Official Review: A Prescription for Possession

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Official Review: A Prescription for Possession

Post by BookishCreature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Prescription for Possession" by Noree Cosper.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gabriella de Luca has been through some hard times – several centuries of hard times, in fact. Cursed with immortality and continually losing the people she loves, she’s thrown herself headlong into the seedy underworld of demons and devils that roam the world in search of unsuspecting prey. When she gets word that a powerful devil is stalking the Van Helsing brothers, kin of her long-dead lover, Gabby will do anything to take down the monster for good. Noree Cosper’s A Prescription for Possession is good old-fashioned supernatural thriller, and I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

In a word, this book is a romp. There’s romance, tension, and sarcasm in spades – not to mention a captivating setting crawling with supernatural creatures. Gabby is your typical blade-wielding, butt-kicking heroine, and it’s hard not to cheer her on as she struggles to take on the demons hunting the Van Helsings, along with the demons haunting her mind.

That said, I found that there wasn’t much that set this book apart from every other self-published book in the genre. I wouldn’t go as far as calling it clichéd, but tropes still abound, and nothing particularly new or fresh made its way into the plot. In short, it’s a standard pulpy paranormal thriller. While there’s nothing wrong with that, it might disappoint readers looking for something a little more elevated.

Looking at the book from a rather snobbish angle, it definitely leaves a little to be desired. Backstories are loosely and quickly sketched, robbing the characters of some depth. The worldbuilding is just okay – I found myself filling in a lot of the blanks in the setting with my imagination. There are a noticeable number of typos and punctuation errors, and while they don’t impede understanding, they got to be distracting.

Like I said, that’s the snobbish angle. This is not the type of book you look at from a snobbish angle. This is the kind of book you read because you’re a genre junkie and you want to immerse yourself in a comfy, familiar world of recognizable monsters, snarky characters, and romantic interludes.

This is not a book for everyone, but if your Kindle is stocked with series upon series featuring werewolves, vampires, demons, and all their friends, and if you love a butt-kicking heroine as much as you love a little bit of steamy romance, this is definitely the book for you. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars for true lovers of the paranormal.

A Prescription for Possession
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishCreature's review? Post a comment saying so!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Even if the author didn't take too many risks with the story, this book still might find its way onto my reading list! I'm trying to branch out a bit from traditional fantasy and sci-fi, so if it's a pretty good representation of its genre, I might pick it up.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

In a genre like this that is almost over-saturated, you really have to set yourself apart. It's too bad this one isn't particularly unique. Still, thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

It's such a popular genre! I've definitely read worse supernatural thrillers than this one, though. :) Thanks for the comments!
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

I don't know, is it snobbish to object to spelling and grammar errors? It sounds like you went into it with a good attitude, taking it for what it is. Glad you enjoyed it; thanks for the review!
Nanig83006
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanig83006.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Nanig83006 »

I love this genre and, while I don't necessarily mind the occasional trope, I do frown at partially developed characters and world-building and poor editing. Maybe I'll add this to my list for a rainy.Thanks for your review! :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”