The Curse Breakers by Denise Grover Swank

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
WillowStarSerenity
Currently Reading: Loved
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willowstarserenity.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

The Curse Breakers by Denise Grover Swank

Post by WillowStarSerenity »

After being tricked into opening the gates, Ellie is being stalked and tormented by the demons who have escaped and all the chaos that surrounds them. If that wasn't enough, a dangerous gang is stalking her to find out what she knows about something she has no clue of and a local cop is questioning her about all of the weird things going on around her. Dealing with her father's death and her struggles with Collin's betrayal, she seeks answers on how to get rid of the demons once and for all.

I feel like this book was way better than the first book. I didn't hate the first book, mind you. I just didn't really get too much enjoyment out of it. It wasn't a favorite by any means. This book was a very big improvement. There were some things I kind of smacked my head over, but not many. I feel like the author took more time on this book than she did the first. It makes me excited to read the third book.

The first book was basically filled with sex and foreshadowing. This book was filled with action and intrigue and suspense. There was still sex in it, of course, but I didn't feel It played as big of a role as it did in the first book. I really got absorbed into this book way more than I did the first book.

The characters were still a little cringy in this book, but the transformation in Ellie is very impressive. I also like that you get to see a bit more of the background characters in this book as well. I think I can even say that I've added a new book boyfriend to my list because of this book. I won't say who because I don't want to spoil things.

I couldn't give this book a full five-star mark, but I couldn't give it any less than four either. It was a really good book. I just hope that many readers can get through the first book to read this. They are really missing out on a lot if they don't. I'm glad I've chosen to continue on even though I didn't really care much about the first book.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

I like your review and the descriptive language you use to describe points of the book you like. You also do a lot of comparisons between sequils. The summary of what it's about looks quite good.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”