Official Review: Miguel Traveler #1 by Daniel McFatter

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Natalie Charlene
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 88
Currently Reading: Ender's Game
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: A Destroyed Love by Ginny Roberts

Official Review: Miguel Traveler #1 by Daniel McFatter

Post by Natalie Charlene » 28 Mar 2018, 13:11

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Miguel Traveler #1" by Daniel McFatter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is difficult to believe that Miguel Traveler #1: The Man from Texas is Daniel McFatter’s first novel. The story follows Miguel, a simple oilfield worker, after he is rudely awaken and taken from his second mother. The land may be the same, but the times have definitely changed, and Miguel is doing his best to understand the new world around him and find his place within it. Throughout the book, we learn about who this mysterious stranger is, who he was, and where he is going.

This book is filled with complex characters and emotions. One might expect an ex-oilfield worker from Texas to be hard, stoic, and cold, but that is far from the truth. Miguel is tough, but he is also sensitive, caring. He sees the best in everyone, giving even the people who hurt him the most second chances, opportunities to turn things around for the better. We could all learn a little something from him.

From the first chapter, Miguel Traveler #1 had me hooked with its vivid descriptions and mysterious science fiction/dystopian vibe. McFatter uses a Southern accent throughout the novel, giving it a conversational feel. Multiple references to the Good Reader pulls the reader into the story as an active participant, rather than watching the story through an open window, and the twists and turns of the plot and the jumps through the timeline will keep your eyes glued to the page, as your ride the emotional roller coaster alongside Miguel.

I rate Miguel Traveler #1: The Man from Texas 4 out of 4 stars. The novel is clean and well written, with a professional layout. The plot moves briskly along and the details have been clearly researched, which pushes this sci-fi novel nearly into the realm of possibility. Along with a main male character who breaks the stereotypical molds, Miguel Traveler #1 is filled with a diverse cast of men and women of different backgrounds in different walks of life. McFatter’s female characters show just how strong women can be, and the Simulants walking among the humans provide a progressive glimpse at the importance of compassion. Aside from a handful of typos and a few too many pop culture references for my taste, I have very little negative feedback on this debut novel.

I recommend Miguel Traveler #1 to anyone looking to get lost in a new world in a new time. I recommend it to those looking for a more progressive style of writing, to those who enjoy action-packed plots full of unexpected twists and turns, and to anyone who questions the way things are, the way people are, and wonders if it will ever truly change.

Miguel Traveler #1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Natalie Charlene's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: 2079 by Donald P Robin

Post by kandscreeley » 29 Mar 2018, 07:34

Oooh! A bunch of mysteriousness. You have me hooked already, and this is my favorite genre. I want to know more about Miguel! Thanks for the review. I'll look into this one.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

stacie k
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by stacie k » 29 Mar 2018, 09:59

Miguel sounds like a great character to get to know. The writer seems skillful to be able to draw in the reader so effectively. Good job on this review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Border Reiver by Nick Christofides

Post by 420waystoreachthesun » 29 Mar 2018, 10:08

thank you for your review. This sounds like a really intriguing book. I will give it a go.

londonmartine
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine » 29 Mar 2018, 10:19

Sounds good - I liked your review! It sounds like the author has put a lot of effort into professionalism which is nice to see.

naicme32
2018 Reading Goal: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naicme32.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Post by naicme32 » 29 Mar 2018, 13:37

Miguel had a large heart. I'm like him but many times I regret giving a second chance because the people don't value it. Harsh people have a way of changing good people.

Valkey+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Valkey+ » 29 Mar 2018, 13:53

Positive feedback from the early readers, I'm so jealous about having not read it yet

Phoenix29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix29.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Phoenix29 » 29 Mar 2018, 19:17

Mystery, abduction, and southern accents! My interest has been piqued!! I have to read this now!

ViziVoir
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 205
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vizivoir.html
Latest Review: Determination by Keith Buff

Post by ViziVoir » 30 Mar 2018, 13:21

The first two things I look for in a book like this are a scientific background and diverse characters. Thanks to your review I might have to check this one out!

NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading: Neverwhere
Bookshelf Size: 383
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: The Candle Room by Daniel K. Gentile

Post by NL Hartje » 31 Mar 2018, 00:43

Is it crazy that the subtitle really pulls me in? Just adding that "Man from Texas" makes it sound so impending and forceful. I love it!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

00LynnMarie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by 00LynnMarie » 02 Apr 2018, 18:24

I thought this looked like something I might want to read. After reading your review, I will definitely check this out! I love Sci-fi and I'm glad to here it has diverse characters. I enjoy faster paced books that will keep me guessing, so I'm excited to read this one. Thanks for the excellent review.

Jkhorner
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jkhorner » 05 Apr 2018, 13:38

It is difficult to believe that Miguel Traveler #1: The Man from Texas is Daniel McFatter’s first novel.
Such high praise for a first sentence! The story certainly sounds intriguing, and I think you've done a great job of making me want to read it without having really any idea what it's about! Thanks for a great review!

maggiechap
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 260
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by maggiechap » 18 May 2018, 14:44

I clearly pictured the characters and plot from your review and am intrigued to know more! I will definitely be adding this to my book shelf, thank you!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”