Official Review: The Gnomes of Nome by RK Wheeler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Post Reply
User avatar
Mailis
Posts: 257
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 08:36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: Life after Life by Boyko Ovcharov
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Location: Estonia

Official Review: The Gnomes of Nome by RK Wheeler

Post by Mailis » 08 Mar 2018, 11:54

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gnomes of Nome" by RK Wheeler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review


The Gnomes of Nome by RK Wheeler is a fantastical short story taken from author’s epic novel War in Heaven: Scions of Azazyel.

Angelica and her brother Jonah are on an epic quest to seek out the legendary gnomes of Nome. Archangel Gabriel has appeared and told them that they have angelic blood in their veins and now they must work as efficiently and quickly as possible to overcome their personal problems and insecurities to develop and gain access to their angelic abilities.

When they find the elusive gnomes, their mission is to recover the Rod of God, the legendary staff used by Moses to part the Red Sea and call down the plagues of Egypt. First step for the brother and sister is to seek out someone named Aternek Sangliak, who might help them to find their way in the dangerous and unpredictable Alaskan territory.

They gain other allies and friends along the road, who join forces with the ever-growing company, as well as many powerful magical talismans that gift their lucky owners different abilities. They hope to avoid the prophesied war between the gnomes and dwarves and maintain the precarious peace, but at the same time the forces of evil are seeking to thwart them in any way possible.

I personally really love stories about the underground hidden realms and have a real soft spot for the dwarf kind since I read J. R.R Tolkien as a child. But dwarves are only tiny part of it all here, because this story is full of lore about werewolves, vampires, shape-shifters, demons, gnomes, dwarves, elves, Arthur legends, angels, jinn, Biblical characters and much more. It has just this incredibly rich tapestry of alternative world history with different legends woven through.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I found the story enjoyable and the formatting of the book very attractive, especially the accompanying gorgeous fantasy illustrations, but as a standalone book, it felt a little bit incomplete. What happened to Angelica and Jonah before they accepted this mission is mentioned from emotional aspect many times but the factual events that took place, remain vague enough to make me feel less invested in the story.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves the old-school fantasy genre but will say that, it might not appeal to those who have aversion towards Christian religion or Bible mythology, because this book is full of scripture references and the great opposition of evil and good takes place between God and the Devil. If you love Northern mythology then this is mixed in there as well, so those who fancy Thor in all his mighty muscled glory, will have a tasty treat with a fun battle scene thrown in, full of lightning and hammering. When I was reading those scenes, I envisioned Chris Hemsworth’s Thor in the action, and if I am honest here, this gratuitous small part of the book almost made me give it a full four stars.

******
The Gnomes of Nome
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mailis's review? Post a comment saying so!

User avatar
Peeter
Posts: 10
Joined: 08 Mar 2018, 08:13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Peeter » 09 Mar 2018, 02:52

Thanks for the review, this sounds good, I like the classical fantasy vibe the cover is giving.

User avatar
Mouricia25
Posts: 266
Joined: 01 Jan 2018, 15:49
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 175
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The China Connection by AjJ Basinski
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N
Location: Toyama, Japan

Post by Mouricia25 » 09 Mar 2018, 08:54

This sounds like a book I would read. I love your review, and how detailed it was.

User avatar
Mailis
Posts: 257
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 08:36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: Life after Life by Boyko Ovcharov
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Location: Estonia

Post by Mailis » 09 Mar 2018, 09:01

Mouricia25 wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 08:54
This sounds like a book I would read. I love your review, and how detailed it was.
Thank you! :)

User avatar
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 5057
Joined: 31 Dec 2016, 20:31
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 53
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Hand of Silver, Hand of Gold by Christopher Grey

Post by kandscreeley » 09 Mar 2018, 09:34

I don't really like it when a book feels incomplete. Still, it sounds like an intriguing story. They are off to find the gnomes of nome :) Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

User avatar
Mailis
Posts: 257
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 08:36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: Life after Life by Boyko Ovcharov
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Location: Estonia

Post by Mailis » 09 Mar 2018, 12:17

kandscreeley wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 09:34
I don't really like it when a book feels incomplete. Still, it sounds like an intriguing story. They are off to find the gnomes of nome :) Thanks for the review.
Thank you, I always love to read your reviews. :)

User avatar
Mailis
Posts: 257
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 08:36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: Life after Life by Boyko Ovcharov
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Location: Estonia

Post by Mailis » 09 Mar 2018, 12:18

Peeter wrote:
09 Mar 2018, 02:52
Thanks for the review, this sounds good, I like the classical fantasy vibe the cover is giving.
Thank you! :)

User avatar
Kat Berg
Posts: 690
Joined: 05 Oct 2017, 22:29
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 19
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg » 10 Mar 2018, 08:50

It has just this incredibly rich tapestry of alternative world history with different legends woven through.
The sheer breadth of that tapestry is intriguing to me. I find myself wondering if I would like it or be annoyed by it. I am not quite sure. But I do love the title :) Thanks for the review.

User avatar
Mailis
Posts: 257
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 08:36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: Life after Life by Boyko Ovcharov
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Location: Estonia

Post by Mailis » 10 Mar 2018, 09:49

Kat Berg wrote:
10 Mar 2018, 08:50
It has just this incredibly rich tapestry of alternative world history with different legends woven through.
The sheer breadth of that tapestry is intriguing to me. I find myself wondering if I would like it or be annoyed by it. I am not quite sure. But I do love the title :) Thanks for the review.
Thank you! :)

User avatar
DancingLady
Posts: 247
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 10:31
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Napalm's Embrace by W. Thomas Leonard
Location: Oregon

Post by DancingLady » 11 Mar 2018, 09:39

I think this book might be highly offensive to Christians because if it’s use of Biblical characters. Christians believe the stories in the Bible are historical fact and the text of the Bible is God-breathed, so using content for fictional and fantasy purposes would be disrespectful or worse.

This sounds like a book by a highly skilled author though. I don’t want to take away from that, just thought the above should be mentioned as there’s more than one perspective out there.

User avatar
Mailis
Posts: 257
Joined: 29 Jan 2018, 08:36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: Life after Life by Boyko Ovcharov
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Location: Estonia

Post by Mailis » 11 Mar 2018, 13:07

DancingLady wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 09:39
I think this book might be highly offensive to Christians because if it’s use of Biblical characters. Christians believe the stories in the Bible are historical fact and the text of the Bible is God-breathed, so using content for fictional and fantasy purposes would be disrespectful or worse.

This sounds like a book by a highly skilled author though. I don’t want to take away from that, just thought the above should be mentioned as there’s more than one perspective out there.
Yes, I see your point, as a non-Christian, or just non-religious person, it didn't occur to me that some Christians might not like their religion incorporated into fantasy. But I think they always have an option to not read it. Although I believe some Christians/religions have an overall critical view on fantasy fiction, so if one is looking to be offended then they can always find something to be offended about. :)

User avatar
DancingLady
Posts: 247
Joined: 11 Feb 2018, 10:31
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 78
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Napalm's Embrace by W. Thomas Leonard
Location: Oregon

Post by DancingLady » 11 Mar 2018, 15:37

Mailis wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 13:07
DancingLady wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 09:39
I think this book might be highly offensive to Christians because if it’s use of Biblical characters. Christians believe the stories in the Bible are historical fact and the text of the Bible is God-breathed, so using content for fictional and fantasy purposes would be disrespectful or worse.

This sounds like a book by a highly skilled author though. I don’t want to take away from that, just thought the above should be mentioned as there’s more than one perspective out there.
Yes, I see your point, as a non-Christian, or just non-religious person, it didn't occur to me that some Christians might not like their religion incorporated into fantasy. But I think they always have an option to not read it. Although I believe some Christians/religions have an overall critical view on fantasy fiction, so if one is looking to be offended then they can always find something to be offended about. :)
You’re absolutely right, there are plenty of people who practically hunt for things to take offense at and I honestly do not know why they think that is helpful to anyone in any way. I am definitely not trying to be one of those. I love fantasy that is written well. I’m disappointed in the increase in dragons being portrayed as good, but that’s a personal opinion. There are lots of good quality fantasy books out there that I consider acceptable for myself and would recommend.

User avatar
Jaime Lync
Posts: 1182
Joined: 15 Mar 2017, 19:33
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 500
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: Talon, Encounter by Gigi Sedlmayer

Post by Jaime Lync » 11 Mar 2018, 23:26

DancingLady wrote:
11 Mar 2018, 09:39
I think this book might be highly offensive to Christians because if it’s use of Biblical characters. Christians believe the stories in the Bible are historical fact and the text of the Bible is God-breathed, so using content for fictional and fantasy purposes would be disrespectful or worse.

This sounds like a book by a highly skilled author though. I don’t want to take away from that, just thought the above should be mentioned as there’s more than one perspective out there.
I am a Christian and I have to say that there is truth in DancingLady's comment. I am elated to know that the scripture is being put out there for others to read it but it would really depend on the context. I have no problem with it being used in fictional works but if it the word of God is in some way misrepresented (which happens very often by both Christians and non-believers alike) then that is not cool.

I do have to say though, that I enjoyed your review. Thanks for sharing.

Post Reply

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”