Review by jenjayfromSA -- Fish Wielder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by jenjayfromSA -- Fish Wielder

Post by jenjayfromSA »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fish Wielder" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone knows that barbarian heroes in fantasy worlds have flowing blond hair, massively oversized muscles, a huge sword, a noble steed and a faithful sidekick who is usually much smarter than they are. When they are not beating someone up, they are crying into their beer.

In Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R (Jim) Hardison, Thoral Mighty Fist fits the description perfectly, except for his towel. He needs it. Blood, guts and gore are part of the working environment, but the author adds in grit, grunge and downright icky. When a monster vomits on you, you definitely need a towel.

This is a gentle spoof of the stereotype. The better you know your fantasy worlds, the more you’ll find to enjoy. References to The Lord of the Rings are obvious, except that our valiant party of assorted heroes are looking for the Pudding of Power, chocolate pudding naturally, but no less lethal as every dieter can tell you.

There are lots of smelly monsters and a sorcerer who refuses to die even when his head is cut off. It is most inconsiderate of him, as Thoral has to do three times as much work. There is also, inevitably, a beautiful and spirited elf princess with a crush on our hero. Does he return her ardour? It’s complicated.

It all races along at a great pace. A reference to The Wizard of Oz is also obvious and I’m sure I picked up a nodding acquaintance with Terry Pratchett.

About half way through there is an unexpected twist in the tale which brings our hero close to home and sets this madcap adventure up for a sequel. It’s a nice change of pace and, of course, reason for a few more tears in the beer. To give Thoral credit, he always gets upset when his friends die. By the way, there is a fish. His name is Brad and Thoral saved him from drowning. How about that?

The author deserves a Nobel prize for names, which are either yucky (Glurpgrond), inappropriate (Tampon) or sweet (Tyncie CheeChaw CheeChee WeeWaw), and descriptive geography, such as the Briny Sea, the Great Wavey Ocean and the Sinister Tower. Really?

The colorful cover in Discworld style could lead you to hope for Terry Pratchett reborn. I’m afraid not, but it’s good fun. It will appeal to fantasy fans and those who like a touch of wry humour with their guts and gore. I didn’t spot any grammatical errors; perhaps I was too busy reaching for my towel. I give this 4 out of 4 stars.

Fish Wielder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like jenjayfromSA's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Nothing is quite like Terry Pratchett, but this book does sound interesting. I'm glad you liked it.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Your review, similar to the book, is quite entertaining! I’m not sure I would catch all the embedded references as this is not my preferred genre, but it sounds fun anyway!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Your review is quite captivating and captures all the important aspects of the book. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is however not up my alley!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

What a great review! This book definitely sounds like it's up my street. Another one to add to the list :-)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

It’s a nice change of pace and, of course, reason for a few more tears in the beer.
Nice rhyming! Great review! Seems like you really enjoyed reading this book. Thanks for the review!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

You wrote a humorous review about the names used in the book and the need for a towel. You must be very familiar with this type of fantasy-style book.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Goodness yes, it's one of my favourite genres. I've been reading fantasy since I was a kid. Towel - yeah, I've just made another connection. In Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy a towel was the one essential! This author obviously read that one too!
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

What a great review, you're another reviewer that entertains, I'm learning so much from people on here (I tend to just state facts, boring). Sounds like a really good book, the names and places are maybe unimaginative, or too imaginative I can't decide. Loved your comment "and a sorcerer who refuses to die even when his head is cut off. It is most inconsiderate of him".
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

You've made the book more interesting than what its title initially made me think it to be; your mention of the Lord of the Rings and a noble steed would probably even seal the deal. Thank you for your vivid and engaging review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Whoa... Great review! I am definitely going to read this. All those references to my favourite fantasy books you mentioned would be awesome! Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”