Official Review: Leap Lives by nathan labeau

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Leap Lives by nathan labeau

Post by 1ditzyrn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Leap Lives" by nathan labeau.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Leaplives: An Untouched Space in Time by Nathan Labeau is a science fiction novel that follows a group of time-traveling space soldiers as they travel to alternate dimensions in an attempt to end a war. Jumping through space and time, these brave soldiers work to alter reality in these alternate dimensions in order to bring about peace to the universe. Through covert operations and full scale space battles, the protagonists attempt to restore peace and freedom to the cosmos.

In another space and time, there is a war raging. Forces from the Vertex Union and the United Allegiance battle against the evil of the Legion, fighting to keep them from obtaining information that would allow them to use time travel to take over the universe. Good and evil leapfrog through time and space, each side trying to outmaneuver the other in an intricate game of strategy.

I found the concept of this book to be interesting. The idea that one could leap into an alternate reality and live years at a time while only a second passed in one’s actual reality is definitely mind-bending. The author used these leaps to show the reader numerous worlds on multiple planets, each containing strange life forms, plant life, and weather patterns. Labeau also uses extensive detail to describe the technology of this time, from the spaceships battling for supremacy to the devices that allow one to leap in time.

I struggled to read this novel. While I found the concept interesting, there were numerous issues that prevented me from enjoying the book. Because this is a time-travel book, I expected it to jump around in the storyline a bit. However, this story follows 5 different main characters. Each one of these characters leaps through time, interacting with each other on several different dimensions. Instead of just following one or two characters, we get the interactions of these characters in each dimension from each character’s viewpoint. So that’s anywhere from three to five versions of the same scenes. This got very repetitive and very confusing. It was hard for me to keep up with what was going on in the story, especially when there are “solo missions” interspersed within. There were entire passages that I would read and then get an odd sense of déjà vu, as I’d already read this dialogue and setting a few chapters before, while following another character.

Another issue I had with reading this novel was the writing style. Labeau created an entire new world, complete with new languages and terminology. This got a little tedious for my tastes, as pages were spent describing various fighter suits and ships. Each one had a name, such as Transparent Ultimate Fighter (TUF) units. While I understand the need for creating a new world and the acronyms for some of the items, there were simply too many to keep up with. At times, reading the novel was a bit like reading a research study or textbook.

The book was also very poorly edited. Numerous spelling, punctuation, and grammar errors are found in the novel. Entire sections of dialogue have no punctuation, are missing beginning or ending quotation marks, and often have no capitalization at the beginning of the sentence. For these reasons, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. While the concept is very interesting, for me the execution was poor. Without extensive editing, I would not be able to recommend this book.

Leap Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like 1ditzyrn's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You know, I think I'd get very tired of reading the same scene from 5 different viewpoints. It's too bad that this one wasn't executed better as the concept does sound interesting. For now, I'm going to pass. Thanks, though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I'm a big fan of alternate reality novels. They have the ability to bend your mind and really make your brain steam. But there is a thin line between making one think, and making one totally confused. It's a pity the author failed to keep this story together. Thanks for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

The idea of time passing differently in a character's world as they live out an adventure in another is something I think is glossed over far too much in many fantasy books. While it's great to see an author explore that concept, it seems like the poor execution effectively ruined it.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

The concept does sound good but the book lost me with the levels of complexity you describe. Nice job with the review, sounds like a challenging read!
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

This sounds like a theme going around lately. Honestly, authors aren't spending enough time editing and proofing the stories to make them readable. It's kind of sad, actually. The concept sounds amazing.
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

Time-traveling space soldiers as they travel to alternate dimensions in an attempt to end a war. This is an interesting plot although I don't think it's for me.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by 1ditzyrn »

maggiechap wrote: 10 Apr 2018, 22:32 This sounds like a theme going around lately. Honestly, authors aren't spending enough time editing and proofing the stories to make them readable. It's kind of sad, actually. The concept sounds amazing.
I agree that the concept, if properly executed, would have been a great read. Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”