Review by ddaumn -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ddaumn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ddaumn.html
Latest Review: Belas Rift by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Review by ddaumn -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Post by ddaumn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes is an adventure to collect crystals of myth to save planets and star systems from main character, Rynah’s, former fiancé Klanor. The book starts with an average day that goes from 0 to 100 real fast. By the end of the chapter everything is in shambles and the planet is uninhabitable. Rynah only makes it out alive with the help of her grandfather, Marlow’s ship, Solaris who has an attitude all her own. This is when she uncovers the secrets of what just happened and decide her next move.

Four heroes are call upon from the Terra Sector, specifically Earth, from different periods. They surely don’t get off on the right foot, but everyone adjusts rather well. Everyone except the girl from 2014, Brie. All the same the five go to collect the six crystals, having to fight Klanor’s men on the way. Things are not smooth for our heroes and Rynah is not completely honest with her new crew. She’s angry and takes it out on whatever flaws she finds. This usually means yelling at Brie who fails to excel at anything except shooting.

Brie’s skill is shown when the worst pirates take interest in Solaris and must be fought off. Twice. The second time the heroes aren’t lucky and get captured and disposed of on the planet Ikor. They survive with Alfric’s survival skills on such an icy terrain. When searching for anything else on Ikor they stumble upon a put-out fire and shortly after Obiah, a friend of Marlow.

The book has an interesting plot and kept my attention; however, I give it 3 out of 4 stars. Every plot point felt too convenient or staged. The struggles presented felt too easily resolved. There were also a few issues I had with the writing style. A lot of description took place within parenthesis when there’s not much need to do so. As well as the constant referral of Alfric as “the Viking” and only him; no calling Solon, “the scribe.” My final reason for the star-loss is the treatment of Brie as a coward and useless. She didn’t do much and was always griped about by Rynah. Her only room for character growth was presented by Alfric who was friendly and wanted to help her.

I did feel the book is worth a third star though; I did enjoy it. The characters were interesting and interacted in a manner you would expect. For example, Rynah had a futuristic tablet, while Brie compared it to the iPad and Tom, from the future, commented, “Right, you still use the iPad.” Small details like that stood out to me.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ddaumn's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”