Official Review: Voyage of Pearl of the Seas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: Voyage of Pearl of the Seas

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Voyage of Pearl of the Seas" by Ruth Finnegan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Voyage of Pearl of the Seas is a 134-page fairytale by Ruth Finnegan. The author uses a peculiar method of writing, and couples that with a unique conglomeration of lyrical prose and poetry. The allegorical story is presented in third-person omniscient, allowing the reader a better understanding of the relationship between the book's primary characters.

The reader embarks on a journey alongside Kate and Chris, young adolescents that spend the bulk of their time in each other’s company. While at the beach one lazy afternoon, Chris discovers a log perfect for building a boat, and the friends-along with Kate’s dog, Holly-set out on the aptly named Pearl of the Seas. The ship becomes a vessel for voyages filled with danger as well as magical encounters. Time is brought to a standstill while the children are adventuring, illuminating the enchanting symbolism prevailing the story. Kate and Chris’s friendship is tested more than once as they learn many of life’s important lessons.

The storyline is whimsical and seeped in artistic liberties. Endearing sketch-style black and white illustrations make a charming addition, reiterating the nature of the book; it is intended for a pre-teen audience. I like that the story itself is simple, using very few characters and sequences, focusing instead on the interactions of the characters as well as the lessons they learn along the way. I also like that everything is open to interpretation, although it is fair to say that God is a recurring theme in the story.

This book is guaranteed to delight you or irritate you. While the style is original, it is also confusing and choppy. Sentences are fragmented more often than they are whole, and punctuation seems to be of no consequence to the author. It is very difficult to follow the story, as entire sequences are exceedingly vague, leaving the reader to connect the dots as best they can. The author relies heavily on parentheses as a means of exploring the characters' internal monologues, which are also highly fragmented. There are times when, regardless of quirky writing style, the editing clearly falls through.

I had a difficult time rating this book. If there is beauty in the author’s writing, it is almost entirely lost on me. Objectively, I would like to acknowledge the ways in which the author crafted an organic and potentially classic piece of literature. I can only offer this book 2 out of 4 stars, based on the difficulty I had following the story.

Voyage of Pearl of the Seas
View: on Bookshelves

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Thanks for the comprehensive review but the poor punctuation and the style of writing really turns me off so i don't think that this book is for me. Thanks
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Eileen R wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 13:37 Thanks for the comprehensive review but the poor punctuation and the style of writing really turns me off so i don't think that this book is for me. Thanks
Completely understandable!
Thanks for reading and responding :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Vague sequences and choppy sentences? I think I'll take a pass on this one. Thanks for the information, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01

Post by revna01 »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 17:47 Vague sequences and choppy sentences? I think I'll take a pass on this one. Thanks for the information, though!
Sounds good! Thanks for reading :)
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m afraid I’d be irritated by the confusing and vague writing. It seemed to have great potential, though. Thank you for your insights.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
revna01

Post by revna01 »

stacie k wrote: 15 Apr 2018, 01:02 I’m afraid I’d be irritated by the confusing and vague writing. It seemed to have great potential, though. Thank you for your insights.
Great potential, indeed! If only...
Thanks for reading :)
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I'm quite attracted to poetry, especially if it deals with the theme of friendship. Too bad this lyrical voyage was irksome, though! The fragmented sentences and confusing writing turn me off. Thanks for your sincere point of view!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Kalin Adi wrote: 16 Apr 2018, 20:58 I'm quite attracted to poetry, especially if it deals with the theme of friendship. Too bad this lyrical voyage was irksome, though! The fragmented sentences and confusing writing turn me off. Thanks for your sincere point of view!
Thank you so much for reading and commenting! :)
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for your review - I think I would be in the irritated category, though the author's conception certainly has some charm.
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Libs_Books wrote: 18 Apr 2018, 15:14 Thanks for your review - I think I would be in the irritated category, though the author's conception certainly has some charm.
Perfectly stated! Thank you for commenting :)
Stacy_Morgan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacy-morgan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Stacy_Morgan »

It's always tough to rate those 'you either love it or you hate it' books, so kudos to you for trying!
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Stacy_Morgan wrote: 21 Apr 2018, 13:46 It's always tough to rate those 'you either love it or you hate it' books, so kudos to you for trying!
Hi Stacy,
I apologize for not responding until now, I didn't notice this additional comment.
Yeah...I was trying to be quite objective but there were certain aspects that were simply too sloppy to be considered masterful. Thanks for your comment!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like one to skip. Thanks for the information.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

The more I read reviews on this, the less I like it. I love vivid language and old style writing, but the sample we got the other day just didn't cut it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”