Official Review: Princess Grace of Earth by A K Lambert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Princess Grace of Earth by A K Lambert

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Princess Grace of Earth" by A K Lambert.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The planet Preenasette has been engaged in war for quite a while; the Truns are battling the Vercetians for dominance. As the years go by, though, the war is getting more intense and the Council of Vercetians has decided it's time to send the Royals away for safety. The three youngest are sent away, and Princess Tauriar (earth name Princess Grace) flees to Earth. Will she ever be able to return to her home planet? Will the two species be able to find common ground before they annihilate each other?

Princess Grace of Earth is a science fiction that is also listed in the young adult genre. There was very little in the way of romance as the book was more focused on the war between the species. So, in that area, the book would be appropriate for a younger audience; however, there was some graphic violence as well as some torture. Consequently, I would only recommend this book for mature young adults.

I was immediately intrigued by the plot of this book as I do love a good alien story. Unfortunately, I didn't feel that this was developed as well as it should have been. The author discusses at least 4 different alien species, but the descriptions weren't as detailed as they could have been. I never really got a good understanding of their characteristics and wasn't able to picture them in my mind. There were also several different worlds that were pictured, but the descriptions were the same - fairly lackluster. I was disappointed as this is half the fun in a good story, to be able to travel to foreign places.

At the same time, the timeline jumps around quite a bit from 200 years in the past to 2000 to 2012 and back again. Most of the time, this happens with a new chapter. There were times, though, when the time jumped around within a chapter with no warning. Along the same lines, there were numerous characters to try to keep track of. To make it even more difficult, the characters' names were not anything that would be familiar to the Human reader. For example, there was Birjjikk, Bana Camciette, and Mavor Hallot just to name a few.

While there was plenty of action, mystery and intrigue to keep my interest, it was lacking that professional polish that is so necessary for a good novel, especially concerning an almost overdone subject such as aliens. The novel could also benefit from a professional editor as I noticed grammatical errors throughout the book. While not overly distracting, they were common enough to make me think that this book has only been through a spell checking program. It's for these reasons that I rate Princess Grace of Earth 2 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this only to those that can overlook vague descriptions and grammatical errors. I would like to say, though, that there is great potential in this story. I would look forward to reading it again after a bit of reworking by the author.

Princess Grace of Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Smashwords

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I would have trouble keeping track of characters with those difficult names! Jumping back and forth in time seems to be a very popular writing technique these days, but it can be confusing if not done well. You have brought up some valid concerns with this book. Thanks for an informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I think that proper world-building and vivid character descriptions are fairly essential for me to truly enjoy a science-fiction or fantasy novel. Those aspects are part of why this tends to be my go-to genre when looking an engaging book. Great review, as usual, but this may not be the book for me. Thank you :)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

stacie k wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 00:18 I would have trouble keeping track of characters with those difficult names! Jumping back and forth in time seems to be a very popular writing technique these days, but it can be confusing if not done well. You have brought up some valid concerns with this book. Thanks for an informative review!
Thanks! I enjoyed the premise behind this one. It was interesting. I just feel like it could have been done a bit better! Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Christina Rose wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 01:24 I think that proper world-building and vivid character descriptions are fairly essential for me to truly enjoy a science-fiction or fantasy novel. Those aspects are part of why this tends to be my go-to genre when looking an engaging book. Great review, as usual, but this may not be the book for me. Thank you :)
I understand! I just felt like I didn't get enough information about the planets and aliens. I want to know if they have 5 suns or purple trees or if their planet is just like ours! Thanks for your comments! I always appreciate feedback.
—Neil Gaiman
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

This is an interesting Alien story. The review sounds interesting. I'll have to contact you so you teach me how to write such good review. Thanks.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kwame1977 wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 09:40 This is an interesting Alien story. The review sounds interesting. I'll have to contact you so you teach me how to write such good review. Thanks.
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the review.
—Neil Gaiman
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

The title and cover art look appetizing and the plot sounds intriguing. Too bad it didn't completly follow through in delivery. I personally enjoy good character development so I'd hit l the pause button on this one, thanks. Great review as usual.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this review. It seems like this was a good premise, but the writing and structural problems dragged it down.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

It is challenging sometimes when one writes a book and then finds his or her work rated simply as fair. I think the lack of detailed characters may have undermined the readers'' perception of the author's creativity. Thanks for a great review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Vickie Noel wrote: 06 Apr 2018, 23:49 The title and cover art look appetizing and the plot sounds intriguing. Too bad it didn't completly follow through in delivery. I personally enjoy good character development so I'd hit l the pause button on this one, thanks. Great review as usual.
I understand. There are some good parts, but it does need a little reworking. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Irene C wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 09:26 Thanks for this review. It seems like this was a good premise, but the writing and structural problems dragged it down.
You're right. Thanks for stopping by.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Paul78 wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 10:05 It is challenging sometimes when one writes a book and then finds his or her work rated simply as fair. I think the lack of detailed characters may have undermined the readers'' perception of the author's creativity. Thanks for a great review.
Thank you! I'm sure it's frustrating as an author, but this one can be fixed!
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

This one's definitely not for me, I think - what a pity the author didn't get this kind of honest, detailed feedback before publication.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Libs_Books wrote: 09 Apr 2018, 05:38 This one's definitely not for me, I think - what a pity the author didn't get this kind of honest, detailed feedback before publication.
I agree. It was interesting, but not as good as it could have been. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”