Official Review: Retaliation by Martin Wallace

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Retaliation by Martin Wallace

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Retaliation" by Martin Wallace.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Earth has been invaded by an alien race. A space shuttle lands in front of you sporting the stars and stripes. What do you do? This is the dilemma facing Lt. Commander Scott Cave, commonly called SC, in the novel Retaliation: Earth Reclamation Force by Martin Wallace. This is a science fiction/war story set in the present day. Although it starts on Earth, it quickly spreads out into the rest of the galaxy.

SC was serving aboard the HMS. Edinburgh when the invasion of Earth happened. A human gets out of a shuttle that landed on the deck, he claims that he can take them to somewhere safe. This turns out to be a covert base on the moon. Joining with other evacuees, SC helps in the shipyards, where they try to build spaceships with which to repel the invaders. Unfortunately, they are detected before the fleet can be finished, and they have to escape in what ships that are available.

Out in deep space, the fight is on for the survival of the human race! Will they survive? Will they be able to do become what the book title suggests they will? These questions and others are inside Retaliation: Earth Reclamation Force.

Martin Wallace has a wonderful flowing writing style; however, this is totally ruined by multitudinous grammar mistakes and incorrect definitions. I found over a dozen mistakes in the preface; I didn’t bother keeping track in the main book.

The parts of this book that I loved the most, was the ingenuity and innovation shown by the main characters, this enabled them to evade death on several occasions when I thought they would be dead. Most particularly the scene where the space station was invaded by SC and a few marines.

The one aspect of the book that I found unrealistic was where the Earthlings had better ships than the invaders. We had a few covert troops looking for advanced technology, whereas their whole culture was involved in open space warfare. At best we could expect to be equal to them, though I think that is unlikely too.

The details in the book were very vivid, bringing everything to life, especially the space battles. I got carried into space with them and experienced everything alongside the characters. The major problem with the book was the errors. I found over a dozen grammar mistakes in the preface, after that, I stopped counting. Alongside the grammar errors, there were also scientific errors that further confused me as a reader. Though I found the story compelling, these errors mean I can give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I think that any sci-fi fan would love this book, along with anyone who likes war stories or stories where the underdog wins.

Retaliation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
LordAntony
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LordAntony »

Great idea, we need to see that alien race being unique.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Too bad such a potentially good story is ruined by errors. this being a science fiction novel, the author could've at least gotten all the scientific facts correct.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I don't think I could hang in there with a book so riddled with errors. It's a shame for an author with such an attractive writing style to not take better care. Thanks for providing your insights!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

I agree with stacie k! Good for you for finishing the story. Thanks for your review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I am a Star Wars fan, therefore, I am intrigued by your review of this book. I may add it to my shelf in spite of the many grammatical errors it contains.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

The idea of earth being invaded by an alien race is quite unique and fascinating so i'll definitely give this book a try. Thanks for the review

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”