Official Review: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Re: Official Review: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David ...

Post by Yoli García »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 08:18
Yolimari wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 04:51 Sounds like a good post-apocalyptic story that puts the reader to think about the real future of humanity. I think I might enjoy it. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for commenting! I enjoy reading other people's thoughts. If you decide to read it, give me a shout out and let me know if you liked it.
Okay!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I see the author took a contemporary topic and debate (GMO) and created a compelling story around it. I'll probably read it, as I love dystopian/post-apocalyptic stories.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

kislany wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 00:37 I see the author took a contemporary topic and debate (GMO) and created a compelling story around it. I'll probably read it, as I love dystopian/post-apocalyptic stories.
It is definitely that kind of an issue. It's an interesting take on it for sure. Thanks for commenting.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

You got me with post-apocalyptic world. The protagonist finds himself in a strange world he does not know or remember. How intriguing! I love books that let us find out what's going on together with the protagonist, and don't feed the reader with a spoon, so don't mind about the confusing beginning. I didn't encounter any issues with the format, so the author probably fixed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Loriinfl7
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Loriinfl7 »

This seems like an interesting book. It makes you wonder about, what we do now, and how it will affect future generations.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Mr. Aicher's characters are intriguing; they seemed to symbolize someone or something. The plot is very interesting and the story is timely and I could say plausible at this time and age. The scenes in the sample created vivid images of that world. I would read this when it becomes available. Congrats!
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Oh, this sounds perfect book for my book slump. I love dystopian and I really hope this will help me a lot. Thanks for the review.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I would like to watch this ruined world through David's eye. I think that maybe he will be a bit like a child who discovers the world now. Contaminating the world is something that could actually happen as our planet's numbers grow uncontrollably. This review made me think that people write dystopian books to make the world see what would happen if we do a little mistake. It can be a good intention, like wanting to make people live longer, but the food being too limited for the massive number of people. I think that is what makes this books philosophical.
Irishmom
Currently Reading: Heartaches 3
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irishmom.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Irishmom »

I completely agree that it started off almost too mysterious. I was, however, intrigued, and I am glad to see that it progresses to be as entertaining as it seems it could be,
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. "~Groucho Marx
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

I enjoy a book that lets the story unfold and doesn’t revea too early. Thank you for sharing that this continues! Nice review!
salbs
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salbs.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by salbs »

Having read the sample, I think this seems like a really interesting exploration of a post-apocalyptic type world. It also reminded me somewhat of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. I had hoped to learn more about the rest of the book from the review, but appreciate the reviewer's presumed desire to not give anything away! I can absolutely appreciate the confusion with the non- chronological nature of the story, but i found it more intriguing than confusing. Thank you for your review
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Can't even imagine waking up without knowing who you are in a place where it's unsuitable for people! Too bad about the confusing beginning and the formatting issues. However, it's great to know that the post-apocalyptic world is unique and interesting. Also, I love when authors make you think about your own life choices and deeply think about our world's future. I don't think this one is for me, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this one! Thank you for the insightful review!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
zilizopita1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilizopita1998.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by zilizopita1998 »

What a great review, it covers challenges that are facing us today such as genetic modifications.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The genre of the book sounds new but all the same its fantasy and I hope that things will never get this far. With the review, 3 out of 4 stars sounds a bit unfair but I believe there is a reason why.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

The post-apocalyptic setting sounds intriguing, and I especially like that all the information isn't given right away. I much prefer learning things organically with the main character. However, I think I would have an awful time reading something that wasn't indented or spaced properly. It would just be too distracting! I'm currently reading something that uses apostrophes instead of quotation marks when someone is speaking and it's driving me a bit nuts. Great review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”