Official Review: 30th Century: Escape

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Official Review: 30th Century: Escape

Post by Lennycat »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD is a story of love, loyalty, and human social exploration. Published in June 2015, this Sci-Fi/Fantasy/Erotic Novel is the first book in the 30th Century Trilogy.

Captain Jennifer Hero is on a mission to save humankind from the Syndos, a race of genetically modified beings who lack a sense of morals. Their goal is to wipe out the inferior humans (the Naturals) and take over planet Earth. Zexton Ho, who is Jennifer's partner, creates a trans-time machine in order to go back in time and re-write the development of the Syndos and make them more peaceful, but he is assassinated before he can see the plan come to fruition. Captain Jennifer Hero carries on and leads a team back in time to the 27th Century.

But Jennifer has secret plans of her own. Weary from the loss of her true love, Zexton Ho, she decides to abandon her team and go back in time to the 21st Century and start a new life. She ends up on an abandoned island in Polynesia. After several months of living alone on the island, Jennifer is rescued by Dr. Marty Zitonick and his research team.

Jennifer struggles over hiding her identity and leaving her team behind as she navigates through this new life. She makes several missteps in her social interactions and in pursuing her educational goals in archeology and dark matter. She is puzzled after a series of coincidences leave her wondering why everything keeps falling into place so smoothly. Will Jennifer Hero adjust to her new life and can she find love again after the heartbreaking loss of her brilliant partner, Zexton Ho? Can she come to terms of her inner struggle with leaving her team behind?

I enjoyed the beginning of the book and the development of Jennifer's character. Her time alone on the island was especially interesting, as her interactions with the animals on the island gave her some emotional depth. I also loved the author's descriptions of Polynesia and the culture of the people that have lived there for thousands of years.

I also enjoyed Jennifer Hero's pursuit of her PhD work in dark matter. The theories were interesting and well-researched while not being too science heavy. It was apparent that the author is very knowledgeable in science and archaeology and it translated well to the reader in a way that was thought provoking.

I would have enjoyed reading much more about Jennifer's experiences with her trans-time team. These scenes at the beginning of the book propelled the storyline forward with excitement and action, and it felt like the book was moving toward the goal of defeating the Syndos. At times, the book lost its overlying story structure and floundered, leaving little action or flow forward, and left me wondering where the story was really going. However, the story wrapped up neatly in the end and left a satisfying conclusion without the dreaded cliffhanger.

In addition, although the erotic scenes were well-written, I found the sexual content to be a bit over the top and gratuitous. For me, it would have been more intriguing to have had Jennifer Hero explore some of her relationships on a less intimate level.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The premise of the story was very interesting and there were several plot twists that kept it flowing forward. However, the book loses it sense of self in the middle and seemed to struggle with where the conclusion would go. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy science fiction with a lot of scientific content and those who enjoy erotic fiction.

30th Century: Escape
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lennycat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ida123
Currently Reading: WHO TOLD YOU THAT YOU WERE NAKED?
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B074WHDFCD

Post by Ida123 »

I like erotic fiction and maybe this book is a good one for exploring in this direction, but this book seems erotic mixed with science and action, and this make me think if all these genres are mixed in the proper way in an only book... well I'll have to find it out.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I wanted to read this story as the premise is so intriguing. However, the sexual content is just too over the top for me. Thanks anyway.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
prettysmart
Currently Reading: Big Doc Bitteroot
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prettysmart.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi

Post by prettysmart »

I don't mind aphrodisiac and steamy novels especially one mixed with science fiction since I have always liked science...Fantastic review!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I think I would enjoy reading a setting in Polynesia. We are huge travelers and that is one place we have yet to venture.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

Would you say this is hard scifi? In other words, did the author his PhD to make the science sound authentic?
Lennycat
Currently Reading: finding nary
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennycat.html
Latest Review: Saving Nary by Carol DeMent

Post by Lennycat »

I would say yes, there are parts of hard sci-fi about theories on how dark matter works and it’s relation to time travel. I found it very interesting.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

Wow, this does not sound like anything I've read, or heard of, before. It seems a bit strange to toss out such an interesting premise for a more mundane story-line, but I'm sure that the rest of the series must pick it up as it continues. I'll have to read for myself to find out. Thank you for the review :)
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Thanks for sharing the review, this sounds like a really interesting book. I think sometimes authors try to add in elements they think readers will like and a lot of the time it's a sexual aspect when it is not needed. There have been plenty of books I've read that like this one seem to have added those scenes more for the sake of fan service. I think I will still check this out and see how it fairs :) thank you again for the review.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I agree with the other commenters -- this sounds like a great premise, but it's a shame that it loses itself in the middle. The sexual content would not be my cup of tea, so thank you for the warning! I appreciate your thorough review!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Finally, a sci-fi author that's done their research! I can hardly stand the number of books in this genre I've read that simply don't employ modern science in their writing, and I'm quite pleased to see this one has bucked that trend.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

I wonder if writing the book required a lot of research particularly for the scientific data needed for the setting? Or was this information already in the writer's head just waiting to be transformed into a story? Which of these two options will create the better novel? And which method was used in writing 30th Century: Escape?
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

I couldn't agree more about humans being an inferior race :lol: . Don't be put off by the author having a Ph.D. - it reads like anything but an academic treatise. Extremely fast-paced and thought-provoking, this looks like a real winner!
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

Based on the review, I don't think this book is for me. The erotic sci-fi is not my genre but the reviewer does a good job of making the plot seem fascinating with the main character's educational journey and isolation on the island. Sounds like the science fiction lovers would really like this one.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Ohhh. Steamy. Few months back, I will not hesitate to read this. But I am not sure about erotic novels anymore. I would love to give this a chance though since it's science fiction. Thank you for the review and the recommendation

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”