. The book sounds interesting; I can’t wait to read it.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

Curious to know how Wilder faces this changes in her life. A story full of mystery, love, drama and deceit is got to be a good read. Congratulations in BOTD and thanks for the free book.
godwin675
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B01EIVMAPY

Post by godwin675 »

A story enlightening when being read. Though I haven't read the story but the review sounds interesting and it seems it is a most add book to my shelf. I enjoy the character in the person of Wilder. Thanks for the story review.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I don't enjoy stories about supernatural powers and fantasy. This book sounds great for people who enjoy this genre. This does sound like a unique story line and it is always good to read things which are not run-of-the-mill.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

A well-written YA novel with intriguing characters. It seems like an exciting read, and I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Thanks for the lovely review. Even, I liked the character 'Wilder'. I found the sample intriguing. It was prompting me to read the whole novel. In the story, as Wilder travels around, she meets her family members and relatives, whom she was craving to see. This sounds like a good young adult novel. The language and the conversations appear to be good. On the basis of the review and my own experience of reading the sample, I recommend this book to everyone who wants to read a present genre novel.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

The genre of the book is not one of my favorites. However, the author seems to have gone beyond the normal tale to come up with such a creative piece. Wilder must have been surprised to find out that she had a family that she did not know about. Nice review.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Just judging from the cover, and the statement that Wilder is not the real child of the supposed father, I could readily surmise that there is a story related to that feather in her hair. It will be a sort of spoiler, but that goes with my analysis. What an interesting discovery to pique my curiosity. Thanks to your nice review.
bookva06
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by bookva06 »

fantasy, mystery, hope to read this book as she wildly search her own home and discover her own family, it will teach somehow how to be a good parents in real world...
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

I'm currently reading Wilder by Lena North, the first ever YA I'm going to read and I have to say I like the opening chapters. Wilder is a bona-fide YA heroine -- beautiful, conflicted and badass, she can street-fight to protect herself and is fiercely independent, but she's looking for love just like the rest of us. Her family situation is well - a mess and just how messy it is, she finds out on the day she buries her beloved grandfather and mother who both died in a car crash. The novel has all the aspects one looks for in a story about a young woman who just wants to find her place in life but must step up to the plate as the hero of her own life: a best friend in Mickey, conflict with a parent, a villain who can crush her heart again and again and of course, a gorgeous guy in the mix. The most exciting for me is that she gets to inherit a ranch and a house in a skiing community. She gets to have a place of her own against a breathtaking panorama, a great setting for a mysterious, romantic and heroic adventure. So, this book is one to start and finish... Thanks for this great review as it has encouraged me further to finish the book.
akankunda
Currently Reading: America (book one)
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by akankunda »

The introduction of wilder with tragedy itself reconciles the reader herself to deeply feel sympathetic and eager to findout what could have happened to willy
The plot has the back and forth switch style of narration where the writer tells us about the past and present that softens the conten for a young adult to familiarise with the content
For instance when wilder is in court and mr paolo opens up about not being her real father she draws back into her head trying her to get his approval.
During the court session we learn about the enormous wealth of willy and luckily enough she inherits the share.
Statement finally as uttered by uncle andy signifies that wilder has been set free
The use of Mickey and wilder as the young adults signifies the confusion young adults have on selecting their next life as portrayed when mickey returns with his parents at gilmore's house where wilder is intended to meet hawker"s family and friends
When they arrive at johns she only has mickey has her support system and while in the bar wilder"s strength and might is expressed when the guy keeps on pushing his hand to her clothes this scene itself shows the powerful young female we are about to encounter .
As a young adult in the text wilder"s overwhelming confidence when at the family reunion empowers her personality to freely join her new family with conflicting ideologies after having lost willy and then meets Gilmore as her new gramps
Hawker serving as a sheriff signifies the enforcement of the law and her rescue when she is sking and also his respect for the daughter's choices.
Having an environment full of brothers hare,magnus ,miller help hawker to sociably interract with his new found daughter plus mickey being wilder's best friend empowers her strong feminine development to suit the adult world
The divorce and restraining order for hawker coming close to his daughter plays a significant role on the rest of the text because wilder notices the striking resemblance she shares with this new family.
This text or story empowers young adults to embrace the new reality to set clear goals for their future.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 773
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

LV2R wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 20:24
ValBookReviews wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 13:25 Well, it certainly begs the question; do birds of a feather really flock together? With that, it seems to be an interesting read for those who enjoy unraveling family secrets, deceit, love and then some. Minus spoiler alerts. Best wishes to the author on the #BOTD 🌿
Ha! Ha! That is what I thought and you wrote it! Wilder's real dad's name is Hawk. I wonder what the other family members' names will be?
Hmm... Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. And thank you for your kind reply. :tiphat:
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

As a fan of strong female protagonists, I am interested in reading Lena North's "Wilder." Although the book contains grammatical errors, I am glad to hear that the author developed Wilder's character well; and I am also impressed that "Wilder" captured the reader's interest as a stand-alone novel without the need to read "The Dreughan" series. Since I am a fan of book series, I decided to place North's work on my to-read bookshelf. Thank you for the review! :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”