Official Review: The Dreaming Stones by G J Busiko

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: The Dreaming Stones by G J Busiko

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dreaming Stones" by G J Busiko.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dreaming Stones is a thrilling action adventure book with science fiction elements. It is written by G.J. Busiko.

Joshua Carver works for the United Nations Investigation Task force (UNIT). His leave of absence is abruptly interrupted when he is called to investigate a mysterious incident. After a massive earthquake, an unconscious, unidentified Aboriginal male was found in the Australian outback. It is a cause for concern because he exhibits signs of being exposed to large amounts of radiation. Josh and his team are instructed to find the source of radiation. While on their mission, they discover a lost civilization. This civilization was preserved in time and isolated from the rest of the world by a mysterious alien device. This device holds the key to unlimited power. It is the kind of power that could be disastrous in the wrong hands. Josh and his team must find a way to keep this ancient secret from the rest of the world. This becomes a daunting task when a powerful organization which operates in the shadows learns of their discovery.

I love that the book is written in simple terms. I could clearly visualize the gadgets and items that are described. I could imagine the narrated scenes with ease. My senses were involved in the experience. I attribute all of this to the writer's clear, simple writing style. It made the book a pleasure to read, enhancing the already engrossing plot!

Nothing kills my interest in a book faster than flimsy villains. They undermine any conflict that an author attempts to develop. Fortunately, The Dreaming Stones has impressive, blood-chilling villains - from brutal multimillionaires to remorseless mercenaries. They present a formidable challenge for UNIT. This stirred up feelings of suspense and thrill, especially during the fast-paced action scenes.

My favourite part was the innovative technologies that Josh and his team are given during their missions. An example of this is the SCARAB, which is short for Stealth Camouflaged and Rapid Assault Boat. This jet boat has a reflective coating which acts like a mirror, making the boat invisible to the naked eye when in open waters. It is technologies like these that give the book its sci-fi edge.

On the negative side of things, the main character lacked a backstory. After completing the book, I still knew close to nothing about Joshua Carver as a person. His past is encapsulated in two paragraphs, and it is just about his professional life, nothing more. I assume that this is because the book is more plot based.

The book has a number of minor grammatical errors, like missing commas. This gave me the impression that it was not professionally edited. However, this was not enough to detract from my enjoyment of the story. Hence, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

The Dreaming Stones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. The book sounds great. The fact that we still know so little about Joshua Carver could suggest a sequel.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

You’ve made this book sound entertaining and engaging. Elements of mystery, action, and suspense add to its appeal. Thanks for a great review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
John mukulo
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by John mukulo »

the book sound great and quite interesting.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I love the thought of a lost civilization and interesting technologies. On the other, I hate that the main character doesn't have a backstory. That really throws me off. Still, it might be worth a read. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Ha! I was waiting for the negative, the reason for the three out of four stars, and when you started talking about poorly written villains I thought, "here it is!" But no!! You've made this book sound really good, and a lot of fun - glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the review!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I'm caressing the idea to have a SCARAB of my own. I wonder where I could buy one. Hehehe. I enjoy reading science fiction books that are credible. Gadgets like the one mentioned before are not difficult to imagine that exist in our world. The plot of this book sounds quite fascinating. I hope the punctuation mistakes be fixed as soon as possible. Thanks for this adventurous review!
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

This book sounds very suspenseful. It is too bad that you didn’t really get to understand the main character’s backstory.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

This book sounds really interesting. Lost civilization and good villains always sound intriguing to me. I'm not a huge fan of a main character who lacks a backstory but I may still give the book a go. Thanks for the review!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
mercyalfred1994
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by mercyalfred1994 »

this book sound interesting, explained in a simple terms
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Sounds intriguing. I hope there is some hidden mystery about this main character that hopefully reading the book will unravel. Lost civilization? Even more intriguing. I definitely want to read this! Thanks for a well written review.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

londonmartine wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 07:46 Ha! I was waiting for the negative, the reason for the three out of four stars, and when you started talking about poorly written villains I thought, "here it is!" But no!! You've made this book sound really good, and a lot of fun - glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the review!
Your comment made me smile! Thank you!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

Awesome review! This made me really want to check the book out, despite the grammar issues. I love that we are getting a lot of minority content here at OBC and it's highlighting some rarely seen lit in the US and it's really opening up new worlds and characters to us.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I think I would have enjoyed reading about the cool technologies and gadgets. The SCARAB boat sounds very James Bond!

Thanks for your review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds like a great book. One day (when I'm a millionaire), I will have to see about getting myself a SCARAB. Thanks for the review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”