Official Review: Miguel Traveler #1 by Daniel McFatter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Official Review: Miguel Traveler #1 by Daniel McFatter

Post by Natalie Charlene »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Miguel Traveler #1" by Daniel McFatter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is difficult to believe that Miguel Traveler #1: The Man from Texas is Daniel McFatter’s first novel. The story follows Miguel, a simple oilfield worker, after he is rudely awaken and taken from his second mother. The land may be the same, but the times have definitely changed, and Miguel is doing his best to understand the new world around him and find his place within it. Throughout the book, we learn about who this mysterious stranger is, who he was, and where he is going.

This book is filled with complex characters and emotions. One might expect an ex-oilfield worker from Texas to be hard, stoic, and cold, but that is far from the truth. Miguel is tough, but he is also sensitive, caring. He sees the best in everyone, giving even the people who hurt him the most second chances, opportunities to turn things around for the better. We could all learn a little something from him.

From the first chapter, Miguel Traveler #1 had me hooked with its vivid descriptions and mysterious science fiction/dystopian vibe. McFatter uses a Southern accent throughout the novel, giving it a conversational feel. Multiple references to the Good Reader pulls the reader into the story as an active participant, rather than watching the story through an open window, and the twists and turns of the plot and the jumps through the timeline will keep your eyes glued to the page, as your ride the emotional roller coaster alongside Miguel.

I rate Miguel Traveler #1: The Man from Texas 4 out of 4 stars. The novel is clean and well written, with a professional layout. The plot moves briskly along and the details have been clearly researched, which pushes this sci-fi novel nearly into the realm of possibility. Along with a main male character who breaks the stereotypical molds, Miguel Traveler #1 is filled with a diverse cast of men and women of different backgrounds in different walks of life. McFatter’s female characters show just how strong women can be, and the Simulants walking among the humans provide a progressive glimpse at the importance of compassion. Aside from a handful of typos and a few too many pop culture references for my taste, I have very little negative feedback on this debut novel.

I recommend Miguel Traveler #1 to anyone looking to get lost in a new world in a new time. I recommend it to those looking for a more progressive style of writing, to those who enjoy action-packed plots full of unexpected twists and turns, and to anyone who questions the way things are, the way people are, and wonders if it will ever truly change.

Miguel Traveler #1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Natalie Charlene's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oooh! A bunch of mysteriousness. You have me hooked already, and this is my favorite genre. I want to know more about Miguel! Thanks for the review. I'll look into this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Miguel sounds like a great character to get to know. The writer seems skillful to be able to draw in the reader so effectively. Good job on this review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

thank you for your review. This sounds like a really intriguing book. I will give it a go.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Sounds good - I liked your review! It sounds like the author has put a lot of effort into professionalism which is nice to see.
naicme32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naicme32.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Post by naicme32 »

Miguel had a large heart. I'm like him but many times I regret giving a second chance because the people don't value it. Harsh people have a way of changing good people.
Valkey+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valkey+ »

Positive feedback from the early readers, I'm so jealous about having not read it yet
Phoenix29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix29.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Phoenix29 »

Mystery, abduction, and southern accents! My interest has been piqued!! I have to read this now!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

The first two things I look for in a book like this are a scientific background and diverse characters. Thanks to your review I might have to check this one out!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Is it crazy that the subtitle really pulls me in? Just adding that "Man from Texas" makes it sound so impending and forceful. I love it!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

I thought this looked like something I might want to read. After reading your review, I will definitely check this out! I love Sci-fi and I'm glad to here it has diverse characters. I enjoy faster paced books that will keep me guessing, so I'm excited to read this one. Thanks for the excellent review.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

It is difficult to believe that Miguel Traveler #1: The Man from Texas is Daniel McFatter’s first novel.
Such high praise for a first sentence! The story certainly sounds intriguing, and I think you've done a great job of making me want to read it without having really any idea what it's about! Thanks for a great review!
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I clearly pictured the characters and plot from your review and am intrigued to know more! I will definitely be adding this to my book shelf, thank you!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”