Official Review: Portals in Time by John Joseph Teressi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Portals in Time by John Joseph Teressi

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Portals in Time" by John Joseph Teressi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Portals in Time: The Quest for Un-Old-Age written by John Joseph Teressi and edited by Verlaine Crawford, is an intriguing sci-fi, fantasy, psychological thriller. This amalgamation of genres is bound to appeal to many readers. As the title suggests, the storyline involves time traveling. The author employs this ‘time-worn’ concept to write an entertaining and thought-provoking novel.

Follow the adventure of the ten Gripps of the Eye of Time Exploration Team in Acronos, a place beyond time. The team is on a mission to find a cure for aging prematurely, a disease that has plagued their home, Grippland. The ten Gripps are placed in a hierarchy (numbered 1 to 10 from highest to lowest position) by High Command (Grippland government) based on the perceived importance of the Gripp’s professional knowledge with regards to completing the mission. Going from top to lowest ranked their professions are as follows: military commander, a politician, businessman and publicist, an engineer, doctor, biologist, geologist, psychologist, and anthropologist. Ironically, these potential heroes of their land were all incarcerated by High Command for breaking one of the many rules that they enforce for the “greater good” and are on this mission with the hopes of gaining their freedom and a new identity once they return to Grippland with the cure.

I recommend that readers, take notes while reading this book. This story is very complex. The story is told in the third person throughout, but the focus is switched from character to character from time to time. Also, four of the Gripps have very similar names (Grist, Gritt, Grimm, and Grind) and even though their characteristics are very different, I know many readers can easily get confused. Fortunately, there is a section at the back of the book that gives us a brief profile on the different Gripps. There were also a few other characters in Acronos, that were central to the story. The author developed all the characters splendidly There were so many events that occurred in this book that I can see it easily getting an animated movie adaptation or even inspiring a short-animated cartoon series.

What I most enjoyed about this book is that Teressi wonderfully utilized his study of psychology and metaphysics to teach us several moral lessons. The entire story is an allegory to how we have neglected to protect nature and have become blind to the lessons that we can learn from it. Most of the lessons are delivered in nursery rhyme like poems. I was really impressed by how well the poems were weaved into the novel.

I would love to give this book a perfect score but unfortunately, there were a few demerits that I identified in the book. There were some grammatical errors that I could not overlook. They were not enough to take away the pleasure of reading the book, but they could have easily been noticed and removed if the editor had proofread the book one more time. For example, there was an instance where a few sentences were repeated, obviously mistakenly typed twice. There were only a few grammatical errors and since the novel was over 400 pages long this is quite commendable. Also, it was great that the book was full of suspense, so I expected that the book would have a conclusive ending, but it ended in a somewhat cliffhanger manner. I realize many persons may not mind the inconclusive ending but to me, it was a letdown. Overall, I enjoyed reading Portals in Time so I am awarding it 3 out of 4 stars.

Portals in Time
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

The review itself tells that the book is complex.I love straight forward novels.
Thanks for the review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

We really ought to protect our natural environment as we cannot survive without it. I love your well-detailed review.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This sounds like a really gripping story! Aha-ha-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaaaa! *cough, ahem*

Seriously, though, it really does sound like quite an intriguing tale with a great moral included. I also really like the idea of part of the book being written similarly to nursery rhymes; that sounds very creative!... Thanks for the great and thorough review!
Godgozielvis20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Godgozielvis20 »

Cant wait to read already
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

Seems like this book explores a number of interesting concepts. I also love books that are set in interesting, unique worlds, and this one definitely seems like it fits the brief!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I hate getting a cliffhanger if I'm not expecting the book to be part of a series. Thanks for the heads up!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds a bit on the complex side for me. When I read a story, I want to enjoy it without having to take notes. I'm glad you were able to enjoy this one but I'm going to skip it for now. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Take notes? Ummm no thanks. And I struggle when the characters' names start with the same letter. I would be soooo lost with this one. I don't want to have to think that hard. Great review. Is this intended to be part of a series or does it just leave you hanging forever?
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I love intriguing sci-fi, fantasy, psychological thrillers; there are very interesting and eye catching.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I found the summary in this review a bit confusing, so I can only imagine the complexities in the book itself! I may give this one a miss, but if an animation ever does arise I would certainly consider watching.
osayuwamen6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-osayuwamen6.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by osayuwamen6 »

This book about time traveling its an intriguing story but cliffhangers are not my kind of book, I appreciate the fact that you were able to spot out the inconclusive manner in which the book ended. Good review.
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

This book sounds hard to comprehend. I don't like it when authors switch from one character to the other it's so frustrating. Thanks for your review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”