Official Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bnoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bnoy.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr

Re: Official Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by bnoy »

At first I thought that I definitely wouldn't like this book, but after reading your review and discovering how well developed the characters are, I think I've definitely changed my mind. Historical fiction is something I really enjoy, and war novels, if written well are something I find really interesting. Thanks for such a good review.
Leach69
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leach69.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by Leach69 »

I thought the book was quite interesting. Like the reviewer, I was left wanting to know what happened in a few instances and a few of the errors at the beginning had me quite confused for a bit. I had to re-read a couple sections to figure out what was really being referred to in those instances. Like the reviewer, I thought about a 3 out of 4 rating was appropriate. The characters were well defined and developed. The plot was very current and should capture the interest of many people.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
socleva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by socleva »

With such a detailed review it is easy to understand how the story in a sense fluctuates from being hard action to becoming a normal story without the usual twist and turns. Of course, as a story, it will have its own set of imperfections which will shift at various steps but if the overall story can capture the reader then I think it can make for great reading.
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Dragonfly6 »

I enjoyed your review, not only for the comic puns but also for the information about the actual graphics in the story. I can't say I have read very many graphic novels or comics, but the graphic novels I have read are mostly comprised of the pictures, which essentially tell the story.

I probably won't read this book, but not because of the pictures but because of the lack of a satisfying conclusion or answer in a couple of places. Thank you for such a great review!
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Having read the Amazon description of this story before coming across your review, I genuinely thought the book was a graphic novella and was a little hesitant to read it because of that (I'm new to graphic novels and comics!), even though I saw it recommended to me :P I think I'd be more willing to give it a read thanks to your critique, it definitely sounds interesting and the characters you mentioned pique my interest!

Thank you for this review--it's very thorough and detailed, and I think it's really helpful :)
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I would've liked a bit more information about the plot and learn just a tad more about the mystical beings they are trying to protect from, I don't think it's extremely interesting for me, based on this review and the authors name is way too ambiguous, which I dislike. Perhaps the story itself is a bit too broad, so I don't think I'll be check it out. thanks for the review though.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

Great review! I liked all the genres that you recommended for this book. Since I enjoy all of them and I am a sucker for a story about brother/sister's in arm; I am definitely going to add this to my bookshelf. I usually do not read graphic novels but I guess I changed my mind. A woman's prerogative I guess..:) Thank you for a well written review.
Abiola_1998
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Abiola_1998 »

The Book Is Very Intresting. The Story In My Own View Is Comic And Funny The Uthor Is A Good Writter. The Wall Keep On With The Best
mintk
Currently Reading: Emotional Cure for Autism
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by mintk »

#zero spoilers. You'll have to get in there yourself!
Before I even opened the book :congratualtions-smiley: To the author for capturing my attention with the witty name. And I love me a good graphic novel, especially if the story and the illustrations are wonderful. Some guy :animals-chickencatch: That chicken is my attention you got from the word go.
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

It's a shame to hear that this isn't really a graphic novel. I've been on the lookout for a good one of those. The plot seems interesting enough though. Seems like it would be a fun read.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

Awesome review! I found myself nodding throughout reading it- especially concerning the fact that is is listed as a 'sci-fi graphic novel', which I also did not agree with. In the Author's Note in my edition, he does mention that the second issue will see more of Cap though, so I'm assuming that we will be getting some more answers when it is released!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”