Official Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Re: Official Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by Jkhorner »

I enjoy reading your reviews :) I don't think this one is for me, but you certainly have given it a fair explanation and rating! (I also caught your "good trumps the bad" and the "keep a wall between themselves in the book" comments :D ). Thanks for an engaging review!
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I wonder if "Some Guy" has authored any other books. How would we know its the same guy if he has?...
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

So is the text written in a novel format or a comic format?
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

Thank you for that thorough and fair review! Your opening sentence actually made me chuckle. I'm glad the good outweighed the bad for you, even if some loose ends were left dangling all over the place. Some Guy is as great a pen name ad I've ever heard :)
Aphroditelaughs
Currently Reading: The new wild
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aphroditelaughs.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Aphroditelaughs »

It's amazing that the author could craft a whole story in 85 pages! That's a tricky line between novel and short fiction. I'm happy to hear the dialogue was good, as it has been weak in several books I've read lately and I have started to wonder why it is so hard to make people sound like people!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A graphic novella revolving around the adventures of an special ops team sounds exciting. Alas, I am not fond of brothers-in-arms stories or tales of redemption. Too bad about the bad grammar and the loose ends. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed the tale despite its flaws. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Oh my gosh, is this a comic or novel?? I'm really curious. This book seems very timely to be a BOTD since I still have LMS with Avengers. Anyway, at least there will be an interesting book that will keep me on my toes and think all the way through it. I love your review. I will definitely add this to my TBR pile.
harrymadede
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by harrymadede »

a paranormal thriller in which revolves around an ex UN special forces mercenary joey gunns who takes an assignment for POTUS a series of ups and down occur leaving him with difficult choices
Manzaka29
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Manzaka29 »

This is not my kind of read. Although I was taken in as I was reading the sample. Maybe someday I will seek it out.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This sounds like a great read for sci-fi/fantasy readers who like a supernatural/horror vibe with an action/suspense bent to it. It’s too bad about the missteps in the book. Thanks so much for sharing.
Last edited by Strangerthanfiction on 02 May 2018, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Emmanuel_joy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmanuel_joy »

I also really liked the members of the Wrecking Crew. In such a short book (89 .pdf pages), character development often suffers due to more attention being given to moving the plot forward. To an extent, this book's protagonists also got short shrift, but I was pleased that Some Guy (the actual pseudonym used by the author) was cognizant enough to give many of the characters their own idiosyncrasies. Gunns, for instance, chews toothpicks, and Bananas suffers from fear-induced stuttering. With a name like “DMoney”, one would think that Desmond would speak “Ebonics”, but he actually speaks in very cultured and clipped tones. I was also pleased that just like any group of men who spend a great deal of time together, the members of the team would not only joke amongst themselves but also squabble. It was these little things that allowed me to feel close enough to the crew members to actually care what happened to them both individually and as a team. Even though the peripheral characters weren't painted quite as well, they were all believable. By the same token, the writer also did a pretty good job setting up the scenes, and I could always picture where the action was taking place.

The writing in The Wall was simple, though not elementary. The speech was especially well done, with each character talking like a real person. Unfortunately, the author's use of grammar was less stellar. The book was so good that the errors didn't detract from it much, but there were many instances of incorrect punctuation, missing or extra words, and misspellings or incorrect word usage (like “of” when it should have been “off”, in one instance). More distracting were the few instances where the author used the first-person pronouns “me” and “I” even though the book was written in third-person.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

The last line of your review made me laugh. I read the sample pages of this one today before reading your review, and because it’s not my normal read, I found myself already a little disgusted by some of the language descriptive violence. But, if it gave me that kind of reaction, then I figure the author did his job with conveying an emotional reaction through his words. I kept thinking this was more like a comic book as well. I think for those who like this genre, this one will hit the mark. For me, it’s not my cup of tea, but this is why we need a mix of people like yourself who give good honest reviews of books. Good job on this.
Everything happens for a reason...
Snowhite189
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Snowhite189 »

If you're looking for a story wich has a different touches like if you wanted some action or horror and fantasy you may consider this book, so as not to keep us all hanging you should continue reading this from start to finish
What goes around comes around
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

I don't think the story of this book would interest me much but I like the fact that it is illustrated as well as you don't get that much these days. It's nice also that the reviewer states that the characters are developed enough to connect with even in the short amount of pages.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I think the author did a smart move featuring the wall in the book because it is a controversial subject and everyone is talking about it. I am not a horror fan so it is not for me. However, it sounds that it would have been great without those misteps. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”