Review by lbhatters -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Review by lbhatters -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by lbhatters »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The first in a trilogy, Alex Fayman’s Superhighway, is a suspense-filled urban sci-fi fantasy for young adults. Gun battles, computer hacks, organized crime, international travel, and murder all can be found in this suspenseful and brilliantly written cyber-thriller.

Raised from birth in an orphanage, Alex Fine, the protagonist, learned by chance he could transport himself electronically through computer network tunnels by squeezing a network cable. He enters the wires miraculously, follows the optic wires, and enters channels that have stored in them all kinds of fascinating data. Alex discovers he is able to travel instantaneously anywhere he wants, and can hack into the bank accounts of ordinary people, corporations, and even the CIA. His journeys take him from LA to Hawaii, Amsterdam, Miami, New York, the Caribbean, and further, where he experiences both adventure and ruination.

Alex Fayman, the author, has done a fantastic job describing scenes using detailed vocabulary that allows you to picture scenes and events that are either contrived or based on real places or circumstances. The idea of traveling via the internet that allows Alex the ability to pull up any picture he wants on the web and suddenly transport himself to that very place was just phenomenal to me. Both the descriptive language style and dramatic plot made it feel as though I was traveling with him on his adventures. The author is able to describe characters of the story in a way we can identify with them.

Alex Fine is a warm-hearted but somewhat self-centered young man. Alex’s tragic flaw - that he feels unloved, unappreciated and displaced - is due to his upbringing, so we sympathize with him. The lessons Alex learns are due to his choices, which stem from his encounters with people he meets on his journey and what he has decided to do with his superpowers. Although he is using his hacking abilities to help the poor and mistreated, his decisions are impulsive as he blindly rushes into situations he knows are going to cause him distress and chaos.

This book might not be suitable for young teenagers and children. There's a good deal of violence, such as graphic scenes of torture, murder, sexual encounters, and drugs. I think this story is suitable for a wide audience, including those interested in technology and travel, not just science fiction. The book had a few grammar mistakes but were few and sparse, and did not at all interfere with the flow of the story, in my opinion. Overall, I give this book 4 out of 4 stars as I found the characters to be believable and the plot exhilarating.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like lbhatters's review? Post a comment saying so!
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I agree that Alex was self-centered. I personally thought that he was very immature for his age with several of the decisions he made throughout the novel, specifically with Eva.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I also gave this book 4 stars as I really enjoyed the concept of this mode of travel. There were so many opportunities available to Alex and he didn't always take the road best travelled. I too found him to be very immature, even for his young age. If you have not yet picked up Superhighway 2, do not expect it to also be a 4 star book. I was highly disappointed after my enjoyment of the first installment.

This was a good review. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
lbhatters
Currently Reading:

Post by lbhatters »

kfwilson6 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 16:38 I also gave this book 4 stars as I really enjoyed the concept of this mode of travel. There were so many opportunities available to Alex and he didn't always take the road best travelled. I too found him to be very immature, even for his young age. If you have not yet picked up Superhighway 2, do not expect it to also be a 4 star book. I was highly disappointed after my enjoyment of the first installment.

Thanks so much for your comments. Is Superhighway 2 worth buying?
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

-C.J. Cherryh
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

lbhatters wrote: 12 Apr 2018, 17:39
kfwilson6 wrote: 11 Apr 2018, 16:38 I also gave this book 4 stars as I really enjoyed the concept of this mode of travel. There were so many opportunities available to Alex and he didn't always take the road best travelled. I too found him to be very immature, even for his young age. If you have not yet picked up Superhighway 2, do not expect it to also be a 4 star book. I was highly disappointed after my enjoyment of the first installment.

Thanks so much for your comments. Is Superhighway 2 worth buying?
I would say that it really is not. The network travel is very minimal and the story centers around Alex's very poor life decisions. He is hard to relate to and is a very selfish character. He never learns from his mistakes. There is nothing I really enjoyed about it and if this does turn out to be a trilogy (it is labelled as such but I have seen no mention of a third book), I would not read it.
lbhatters
Currently Reading:

Post by lbhatters »

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the reviews first before buying.
-Fransis of Assisi

-C.J. Cherryh
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I too thought that the author's unique twist on dimensional travel was really enjoyable. So I was disappointed to hear that the second book moved away from it. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
lbhatters
Currently Reading:

Post by lbhatters »

Spirit Wandering wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 20:28 I too thought that the author's unique twist on dimensional travel was really enjoyable. So I was disappointed to hear that the second book moved away from it. Thanks for the review.
Alex Fine finds himself in the crosshairs of history. He is on the run from a Russian oligarch and a foreign government. As he hides in Las Vegas, Alex experiences true love, battles drug addiction and watches the world explode into a major military conflict. Alex also becomes a father and is forced to relive the same fate his own father endured.

The book also has pretty good reviews. I think there are a lot of people who don't get all of the subplots, flashbacks and forshadowing. These books are not gor amateur readers.
-Fransis of Assisi

-C.J. Cherryh
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

lbhatters wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 11:53 Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at the reviews first before buying.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

I've read Superhighway and found it to be quite intriguing. I do have some issues with the plot though. Who becomes rich overnight without raising some serious eyebrows, especially from his mother in the orphanage? That aspect was not taking care of in the book. Still, I think it was excellent work. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”