Official Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by holsam_87 »

I like the idea of this book, with the characters being close and the storyline following supernatural horrors, I think I will give it a shot. It kind of sounds similar to Suicide Squad in a way to me, except it isn't bad guys catching bad guys.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
halismom1016
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halismom1016.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by halismom1016 »

This book is has some very interesting characters names. I'm uncertain if I would actually read this whole book, but this review gives me something to think about.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Nice pun at the end! Good review. I don't think it's up my alley but it seems to be apt for the present times. Congrats.
Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Post by Karencantley1 »

I don’t think this book is for me. While the supernatural and brothers-in-arms themes sound interesting enough, I don’t think I could cope with numerous grammatical errors as well as unfinished story lines - just too distracting.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Good review. Filled with enough detail to make the reader want to learn more, but not too much detail that would be considered a spoiler. All the points that you mentioned in this review were some things that I either had questions about from reading the sample or took note of when I start back reading. The cover of the book was interesting and the reviews that I read were intriguing, so I wanted to find out if it really was as good as the reviewers were saying. After reading your review, the desire to finish reading this book increased. Although I grew up in the era of comic books, I liked them but didn't like reading them because of the typesetting style of them. I first thought this was done in the same style as typical comic books. I glad that it isn't.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

Thanks for a thorough review. I agree that the cover art invoked a graphic novel, and I was surprised that it wasn’t. The author sets the reader up for a horrifying adventure against demons. I’m sorry to hear it doesn’t deliver the complete package.
Juby1Jay2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Juby1Jay2 »

From your review, this is definitely the book for me. Supernatural with a mix of horror? Oh wow, definitely my turn on :D :D I'm intrigue and I'd love to read the book
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the well-written and informative review! I won't be adding this book to my Want to Read shelf due to my lack of interest in the plot. I did notice a couple of grammar errors too but they didn't influence my decision. Also, if horror is indeed an element of this book, count me out. XD
Jamasenu
Favorite Author: Valerie Wilson Wesley
Currently Reading: Change Your Thinking Transform Your Life: 21 Truths to Renew Your Mind in Christ
Bookshelf Size: 1547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamasenu.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 125603

Post by Jamasenu »

Sometimes authors place so much activity in the first couple of chapters, to draw the reader in, and destroy the remaining chapters through boredom. Your review summed the book up nicely and even though the book sounds somewhat interesting, I'm going to pass on reading it.
To survive, you must tell stories.
― Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Good review. It sounds better than the picture of the cover would lead me to believe. I find it lacking.I'll need to give this one a go.
Butch Acuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butch-acuna.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Butch Acuna »

Although I would rather read real life stories than fiction, one cannot deny that it requires a lot of talent and creativity to write a book that was formed out of 100% imagination and make it believable and very entertaining. Congratulations to Some Guy.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

I like the cover art and I enjoy graphic novels, but I’m not sure this one is for me. I like stories with a lot of character development. Thanks for your review.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

Great review. I'm interested in reading the book but I will do it later. I'm not a fun of horror. I liked that you have mentioned every little aspect of the book (the good and the bad). I want to read about redemption and I tried sampling a few pages. I just didn't enjoy it and maybe because of the violence description and some vulgar words. Anyway, I will find the heart to read the whole book soon and also learn about Forge.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I was a little disappointed when I read the Amazon preview for this book and was only given one picture and pages of text. To me, like you've also said, isn't a graphic novel. That's merely an illustrated novel, which has its own merits, but I was excited about a graphic novel.

As far as the grammar and mistakes made, I'm glad it didn't detract from the story for you. I think it would for me, depending on how frequent and egregious the errors are. I'm one of those people with a "grammar police" personality and am bothered by poor grammar and spelling (I don't mean simple typos), though I don't correct others unless asked to. I try to keep and make friends :lol2: However, as I was looking at other comments on the Facebook post for this book, someone claiming to be the author's marketing manager said that since the review, the book has undergone some more proofreading and corrections. So, hopefully they've worked out the kinks now.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Not really my cup of tea, I'm afraid. The fact that there's a spelling mistake in the title on the front cover doesn't augur well for me, and I don't think the story is my kind of genre. Thanks for a great review though :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”