Official Review: The Journey of the Chosen by Richard Nance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Official Review: The Journey of the Chosen by Richard Nance

Post by KRay93 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Journey of the Chosen" by Richard Nance.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Journey of the Chosen by Richard Nance is a sci-fi/fantasy book, first in “The Hidden World Chronicles” series. It follows the story of Dr. Charles Jennings, a history professor at the University of Ohio. A young man named Gavin Graham miraculously recovers from his terminal condition after running into him. Several years later, he receives a diary from Charles that recounts the events that led to his unexplainable miracle.

His story begins in the sixties. A woman named Sarah Parker, an anthropologist with whom Charles studied in his youth, performs an investigation on a series of ancient drawings of UFOs. While Charles dismisses her findings at first, a strange visit from a government man and a letter he receives from her leads him to reunite once again with his former colleague. Together, they discover a secret hidden in the depths of the Shambala Temple that connects ancient religions, the US government, and their own past in an unexpected way. For there is a whole world hidden beneath the surface of our planet.

The prose of the book is descriptive and focuses on the actions rather than the thoughts and feelings of the characters, their relationships and their way of bonding flimsy. While the connection between Charles and Sarah finds justification within the background of the plot, some of the friendships they build along their journey fail to convince.

In contrast, the plot manages to capture the reader from the very start. Conspiracies, secret tombs, and strange connections with both persons and historical moments of our existence unravel throughout the book to keep it immersed in the story. The conception of the Inner World is fascinating and sufficiently explored, the author exposing his knowledge of several branches of mythology from different parts of the world.

Mr. Nance, a student of electronics and engineering, employs a substantial load of technical language. He delves into the ways of speculative science and discarded theories to try to explain several of the extraordinary phenomena that occur throughout the book. Some appear possible enough, while others seem too improbable. As the plot of the book unfolds in its pages, the predominant thematic begins to mutate from science fiction to fantasy, a change that may prove uncomfortable for certain readers.

The editing work is second-rate. Out of a couple of typos, there is a vast amount of missing commas and extensive sentences that could use some pauses from the writing work itself. Some paragraphs and dialogues filled with exposure are overwhelming, their format inconsistent and a reason for the reader to move its attention away from the story.

Although it starts with a punch and appears to be on the right track for most of its length, the book loses itself halfway, its closing act flat and predictable. The epilogue leaves a door open for a sequel, but I'm afraid it will not count on my interest. Despite the underwhelming editing work and the weak characterization, the book finds some redemption in its first half’s plot, which is why I give it 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend it for those who enjoy stories that blend certain scientific bases with fantasy. It may also be of interest to those seeking a book within the genre with elements of adventure and with a few over-the-top action moments.

The Journey of the Chosen
View: on Bookshelves

Like KRay93's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I'm sorry to hear that it is flat and unpredictable! That, combined with poor editing and weak characters, causes me not to pursue this book. Thanks for the informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Becky Tranquil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Becky Tranquil »

stacie k wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 17:51 I'm sorry to hear that it is flat and unpredictable! That, combined with poor editing and weak characters, causes me not to pursue this book. Thanks for the informative review!
Agreed. I dropped a book solely for this reason. It felt like I could predict everything the characters were going to say and could tell who was gonna die and so on.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

When I was about 14, I was briefly keen on a book called 'Was God an Astronaut?' - this sounds like something from the same stable. As this is blatantly fiction, it could be quite fun, but not if the writing is as disappointing as you suggest. Thanks for a very clear review.
KRay93

Post by KRay93 »

Libs_Books wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 15:54 When I was about 14, I was briefly keen on a book called 'Was God an Astronaut?' - this sounds like something from the same stable. As this is blatantly fiction, it could be quite fun, but not if the writing is as disappointing as you suggest. Thanks for a very clear review.
There is a theory about "ancient astronauts" that arrived a long time ago, helping the human being of that time to move forward in evolutionary and technological terms. It is said that all the stories about mythical gods of the different cultures would have been made from them. These are mere theories, of course, but this novel does follow this concept, although it changes the place of origin of these beings.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

KRay93 wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 18:13
Libs_Books wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 15:54 When I was about 14, I was briefly keen on a book called 'Was God an Astronaut?' - this sounds like something from the same stable. As this is blatantly fiction, it could be quite fun, but not if the writing is as disappointing as you suggest. Thanks for a very clear review.
There is a theory about "ancient astronauts" that arrived a long time ago, helping the human being of that time to move forward in evolutionary and technological terms. It is said that all the stories about mythical gods of the different cultures would have been made from them. These are mere theories, of course, but this novel does follow this concept, although it changes the place of origin of these beings.
The "ancient astronaut" theory is basically the whole premise behind the Stargate franchise. Does this book seem at all like it had any inspiration there? Or does this book stand enough on its own to really feel different?
KRay93

Post by KRay93 »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 11:37
The "ancient astronaut" theory is basically the whole premise behind the Stargate franchise. Does this book seem at all like it had any inspiration there? Or does this book stand enough on its own to really feel different?
While it remains in line with this theory, it doesn't exploit it the same way as the "Stargate" saga. More than Egyptian gods or mythical creatures from other mythologies, it revolves more around figures, angels, and demons of the Bible. Even the figure of God has some weight at key moments in the plot. In addition, the "ancient astronauts" of this book do not have an exclusive connection with space and other worlds.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

KRay93 wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 12:41
Kendra M Parker wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 11:37
While it remains in line with this theory, it doesn't exploit it the same way as the "Stargate" saga. More than Egyptian gods or mythical creatures from other mythologies, it revolves more around figures, angels, and demons of the Bible. Even the figure of God has some weight at key moments in the plot. In addition, the "ancient astronauts" of this book do not have an exclusive connection with space and other worlds.
Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying the mythology behind this one. It’s often interesting to see the inspiration behind the books.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”