Official Review: Blood by Nick and Chris Dunker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Official Review: Blood by Nick and Chris Dunker

Post by DesireeRose » 29 Mar 2018, 10:26

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blood" by Nick and Chris Dunker.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blood is an interesting book that failed in many ways but has potential. It is about four characters who have different problems in life, and their journey through them. All in all, it is a very fascinating concept, but the writing was not at all satisfactory. Through grammar errors, being thrown into a different world unpleasantly, many confusing parts, and being unable to see the characters' physical actions as they spoke, it was difficult to finish reading. If the writing were to be improved, the book would have been a much more enjoyable read.

To start off with, the grammar errors were multitudinous, and it was quite hard to read because of that. This was the first grammar mistake made, within the first few sentences of the book: “There was nothing right about this night it seemed to possess its own aura, it’s own unique darkness.” There are many mistakes in this, from commas missing to apostrophes that should not be there. Here is another short example, taken a few sentences after the first couple errors: “Due to his position in the town the man was quite used to having to give bad news, but this was different.” There should be a comma immediately after “town.” If someone edited this story, it would be more pleasant to read. With grammar mistakes made nearly every line of each page, I cannot stress how much the errors deconstructed the story and made it nearly impossible to read.

Secondly, the starting of the book thrust me into the world without warning, and I had no time to adjust. I was shook up, and it would have been considerate to have a gentler entry into the story, instead of being thrown into it without any explanation whatsoever. It was not enjoyable being forced to wrap my head around the oddness of it all.

Thirdly, there were many parts that were unclear. I had to reread them multiple times, and even then, I was still unimaginably befuddled. If these issues were cleared up in a proficient manner, it would be easier to read, and therefore much more engaging.

Lastly, if at least the facial expressions of the characters were written down, it would have improved the book significantly. This is because the reader could get a feel for what the characters were doing at the moment, besides simply allowing words to slip from their mouths. It would add to the character development immensely.

However, this book is very dark and depressing, and I honestly enjoyed that. If you like reading dark and heartbreaking things, this book is for you.

All in all, I rated Blood a 2 out of 4 stars. This book has much potential, and if someone were to work with the authors and solve the grammar errors, the suddenness of entering the world, the confusion, and the fact that the characters were slightly bland, this book would be given three stars.

Blood
View: on Bookshelves

Like DesireeRose's review? Post a comment saying so!

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 103
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: This Nearly Was Mine: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 422
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 30 Mar 2018, 09:55

Seems to be a book that responds for mood swings, as you mentioned dark and depressing but seems the grammar always takes the enjoyment away. Thank you for sharing your review!
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are :techie-studyingbrown: - Mason Cooley

EllieA
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA » 30 Mar 2018, 11:19

Thanks for the review! I think a lot of writers underestimate how important it is to have, at the very least, a skilled proof-reader look over your book. Some people are amazing creators but aren't able to pare down scenes that need the trimming, keep on top of their grammar while writing, and most importantly, step outside the scene and go over it from the READER'S point of view, not their own as the writer.

ValBookReviews
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valbookreviews.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by ValBookReviews » 30 Mar 2018, 14:20

Hmm... A very interesting and good review! I only wish to see the book cover.
"And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life". (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

londonmartine
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine » 31 Mar 2018, 08:49

I enjoyed your review - thanks for taking the time to explain how you felt about it and what would make it better. The typos and grammar would drive me mad, regardless of the storyline or potential.

Jkhorner
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 420
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner » 05 Apr 2018, 14:01

Thank you for the warnings! I do not like dark and depressing, and I think I would have been just as annoyed about the grammar as you seem to be. It really doesn't bode well for a book when there are two grammar mistakes in the first sentence. Thank you for the review; I now know to avoid this one ;)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”