Featured Official Review: Child of Fire by Ela Lourenco

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Featured Official Review: Child of Fire by Ela Lourenco

Post by NL Hartje »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Child of Fire" by Ela Lourenco.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Book two of the Dragon Born series, Child of Fire by Ela Lourenco, picks up right where the first book left off; teenage Lara has just found out she is a dragon-the last dragon. The planet of Azmantium occupies another universe and another time. It is a land of blue grasses, lilac skies, and green seas. It is a land of magic, vampires, oracles, shapeshifters, and dragons.

Like many teens, Lara has a posse of super close friends with whom she shares all of her deepest secrets. Only they and a select few know that Lara is actually a shape-shifting dragon prophesized to come at a time of need to save the world. Politically, the dragons were considered dangerous, and they were all hunted and killed long ago. Because of this, the awakening of Lara’s duality couldn’t have come at a worse time. She and her friends are engaged in a magical tournament to help their friend, the prince, win the throne to his kingdom. Not only is she now under extreme stress, but she is also being watched with intense scrutiny; watched by those waiting to see if she is the dragon.

There were many aspects to this fantasy that I enjoyed. The realistic youthful comradery, teasing, and puppy love seemed authentic, and the hesitance between Lara and her newly discovered dragon-self seemed believable. Lara is scared to let her dragon show lest she be persecuted or even killed, thus, she is unwilling to accept the dragon as one with her fully. She continually refers to it as a separate entity saying things like: “she just took over!” The friction within Lara to understand and accept her truth made for an exciting plot.

Lara also employs a myriad of magical objects sure to pique the interest of any fantasy lover. She had a shapeshifting staff she was able to wear secretly as a necklace and a magical orb able to transport her to other planes of existence for special dragon teachings. If there were something I did not like, it would be the lack of detail surrounding the training sessions with her mystical dragon guide. Readers would like to see and hear how she learns to shapeshift, fly, and breathe fire. Sadly, Lourenco only summarizes.

This book was beautifully edited, and the words flowed gracefully with the ease befitting a noble dragon. For all of my complaints about lack of detail, the book was not compromised because of it. There was still detail enough to complete thought-provoking scenes; I just longed for more. This book is perfect for any young adult. There is no unsightly violence or inappropriate sex. The plot is not intense, but it's still satisfying as a quick read for adults. The magical tournament will continue into the next book, so the plot is sure to continue at its current pace. I can find no flaws with Child of Fire, and for that reason, I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars.

Child of Fire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A shape shifting dragon of prophecy? In a kind of coming of age story? You've got my attention. Love the cover. Thanks for the review. I'll have to pick up the first one before I read this.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

This review reminds me of memoirs of my childhood...super active, wild imagination filled with fantasy of different realms, parallel universes and mystical creatures lol...great review!
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 15:20 A shape shifting dragon of prophecy? In a kind of coming of age story? You've got my attention. Love the cover. Thanks for the review. I'll have to pick up the first one before I read this.
Super quick and fun read. I personally have not read the first, but read the official review listed here by an Onlinebookclub reviewer and a blurb on Goodreads and that was about all the filling in I needed :D
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

prettysmart wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 15:41 This review reminds me of memoirs of my childhood...super active, wild imagination filled with fantasy of different realms, parallel universes and mystical creatures lol...great review!
The author currently lives in Scotland so I don't know if that inspires her dragon whimsy or not but I loved it!
-Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Seems a book for Dragon lovers. The coming of age and shape shifting sounds an interesting combination. Looking forward for a delightful fantasy read! Thank you NL Hartje!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

This seems like it is right down my alley. It has all the right elements, and I am feeling particularly grumpy today, a good YA fantasy book is just what the Dr. ordered. Thanks for the review.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Kat and Sahani, you should both check this out for a fun and easy read!
-Dr. Seuss
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Whoa - vampires, oracles, shapeshifters, and dragons? This sounds like an exciting tale! I don't think I've read a book with a shape-shifting dragon before, so kudos to the author for coming up with something unique! I love the idea of the bond and reluctance between Lara and her dragon. Also, a fantasy with many magical objects sounds fantantic! Too bad the author only summarizes how the dragon learns to shapeshift because I think you're right, it would be beneficial to read more about this process. I'm glad you enjoyed this and thank you for the lovely review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

hsimone wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 05:34 Whoa - vampires, oracles, shapeshifters, and dragons?
I definitely fanboy'd over it a bit. To be fair, there is no vampire character in this book-book 2. But the universe is described as one where vampires exist. Maybe they're to come?
-Dr. Seuss
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

You totally caught my attention with this one! I cannot wait to add it to my shelves.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

literarycat wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 10:31 You totally caught my attention with this one! I cannot wait to add it to my shelves.
Woohoo for more dragon love!
-Dr. Seuss
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

YA dragon books are my guilty pleasure, and I'm so glad this one holds up the standard! Thank you for pointing out all the important aspects like the pacing, grammar, and character interactions. It sounds fascinating and may make it on my reading list!
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Jkhorner wrote: 07 Mar 2018, 11:18 YA dragon books are my guilty pleasure
Guilty pleasures are the best! Try it out!
-Dr. Seuss
Chaitalir
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chaitalir »

This is one that I read to my daughter as our bedtime story. We thoroughly enjoyed the series and my daughter has refused to read anything but Harry Potter until she has the newest book. We just can't wait to see what's in store for the characters and with the last one leaving at a cliffhanger my daughter has enjoyed guessing what will happen next.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”