Official Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Smith" by Sam B Miller II.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“What? What is this? My consciousness has been condemned to a hole in the ground for 3,000 years and now you’re trivializing my existence with a simple book review? I don’t think so! Jake, relax, let me take over, things are about to get messy! This reviewer is going to pay!”

“Smith, stop it. The readers of this review have no idea what you are talking about yet. They don’t even know what the book is about. Let the reviewer complete his job and perhaps he’ll be singing your praises.”

The interaction above, although tongue and cheek here, is one that is repeated over and over again throughout Smith by Sam B Miller II. Our protagonist, Jake, is currently living in Israel with his Father, an archaeologist with Harvard. On one rebellious evening, frustrated about being forced to live in Israel against his will, he wanders through the archaeological site. He, while trying to evade discovery by others on the site, stumbles upon the ancient relic that scientists, world rulers, and tyrants alike have been searching for over the last 3,000 years: the famed ring of Solomon.

The ring of Solomon gives the bearer great powers, but it comes at a cost: Smith. When Jake puts on the ring, he discovers that Smith (the name actually given is Smannanelcannic, but Jake can’t pronounce that) is the interface that communicates telepathically with the wearer of the ring, can control the ring's powers, and generally has very big plans for the wearer’s domination over the entire world. Smith has been cooped up for the last 3,000 years (ever since he filled this role for King Solomon himself), still has the social mindset of one who ruled in the time of the ancient Israelites, and is pretty much a megalomaniac. His cheeky dialogue with Jake (who is the only one that can hear him), his penchant for violence as a default response to antagonism, and his innate need to create a hero out of Jake, makes this relationship both fun and explosive (in many cases literally). In order to see how Jake handles his power, how Smith guides our young Padawan, and what becomes of Solomon’s ring, you’ll have to pick this one up for yourself.

This relatively short novel was a whirlwind of action, intrigue, and humor. My favorite part of the book is easily the interaction between Jake and Smith. You can just picture a snarky 18-year-old interacting with a disembodied, nearly omnipotent voice from 3,000 years ago, and see how much of the dialogue can be cheeky and amusing. Next, the action in this book was nearly non-stop. Ever since he came into possession of the ring Jake’s life has become a veritable battle royal. Between those trying to take the ring from him, those trying to protect him, and those to whom he has to prove himself, there are more than enough enemies on which Smith can demonstrate the ring’s power. Finally, despite its length, the book was able to keep me guessing throughout. Several times while reading this book I thought I had the twists figured out only to change my mind again mere pages later. This book really has a bit of everything.

I really have to stretch my imagination to find things to criticize in this book. There were only a handful of grammatical/spelling errors that I came across and they were definitely not enough to detract from my enjoyment of the novel. The thing that I liked the least about this book really counts as a positive point: it was too short. Clocking in at a mere 260 pages by Amazon’s count (but actually much shorter due to the way the Smith/Jake interactions are written), Sam B Miller II had me drooling for more. I’m sure the author could have expanded his novel into a longer, more robust work that could challenge even the best of its genre. Finally, one cautionary note needs to be mentioned. Although it wasn’t off-putting to me, there is a significant amount of violence and gore in this book. Smith and Jake use the ring to its full capacity often and the result is not pretty.

Based on the humor, the intelligent backstory, and the non-stop action, I have no qualms whatsoever giving Smith 4 out of 4 stars. It was based on actual history/lore and was able to fully engage me throughout the short time it took to read this story. Quite frankly, I hardly put it down once I started. I will certainly be keeping my eye out for future books by this author. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone that likes action in their books, enjoys a bit of humor when reading, and doesn’t mind a quick read. On the other hand, if you are squeamish, don’t like violence in your books, or are a younger reader, perhaps you should find a different story.

Smith
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I’m intrigued by this book. The interaction between Jake and Smith sounds really entertaining! I might just check it out, despite the violence and gore. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

From the cover, I wouldn't have guessed that this book contains humor. The story, however, doesn't appeal to me, so I will pass.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Eokoye
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eokoye »

I guess of a truth, you can't judge a book by its cover. Thank you very much for suck a hilarious write up.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Nice catch phrase at the beginning, very captivating. The ideology behind the book is new for me. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I clicked on the review because the cover was intriguing, I wouldn't have expected a book with a premise like this. It sounds like a fantastic read. I love interactions like you described between characters like Jake and Smith. I'm adding this to my TBR for sure!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoy books that mix in humor with action and intrigue, so this sounds like it would be really fast paced and action packed! I can only imagine the interactions between Jake and Smith, so I guess I'm going to have to find the book!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
beck0823
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by beck0823 »

The premise does sound very interesting, almost like Lord of the Rings meets Aladdin! I love the idea of the clash between two characters from such different backgrounds forced to share such "close quarters"
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Ha ha ha! What an entertaining review! It sounds like the book is the same, and I hope I get a chance to read this great tale of a teen going toe-to-toe with the interface system. The plot itself sounds intriguing, as well... Thanks for the introduction and enjoyable read!
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I'm really fascinated by this unique plot. This sounds like my type of book. Thanks for the review, i'll add this to my must read list.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I will certainly glue my eyes to the pages of this book for the future. Your review was just as engaging as the events described in this book.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

What an interesting concept! A kid finds the famous ring of king Solomon,a ring that comes with a voice (Smith) and an agenda. That Smith sure sounds cool! Action, intrigue, and humor make a good read. That is it based on an actual history is certainly a bonus. A pity about the handful of grammatical/spelling. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

This is a great review! Thanks! The humor in this book intrigues me. The action sounds nice as well. I am excited to read more about Smith!
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

Scerakor wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 14:02 You can just picture a snarky 18-year-old interacting with a disembodied, nearly omnipotent voice from 3,000 years ago, and see how much of the dialogue can be cheeky and amusing.
I imagine it would be quite amusing. Jake seems like an interesting character but the violence and gore is a bit off-putting for me. Thanks for the great review, I enjoyed the intro.
Simi_loluwa
Currently Reading: Dragonhunters
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simi-loluwa.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Simi_loluwa »

The review opening was different kind of good as I later realized it was depicting the Jake and Smith encounters in the story. Nice work. Would surely pick one to find out what finally happened with Solomon's ring...

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”