Official Review: 30th Century: Escape

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rae_taylor13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rae-taylor13.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Re: Official Review: 30th Century: Escape

Post by Rae_taylor13 »

Fantastic review: it really is hard to take definitively hard science based fiction and make it work well with a romance/erotic subcurrent. In my opinion, the result can either be a bit overwhelming or immensely lackluster.
BookInspector300
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookinspector300.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by BookInspector300 »

Sounds like one of the few sci-fi' s with a clear and concise storyline. It's usually almost always complicated so I applaud the author for that. It sounds like a good book worth reading.
Sue Mulligan
Currently Reading: Troublemaker
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sue-mulligan.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Sue Mulligan »

Although it's disappointing to read that the initial goal is not pursued, the beginning of the novel was well written and captured my interest enough to read it through. It's on my "want-to-read" shelf.
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

While I enjoy science fiction and even erotica, I'm not sure I would enjoy this one. I prefer when stories have clear direction, and that doesn't seem to be the case here. I may decide to read this just so I can find out what happens with humankind and the Syndos, though.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Science fiction with a ton of erotic content is quite an unusual combination. I would prefer it more if the story focused solely on Jennifer's adventures in her new home.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I'm not keen on erotic fiction but I love sci-fi and from what you say the premise sounds interesting. Thank you for the review.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

The book clearly starts in the science fiction genre, but by the time the protagonist is revealed to be topless on the beach (complete with image), the reader is wondering where the urgency of saving the Thirtieth Century world and Naturals has gone. Reading the review clarifies that this book is more erotic fiction than science fiction. Because it is stated to be part of a trilogy, perhaps we will be reunited with Commander Brown and fellow time travellers in future novels, however, this carries the risk that some readers interested in the initial plot, may be lost before the return.
sierra112
Favorite Book: Kite Runner
Currently Reading: American River: Tributaries
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sierra112.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by sierra112 »

Not being a fan of erotic novels or science fiction made it difficult for me to even begin to read the sample. However, I did and found the beginning interesting. One thing did bother me. When Jennifer first arrives on the island, it seems as though she had or found everything she needed. That did not set well with me. Who arrives somewhere in another century with everything they need.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Lennycat wrote: 01 Mar 2018, 10:29 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD is a story of love, loyalty, and human social exploration. Published in June 2015, this Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Erotic Novel is the first book in the 30th Century Trilogy.

Captain Jennifer Hero is on a mission to save humankind from the Syndos, a race of genetically modified beings who lack a sense of morals. Their goal is to wipe out the inferior humans (the Naturals) and take over planet Earth. Zexton Ho, who is Jennifer's partner, creates a trans-time machine in order to go back in time and re-write the development of the Syndos and make them more peaceful, but he is assassinated before he can see the plan come to fruition. Captain Jennifer Hero carries on and leads a team back in time to the 27th Century.

But Jennifer has secret plans of her own. Weary from the loss of her true love, Zexton Ho, she decides to abandon her team and go back in time to the 21st Century and start a new life. She ends up on an abandoned island in Polynesia. After several months of living alone on the island, Jennifer is rescued by Dr. Marty Zitonick and his research team.

Jennifer struggles over hiding her identity and leaving her team behind as she navigates through this new life. She makes several missteps in her social interactions and in pursuing her educational goals in archeology and dark matter. She is puzzled after a series of coincidences leave her wondering why everything keeps falling into place so smoothly. Will Jennifer Hero adjust to her new life and can she find love again after the heartbreaking loss of her brilliant partner, Zexton Ho? Can she come to terms of her inner struggle with leaving her team behind?

I enjoyed the beginning of the book and the development of Jennifer's character. Her time alone on the island was especially interesting, as her interactions with the animals on the island gave her some emotional depth. I also loved the author's descriptions of Polynesia and the culture of the people that have lived there for thousands of years.

I also enjoyed Jennifer Hero's pursuit of her PhD work in dark matter. The theories were interesting and well-researched while not being too science heavy. It was apparent that the author is very knowledgeable in science and archaeology and it translated well to the reader in a way that was thought provoking.

I would have enjoyed reading much more about Jennifer's experiences with her trans-time team. These scenes at the beginning of the book propelled the storyline forward with excitement and action, and it felt like the book was moving toward the goal of defeating the Syndos. At times, the book lost its overlying story structure and floundered, leaving little action or flow forward, and left me wondering where the story was really going. However, the story wrapped up neatly in the end and left a satisfying conclusion without the dreaded cliffhanger.

In addition, although the erotic scenes were well-written, I found the sexual content to be a bit over the top and gratuitous. For me, it would have been more intriguing to have had Jennifer Hero explore some of her relationships on a less intimate level.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The premise of the story was very interesting and there were several plot twists that kept it flowing forward. However, the book loses it sense of self in the middle and seemed to struggle with where the conclusion would go. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy science fiction with a lot of scientific content and those who enjoy erotic fiction.

30th Century: Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lennycat's review? Post a comment saying so!
This looks like an interesting book because of the connection between time travel and the great explanations for scientific theories. I want to see how things progress since I finished the sample. Great job on the review! :tiphat:
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Zain A Blade
Favorite Book: Find You and Find Everything
Currently Reading: The End of the Beginning
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zain-a-blade.html
Latest Review: Swordpoint by David Crane

Post by Zain A Blade »

Great review @Lennycat, I think I might enjoy the exploration of nature on the Island described.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

I enjoy the concept of time traveling. However, this book, from what I've read, has a ton of erotic scenes that do not give anything to the plot. If this book were mainly romance/erotica, then this would not be a problem; but it isn't. I don't think I'll be reading this one. Regardless, thank you for the review.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Syndos and the Naturals? Very interesting. I root for the race with the morals, and support Jennifer Hero all the way as she struggles against this genetically modified race. Good review.
Happy Bunny
Currently Reading: Not Without My Sister
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Happy Bunny »

This book seems to cross a few different genres, and sadly none of them are ones I enjoy reading. There seems to be good character development, and accurate details that make it interesting to read, but its just not for me. Thanks for the review
CaitlinGonya
Currently Reading: Heart of Iron
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlingonya.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by CaitlinGonya »

I really couldn't get into this book. Jennifer was too much something and everyone wanted to have sex with it. Felt very unrelatable.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the frank review. This sounds like a great book on the surface and seems to have lots of components. However I do not read scifi and therefore I don't think this book is for me.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”