Official Review: Legend of the Stone by L. R. Ballard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Official Review: Legend of the Stone by L. R. Ballard

Post by Bluecobia »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Legend of the Stone" by L. R. Ballard.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Legend of the Stone by L. R. Ballard is a short science fiction novel. It was only 90 pages long on my device. There is, however, a lot of science fiction and action packed in those pages. The book starts out in 800 A. D. with Merlin deciding that the humans of his age were not worthy of using magic. So he sends the last of the world’s magic into outer space to return only when the time is right. Then we step forward 2222 years.

The year is 3022, 22 years after a major war destroyed most of the Earth and a group of the survivors fled to the moon to live. Lucas has grown up on the moon since he was eight years old. Scientists have tortured, trained, and taught him many things while studying the limits of human endurance. They exposed him to extreme heat, cold, electrical shock, etc. They were trying to turn him into a super soldier. The good news is that they succeeded. The bad news is that a meteor shower hits the base and he escapes.

The plot and character development in this story are very good. They are interesting and well thought out. I could not anticipate what would happen next in the story. It also left me wanting to know what would happen to Lucas in the future. I enjoyed considering the future of humanity after they have been dumb enough to destroy most of the world. The possible scientific and political developments are innumerable.

I found myself wanting more when the story ended. The author actually hints that this is just the start of a larger work. The author makes reference to this book as Legend of the Stone: Chapter 1 (Loserville Engineering T…). Checking his website, Mr. Ballard mentions that Chapter 3 is coming soon. I suspect from this that there is more to come. I hope that there is since these 90 pages ended with a lot to explain and a lot more action anticipated.

My main disappointment in this book was in the editing. Many of the sentences had awkward structure. Some of this may have been on purpose to make the characters sound futuristic and somewhat different. There were, however, also many missing words and purely editorial errors. Things like “Threw the door” instead of “Thru the door”. Or, “so if you can guess it’s a trap!” when you would expect to read, “so as you can guess, it’s a trap!” These errors and the awkward sentence structure detracted greatly from my enjoyment of this book.

This is a good science fiction story. I would recommend it to all action and science fiction lovers. However, due to the bad editing, I cannot give it a rating any better than 3 out of 4 stars.

Legend of the Stone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Bluecobia's review? Post a comment saying so!
uchebest24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by uchebest24 »

I think Lucas will one day practice what he have been training for so long.freedom is her own now. Thanks for the review
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Do you happen to know if there is any connection between this author and the famous science-fiction writer J.G. Ballard? The plot of this novel seems interesting enough, but it looks like it can be further expanded. Proofreading is also necessary. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Bluecobia

Post by Bluecobia »

I think there is more planned for this story. I found no mention of a relationship to other authors but one never knows.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I like to know what made Merlin judge that this age was not right for magic and there weren't suitable candidates. Better find it out my self. Thank you for sharing your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Bluecobia

Post by Bluecobia »

There was not a lot of information given about Merlin's thought process and the history of events that caused his actions.
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I wonder what happens to Lucas once he escapes and his feelings toward being made into a super soldier are. I'm also curious how the destruction of Earth plays into the overarching plot. Your review definitely got me curious about what happens next in the story.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I've been reading a lot of books lately that involve experiments ending in someone's death. The subject escaping and being the focus of the main story is a neat variation on that theme! I may have to check this book out, editing errors aside.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm personally not sure it's bad news that he escaped... I mean he was tortured and experimented on his whole life. Anyway, I think this sounds like a story I would really enjoy. I'm not sure how bad the editing errors would throw me off, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bluecobia

Post by Bluecobia »

Not bad news for lucas but bad for those who hvva tortured and experimented on him for years.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”