Official Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Re: Official Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by SPasciuti »

I definitely wasn’t expecting supernatural after your initial description, but this sounds so interesting! Kind of a fantasy story involving the president’s family. I’m definitely very curious! Thanks for writing a review!
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

Science fiction/fantasy or supernatural with whispers of horror, either way this sounds right up my alley. I'm not crazy about the lack of character development, but there's only so much you can do with an 80-page illustrated novel. I don't like the sound of unanswered questions either, but the concept is interesting enough that I can make past that. Thank you for the insightful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

Wow! While I did enjoy reading the sample on Amazon, I actually enjoyed reading your review more than the story! Very cleverly written and well-phrased, & thorough without giving anything away.

I noticed the errors in the book as well; it doesn't seem to be professionally edited. However, I was impressed by how well the author paced the action (at least in the part I read), and how easily he mixed background info into the running plot.

I didn't enjoy the vulgar language, though. I can appreciate it's realism for the characters involved, but for me it was distracting. Based on that and your review, I probably will not finish the book, though I might recommend it to others with a few disclaimers.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

It seems like it could be interesting, but I don't feel drawn to it. I will not be reading this one.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Having read the sample of the book, this review gives me the answers to the rest of the book. The unanswered questions about how the characters got out of their situations and what followed next don't seem to be answered by the book. I would like to follow the story to the end. Hopefully, "Some Guy" will answer this in the next book or the third.
Fati-bola
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fati-bola.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Fati-bola »

Contrary to the rating in this review, I believe the plot is tight, the characters well developed and the narrative is fluid and so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. True, technically, there are breaks in action and the errors - grammatical and typos leave much to be desired, still, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Anyway, thanks for your honest and detailed review.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I am usually interested in Fantasy and Supernatural novels; also, the horror aspect is even more interesting, to me, since I haven't read horror in a while. However, for some reason, I am not drawn to the plot. I don't think I'll be reading this one. Thank you for the detailed review, though.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

While this is not the type of book I would usually read, I really liked your review. It was very informative and made me understand more about the book after reading just the sample. It's too bad about the errors and also about the fact that the book doesn't reveal what happens next after certain chapters. It's great that you liked the book. Thanks for your review.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thank you for this insightful review. The theme and the storyline make it totally my kind of book. Also what you mentioned about character development piques my interest. Often in fantasy stories, I find more emphasis is given on the supernatural aspect and as a result, we do not relate well to the characters. I am glad this book does not have that weak point. But what you said about the end is discouraging. I am okay with cliffhangers if they promise to get resolved in the later books. Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case here.
melvs
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melvs.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by melvs »

I enjoyed watching sci-fi series and movies, I think even though this book got a 3 out of 4 stars. It is a good read because it is short and fast phasing. Good luck! hope it becomes a movie too.
Makena Mugendi
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makena-mugendi.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Makena Mugendi »

Thanks for your review, this sounds interesting. It is always fascinating to read paranormal books, and I especially like the spectral fighting they do in your description. Great work!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I can see some horror, torture and violence. Although these put me off, the nature of the review has wet my appetite to read. Thanks for the review.
Teeberg
Currently Reading: The Wall
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Teeberg »

The Wall" The author did a superb job of building the suspense, and the book very interesting, the does not have a week point I am okay with cliffhangers if they promise to get resolved in the later books.
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

I am not really feeling sci-fi right now and that paired with the less than stellar review of the book makes me not very interested in this one.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Wall, by Some Guy', analyses the book seriously and looks into it through and through! It very well presents the theme of the book!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”