Official Review: 30th Century: Escape

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SJSharks
Currently Reading: Unshaken
Bookshelf Size: 18

Re: Official Review: 30th Century: Escape

Post by SJSharks »

This just isn't my type of book. Good review of the book, though. I enjoyed seeing someone else's perspective.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: 30th Century, Escape, by Mark Kingston Levin', clearly outlines the story of the book. It is an honest and critical one!
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: The Witching Hour
Bookshelf Size: 3840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I sometimes wonder why sex is even necessary in books, especially gratuitous sex...and I'm no prude. I just feel that unless it's the erotic fiction or romance genre, what's the point. It doesn't add to the story, in my opinion. Otherwise, this sounds like a pretty interesting science fiction novel. Thanks for your insight!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
western+eal
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by western+eal »

"30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin (PhD) had an interesting premise. The erotic aspect I can take or leave (though I know from a writing perspective it can be difficult to write. Where do the elbows go? What is their knee on? etc.) but even in the sample, I noticed a couple of inconistencies. For example, one moment Jennifer decides she'll be mute, but then in the next she is laughing in excitement to see her rescuer before remembering she is "mute"; also, how quickly she gets over the "mute" aspect would surely be suspect to anyone. However, this was not enough to make me lose interest, and I was sorely disappointed to reach the end of the sample. I think this will be going on my wish list for future reference, and I hope we find out what happened to Kylie and the rest of the team going forward!
H_pasch
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by H_pasch »

I read part of the free preview on Amazon, and the story kind of seem to have a really slow start with a large info dump. I normally wouldn't read the story because of the sudden thrown out there information, but does it eventually explain everything written? Sci-fi is something I normally only enjoy when it is fast paced in the beginning with all the information either explained when it is given or has the information spread out in a way where you can guess what happened. Sci-fi is also a genre I prefer to have no romance in because of the fact that some things get a bit strange when it is involved. Is the main point of this story the Romance,the Sci-fi, the development of the main character, or something else? Does the story tell if the mission was a success? Was it a failure? How do the others involved in the mission react to Jennifer's betrayal? Did Jennifer think it would be easy to integrate herself into a timeline that was obviously so different from hers? Did the death of her lover really mess with her head so badly that she thought her best action was to go into the distant past and try to forget? Why didn't she see to it the mission was accomplished first and then try to move on? So many questions and so little answers. If the story had started with a description of the situation with the Syndos and showed the work being made to get to where the book actually started, to show how she was compared to how she is, it would catch my interest a lot faster than it is.
Oluwaseunmary

Post by Oluwaseunmary »

Well, I think this book happens to be science fiction story I would love to read. The review I brushed through recently made me fall in love with the book... Have been wanting to lay my hands on books with science fictions, though have seen films with science settings, plots and all but not a book... Once again, I would love to read this book.
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

I have always been an aficionado of sci-fi, but I doubt this one. The amatory content won't impress me or maintain interest in this book. I'll pass on this one. Thanks for your review.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

Thanks for the review! I read the sample and really enjoyed the writing, but I am dismayed to hear that the middle of the book is not as good as the beginning. I'm putting it on my Want to Read list anyhow and will find out for myself if I like it!
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
Sikuku22
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sikuku22.html
Latest Review: Belas Rift by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Post by Sikuku22 »

Jennifer is amongst the few daring women. I like the shifting of the story,full of science and new technology. The mission being undertaken turns out to be like a movie. It captured my attention so much.
Chosengem6

Post by Chosengem6 »

It seems I would love to give this book a chance because of its morden science
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

A lot of mixed reactions to this book! The sample I've read caught my interest, but the review warns us the action tends to drag in what follows. The combination of sci-fi and romance does not immediately mean failure, yet the announced graphic sexual scenes make me have some serious doubts in this case. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html

Post by Cristina Chifane »

A lot of mixed reactions to this book! The sample I've read caught my interest, but the review warns us the action tends to drag in what follows. The combination of sci-fi and romance does not immediately mean failure, yet the announced graphic sexual scenes make me have some serious doubts in this case. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

That's very intriguing adventure to 21st century. The development of machine that can take you back in life is very enjoying aspect of the story. Thanks for your review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

A time travel read for fans of science and erotic fiction. I enjoyed reading the premise. Nice review. Thanks.
Jowy2018
Currently Reading: Demon Freaks
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Jowy2018 »

The author is very creative in arrangement of the plotline story which was showed the element of science technology (time machine) and history. In other view, there also has sexual element was included by an author. Definitely I think no need to put into the story. But the rest, I love the story especially about Jeniffer Hero to continuing her life after escape from 30th century.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”