Official Review: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sudheer_bose123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David ...

Post by Sudheer_bose123 »

The Unfortunate Exposition of Mr David Sparks

This book is a philosophical dystopian fiction the pesticides used for crops destroys the agriculture is the fictions sign were the world tells of it is unorganized approach to settlement in this earth and this and more would occur in our near future and to a large extent is occurring in many parts of the world and the pictureisation of Sparks forgetfulness would be termed as a necessity to say the story in its detailed philosophy of an entirely new world were somebody has to think negative or positive of the mis-happenings that do exits.

the science of avoiding modern technology by some and not by other sects describes the war of confusion that always happens between two and here the conclusion the author derives is so fictitious in its own reality were it could be a reality if at all this one day becomes a reality the world has gone too far

A great write of fiction uniquely wrote to a large extent to the authors mind to describe situations and circumstances of disastrous world which exists as it is now and latter what should be done in such arguments by sects to surpass the antagonist
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

‘Philosophical fiction’ is fascinating terminology and, even from what I’ve read in the sample, probably fits with the very different story. While reading the first few chapters, I wondered if the book was going to be an analogy or allegory of the plight of society or the world. At this stage, I am still unsure but, based on the events thus far, anything is possible.

This book is not for everyone and is a brave concept, as it is easier for readers to engage with characters they like or relate to, or with circumstance or action that is compelling. I’m sure the mysteries, when revealed, are well done and perhaps also significant, however it is probable that not all readers will journey to the end.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I agree with you that it was a little confusing at first, but it sounds like it makes more sense as it progresses. Thanks for the great review!!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I like the fact that the book helps you get to your own conclusions by steadily throwing in bits and pieces. But the formatting issue and confusing beginning is making me reconsider how soon to read it. Perhaps, reading the sample would help me reach a conclusion. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

Finally a rating that takes into account for the editing errors. I found the sample hard to get into but the review made the story sound interesting. Because of the lack of grab I don’t think I’ll be reading this book.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

A unique post apocalyptic read as the reviewer puts it. Further, a dystopian novel that makes you think as you read. I have enjoyed reading the review, thanks.
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

What a fantastic & imaginative book! Where else can you find a chainsaw-wielding environmentalist? I've only read a few chapters so far but I'm already recommending it to others. The author's writing reminds me of Terry Gilliam's movies--delightfully weird.

Great review, though my experience reading has been a bit different from yours. For some reason, I didn't have the format issues you did. I didn't get far enough for the timeline to jump around--at least I don't think I did--but I really liked how the author transitioned in & out of David's dream state.

At any rate, I didn't find the writing confusing. I felt like the author fed me just enough info to keep me at a state of high intrigue. I mean, even the title! What kind of book is titled after the death of its main character? One that will keep you guessing, that's for sure.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

This book sounds very interesting. I especially like the combination of philosophical writing and dystopian fiction. I love a book that makes me think, so I will probably give this one a try when I have the time to give it the attention it deserves. Thank you for the insightful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

The great thing about sci-fi books are the philosophical questions. I've seen and read about post-apocalyptic world and want to see how Mr. Aicher created one himself. Thanks for the recommendation!
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Great review. I too was a little confused in the beginning. So far I really like this story and look forward to reading it entirely.
soja
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by soja »

As I read the review it originally made me think of so many other titles I have read. I'm quite impressed that the future is based upon something newer and more original. It also seems that the lack of formal format is the new format in many newer writings. I may have to put this one up for a nights read, even though post apocalyptic, end of the world isn't really my choice read
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I am not a fan of this genre but I enjoyed reading your review. Some scary thoughts about the apocalypse!
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gracie777 »

I guess I am not a dystopian lover since I truly feel this is not my cup of tea. Your review is thoughtfully written but I will have to pass on this one...
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I enjoy reading dystopian/post-apocalyptic novels. However, I will read the first chapters of the book before jumping into conclusions. The debate of living in a world with technology vs. going back to the "old times" is also fascinating; I would like to see how that turns out. Thank you for the review.
tacozebra051
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tacozebra051.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by tacozebra051 »

I didn't even notice the formatting issues because I was so focused on the confusing timeline you mentioned! Once I got into it more, it was alright, but up until chapter four or so I was completely lost. I do enjoy the parallels you drew between our knowledge as a reader and David's as a character, but David was definitely at an advantage compared to us- he could see what was going on, and I had to wade through visual descriptions of location before I even had a grasp of the plot! Ha! But I was definitely intrigued, that's for sure.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”