Official Review: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Re: Official Review: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David ...

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Thank you for this great review. I have not yet read any novel depicting post-apocalyptic world, so I am hoping this book should be a good start for me. I believe the events which lead to the apocalypse in the book are very much relevant in today's world. Even the conflict between the two schools of thought, one preferring use of scientific advances and the other wanting to go back to the nature is also something we see today. This book is definitely going to my 'to read' shelf.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

This sounds like a wonderful distopian and I really think I might love this one. Thanks for writing a review.
Fati-bola
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fati-bola.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Fati-bola »

The review got me thinking. Indeed , I want to get a copy of this book for myself. I'd like to know what happened between the two factions: did the world lean towards the genetic modifications or did it go the "old ways". It would definitely be an interesting and intriguing read. Thanks for this interesting review.
Samanthajayne12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samanthajayne12.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Samanthajayne12 »

This story seems very interesting! I like how you say it makes you question your life choices and appears to be describing something that could actually be possible in the near future. I agree that I would find the formatting very distracting!
olufemijoseph
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by olufemijoseph »

The plot of this book is unique, the suspense has a way of stimulating my curiosity, the philosophical debate makes me think of where the world is heading today. Congrats on BOTD
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295

Post by tamdlyte »

Ahhh... the ol' "technology is bad, the old ways were good" dystopian post-apocalypse! So glad I don't live there (where apparently there are no paragraph indents??? LOL)
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I've read the first chapters and I was surprised to see that I actually enjoyed discovering the post-apocalyptic world together with David. I felt the need to know more, but having to wait for David to learn one thing or another did not spoil the pleasure of reading. It only made me more curious. Thanks for an interesting review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks, by William F. Aicher', explains well, the theme of the story! It also warns the readers that the beginning of the story might not be interesting! The economic rating (3 out of 4 stars) of the story, makes the review, a useful one!
enojojoseph
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enojojoseph.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by enojojoseph »

What a funny title "The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr David S Sparks".
I believe the review deals strongly with the adverse effects of genetically modified foods on the populace,
i will definitely add this to my library.
PrynzBumba
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by PrynzBumba »

The review was an interesting read, I must commend the author. The story line is an interesting one and from the review I feel like I am already in the Book.

I also think the main purpose of this forum is to rate the performance of the Author; correct me if am wrong.... Therefore the underlying issues of Formatting style shouldn't have mattered that much, reason being that, if the book were to be published, the standard international Format would be applied for it to be approved for publication. I mean the book has to go through editorial scrutiny for it to be of standards before publication. In other words, if a reviewed book is to follow the exact format, would there be anything to be reviewed?

For instance if I have a book to be Reviewed my list worries would be the formatting style because it can be adjusted easily plus I might want to compress the pages and what is the best way than reducing the Format?... Also the write up might be depended on the Format style of the gadget or device used in typing.

Typos are strong errors to be identified, paragraphing should be a problem, story line, spellings, characters, Punctuation etc, but personally I think Formatting style shouldn't affect a book's rating. Thanks. Amehp.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Very interesting and very strange book. I like it!
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book has an interesting premise. I do like post-apocalyptic stories. I was a little confused by this one when I read the sample. Your review made things a lot clearer but there's still an air of mystery to this book, as the protagonist doesn't remember anything and the reader can't know more than him. It seems another book that is focused on whether technology is good or evil. The formatting issue is weird for sure. I don't know what to make of the book ending in a cliffhanger. There will probably be a sequel, but I do prefer for books to have definitive endings. Thanks for the great review. I really enjoyed reading it.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

A thought-provoking book for dystopian fiction readers. It seems like an engaging read in spite of the errors. Nice review. Thanks.
Shazywithbooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazywithbooks.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Shazywithbooks »

I think that this is a book that requires one to sit and think about: the plot, the characters, and also how linked it is to our reality today. It seems like a good book, and I have to acknowledge that the author did a unique job on that one. Thanks for the interesting review.
Floflomid
Currently Reading: Nightlord: Sunset
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Floflomid »

I'll pass on this one, but looks interesting to those who are reading science,they might fit well with fiction and theory in this book though the book is not interesting at the start

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”