Official Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kathryn Price
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathryn-price.html
Latest Review: The Doughnut Boy by Michael R. Dennis

Official Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Kathryn Price »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Timewise" by Robert Leet.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Timewise by Robert Leet is a sci-fi novel that is deeply rooted in quantum physics. The plot and the ideas presented are fascinating, giving the reader something to really ponder as the scientific ideas that drive the story are gradually explained. Unfortunately, such a difficult topic inadvertently builds a barrier between the story and its readers, and the story itself leaves you with more questions than answers.

What if you could see into the future? Not even very much, but enough that could give you prior knowledge of important events, help you predict financial exchanges, or even rig them in your favor? Ron Larsen is a wandering student encouraged to pursue a college degree by daring and radical physics professor Regina Russo. At first he wonders why she takes such an interest in his personal life, but quickly realizes that she needs someone willing to listen to her unconventional and possibly dangerous ideas – ones that could change the realm of quantum physics forever. Over many years and countless conversations, she slowly explains to him the scientific basis behind a dangerous and illegal plan that ends up entangling them both in their own schemes.

Leet creates personable, intelligent characters that constantly challenge ideas, try new things, plan, create, and learn through their mistakes. Descriptions of real events scattered throughout the story, such as the dot com bubble bursting and 9/11, make the story seem cemented in reality, while exploring theoretical heights that are almost unbelievable, yet possibly just within reach of modern science.

Additionally, the scientific side of this book is fascinating. There are many concepts that I, not being familiar with a lot of science, have a hard time understanding, but the author does a fairly good job of explaining it to the reader in simpler terms and allegories, which are helpful. I found myself drawn into the scientific explanations, because they engaged my creativity and imagination by opening my eyes to possibilities that haven’t been explored in any book I’ve read before.

However, there are many sections that are hard to wade through simply because the science feels so deep. I had to take breaks to do something else in between chapters, because it felt like my head might explode trying to wrap my brain around these complex concepts and jargon that I didn’t fully understand. Leet’s biography on Amazon says that he is a structural engineer, which may explain a lot of the math and physics jargon that isn’t quite explained well enough for a layman to understand it.

On the moral side of things, I got tired of the main character’s constant bouncing from relationship to relationship, as if all the female characters (except Regina) were just plot tools instead of legitimately needed characters. To be fair, one character does make up for this towards the end of the book, though.

And finally, the book’s ending was less than satisfactory. I can think of several questions I had from the beginning of the book that were still unanswered at the end. It didn’t feel like the story really had a complete conclusion, though the author did come full circle by utilizing the game of chess as an introduction and conclusion to the book. Altogether, though, I felt unsatisfied with the story as a whole. I do not know if the book is intended to have a sequel, but I’d say it needs one.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Incomplete and hard to understand, the premise was incredible but the story itself needs refining. However, I enjoyed reading this book, and the quality of both the writing style and ideas represented impressed me. I think that earns back one of the points that the above reasons take away. And if you don’t mind a few unanswered questions and are willing to exercise your mind a little, you probably will enjoy it, too.

Timewise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kathryn Price's review? Post a comment saying so!
“If you believe only in facts and forget stories, your brain will live, but your heart will die” ― Cassandra Clare, Lord of Shadows
okyere 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by okyere 1 »

Wao this novel is fascinating
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think it's difficult with Sci fi to get a balance of enough science to make the concepts believable, but not enough to overwhelm. While this one tends to errors on the overwhelming side, the concept does interest me. It reminds me of the Nicholas cage movie... Can't remember the name. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I usually enjoy a scientific basis for a sci-fi novel - it's in the name of the genre, after all! It's unfortunate that this novel suffered from strong female characters, even if there was one at the end of the book. It sounds like this author was too disorganized for me to really enjoy the story, too.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

While I enjoy sci-fi, I tend not to enjoy it as much when things get over-complicated. It's good to hear the author explains things though, makes me think that he is knowledgeable about the subject. Sci-fi books that try to incorporate science but miss huge things that anyone would know from a middle school class is always disappoint. It's also unfortunate to hear about the female characters. It's a shame when they are just plot points. I'll probably take a miss on the book, but thank you for the review!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Ooh, I'm glad to read your review! It's embarrassing to admit that when I read the blurb for this review I immediately thought "Nope, that'll go WAY over my head!" :lol2:

I'm glad you chose it because you seem to have a masterful hold on what it included!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

This novel seems fascinating though a little challenging to the intellect.
I am glad some monogamy is established towards the end of the story; I cant help it, I'm a traditional.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

First, I stop by because of the cover drew my attention. Secondly, its about quantum physics which has lot to dive in my mind with the help of your review it helped me define more if I wanted to read it or not so thank you for your detailed!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, but I think all of the science would turn me off. I often don't care how the cool things happen, I just want to know that they happen! ;) Thank you for the review; I think you gave this book a very generous rating.
golem_key
Currently Reading: The Refugees
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-golem-key.html
Latest Review: Wandering Feelings by Boyko Ovcharov
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by golem_key »

I thought your review was well done. I was originally attracted to the book because of the title and it helps to know that the physics are solid. I think it is a common mistake by authors to think everyone can follow their particular interest. It sometimes leads to learning though. I encountered Schrodinger's cat in a Sci-Fi book and had to look it up on Wikipedia. At least In was able to get the joke on an episode of Big Bang Theory tv series.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 09:55 I think it's difficult with Sci fi to get a balance of enough science to make the concepts believable, but not enough to overwhelm. While this one tends to errors on the overwhelming side, the concept does interest me. It reminds me of the Nicholas cage movie... Can't remember the name. Thanks for the review.
Next is the name of the movie. I recently watched that and knew just what you meant. Things didn't go very well for him, I hope the characters in this book fair a little better. I don't care for science fiction books that get to heavy into the science as the strain on my brain makes for slow reading and I truly don't care how it all works anyway.

Great review. Thank you for your thorough explanation of your likes and dislikes.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Even though they "bend my brain" I enjoy reading novels that incorporate concepts of quantum physics. Thanks for the informative review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 09:55 I think it's difficult with Sci fi to get a balance of enough science to make the concepts believable, but not enough to overwhelm. While this one tends to errors on the overwhelming side, the concept does interest me. It reminds me of the Nicholas cage movie... Can't remember the name. Thanks for the review.
I love Nic Cage movies. I believe the one you are referring to is called Next
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

This really sounds fascinating. I would really love to be able to see into the future even if it's only long enough to know about important events. Great review
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I find time-travel stories interesting, but the romance might dampen if for me. Thanks for explaining everything.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”