Official Review: Girl of the Prophecy by Kate McPhail

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Official Review: Girl of the Prophecy by Kate McPhail

Post by KRay93 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Girl of the Prophecy" by Kate McPhail.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Girl of the Prophecy by Kate McPhail is a fantasy book that follows the story of Kiera Kilgore, a shy and fearful teenager who suffers bullying at school. The situation in her house is far from being more pleasant. Her parents died when she was just a child, so she ended up living with her petulant aunt. If it were not for her best friend Jaime, the only person in the world who seems to care about her and the only one who defends her from her aggressive classmates, her life would be outright miserable.

One day, one of her teachers reveals himself to her as Théoden, a magician from a mystical land who tells him about a strange prophecy that will change her life forever. Almost without realizing it, Kiera and Jamie end up entering a land full of mythical creatures and constant dangers, since a form of evil not unlike the one they already know seeks to take over the kingdom of Ailarts'ua.

As the reader may come to notice by the premise, the plot of the book revolves around familiar elements of other well-known books of the genre. Moreover, the protagonist finds herself amid strange incidents with her classmates that involve magic, and she even ends up attending a school for magicians in the fantastic land in which the story takes place. Also, from one moment to the next, the characters move from one world to another through a strange portal. Finally, the magician who assists them appears and disappears whenever the plot requires it.

Most of the secondary characters fall in classic stereotypes, although the author does a superb job in emphasizing these characteristics in such a way that they prove funny and tolerable. While at the beginning it may be easy to emphasize with the protagonist, her evolution throughout the book is almost null and frustrating. Some of her actions do not seem to make sense. Even a love triangle that arises in the middle of the plot has a forced and unconvincing outcome.

The writing work is acceptable, even if it may prove distant from the characters at times. The description of their sensations is limited to a mere transcription of their thoughts into the text. The editing work could have also been a bit better, these kinds of lines not properly integrated into the narrative. Additionally, there are several errors regarding the use of double quotation marks, a couple of typos, and a few misplaced words.

As the book progressed, the reviewer began to lose interest in the development of the plot. The quests that the protagonist has to realize felt forced, their triggers vague excuses that resemble those of an RPG video game instead of those of a novel. The finale leaves no room for many surprises, although there is an interesting plot twist around the villain and a hint to a possible sequel.

However, the worldbuilding process, the conception of the different factions, and the conflicts that arise between them are well achieved, proving able to keep the reader hooked despite the book's shortcomings. The theme of bullying in both worlds is also quite compelling, which is why I believe I can give it 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to fantasy readers who look for books that do not detach themselves from common elements among the fantasy genre.

Girl of the Prophecy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KRay93's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

It seems so often these days that many fantasy or sci-fi plots are heavily inspired by RPG or video games. Is it just me, or does that tend to lend itself to those works having less plot and character development?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Nice review. What a story here. So sad that Kiera had to pass through a lot of pain while that young. I hope they finally saved the land. Otherwise, the story line is interesting.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

It sounded like this one had great potential at the beginning and then fizzled out at the end. How disappointing for the reader! It would seem that the author must work on becoming a little more emotionally attached to her characters in order to covey that feeling to the audience. The theme of bullying is a hot topic right now, so I thought maybe this was headed for some sort of positive message in that regard. Sounds like it needs some work! Thanks for this insightful review.
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I loved the depth of analysis in this review. It sounds like the author made a great beginning, but couldn't follow through.
Stacy_Morgan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacy-morgan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Stacy_Morgan »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 11:43 It seems so often these days that many fantasy or sci-fi plots are heavily inspired by RPG or video games. Is it just me, or does that tend to lend itself to those works having less plot and character development?
I agree, a lot of stories seem to suffer because of this, making this reader lose interest. It's sad, really, because those stories have potential, but just need a touch more work. And perhaps for the author to realize writing a book is a marathon, not a sprint. It's about the quality of the story, not just getting a book on a shelf. When that happens, and they wrestle through it, you can tell the difference in the final product.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Post by bnoy »

The start of your review gave me a lot of hope, but then I remembered your rating and I was confused. It's sounds like a solid read for a fantasy lover, it's a shame that it falls into the trap of common tropes with little follow-through. Great review!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Stacy_Morgan wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 11:45
Kendra M Parker wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 11:43 It seems so often these days that many fantasy or sci-fi plots are heavily inspired by RPG or video games. Is it just me, or does that tend to lend itself to those works having less plot and character development?
I agree, a lot of stories seem to suffer because of this, making this reader lose interest. It's sad, really, because those stories have potential, but just need a touch more work. And perhaps for the author to realize writing a book is a marathon, not a sprint. It's about the quality of the story, not just getting a book on a shelf. When that happens, and they wrestle through it, you can tell the difference in the final product.
Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head there. Quantity v. Quality once again gets in the way.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I feel like I've seen this before. Young wistful kids get whisked off into a distant land to face fantastical creatures and go on crazy quests. Yawn. Thanks for the review - I really enjoyed it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”