Official Review: The Mysterious Adventures of Tommy Nowhe...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: The Mysterious Adventures of Tommy Nowhe...

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mysterious Adventures of Tommy Nowhere & Roscoe" by James Stilson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tommy, of the novel The Mysterious Adventures of Tommy Nowhere & Roscoe, by James Stilton, could be said as a circumstantial hero. In this plot, subtitled: Spirit of the Trees, Tommy’s exploits were favored opportunely by his having a Mathematics teacher, Professor Inka, who happens to be an inventor; and to some degree by having a friend and neighbor, Daniel, a kid wizard who fashioned a tracking and listening device. Tommy has two other friends and classmates, namely, Steve and Roger, who went with him in his adventures. And last but also the least, in size that is, Roscoe, a furry spider monkey of the professor, accompanied him.

This story involves time travel. It tells of how Tommy and his teenage friends, Daniel, Steve, and Roger, plus the monkey, Roscoe, managed to be transported to a place and time specified in a library book that they had borrowed. They were sucked in by an energy vortex when the contraption of Professor Inca got activated, and then funneled into a place called Gaia, a place of gigantic animals and diverse tribes, divided by a wall of fog, which separates the forces of evil from the good, which forces are now poised for an imminent war.

Until this time, Tommy is just a daydreamer, at best, fighting make-believe dragons and foes while being an imaginary knight of some legendary kingdom in his imagination. Now, his help is solicited by a beleaguered land, to help free its leader, the Spirit of Gaia, Nerthus, being held captive by a wicked Queen Kalma and a henpecked King Ludwig, all with magical powers, and an army to boot. Will Tommy and his group measure up to this challenge?

James Stilton awesomely crafted a primitive and magical world in Gaia, populated by the Muranchoos, Fawklores, and a cursed horde of water-dwellers called the Reliks, all interacting in a fascinating manner. Among the fauna of the place are strange animals of awesome sizes marshaled into the battlefield by both warring parties. One thing good to note, however, is that although the place is in turmoil, with villains all having the upper hand in combat, Stilton harnessed to delightful effect the inherent goodness of humans and near-human creatures to provide the readers with that nice and good feeling of having their sense of justice satisfied.

I think it was one of oversight that the companions of Tommy, except Roscoe, were suddenly made to produce walkie-talkies with them in Gaia, never mentioned before anywhere in the text. Tommy was once called by his mother on a cell phone, back in school, but cell phones will not work in places where there are no transmission towers or service providers. Only two-way radios can, but it seems unrealistic that the teens will still have these outmoded devices, not to mention bringing these with them.

The narrative comes on as dragging at first, depicting the humdrum existence of ordinary family life, presumably, to show the humanity of Tommy and his team, but it picked up speed and excitement by the time the scenes shifted to Gaia. The battle sequences may be said as done by someone versed in the art of warfare, and so overall, a 4-star rating may be most likely, but the editing issues clouded the bright prospects. After noting down the first ten errors, I stopped updating my list upon realizing I have not gone past forty pages yet, thereby, I advise a thorough going-over of the manuscript. That said, my rating for this novel would sadly go down to 2 out of 4 stars. In spite of this, I may still recommend this novel to lovers of adventure stories with the caveat that editing is still in progress.

The Mysterious Adventures of Tommy Nowhere & Roscoe
View: on Bookshelves

Like ReyvrexQuestor Reyes's review? Post a comment saying so!
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I don't get it what has spirit of the trees got to do with the plot or the formation of the book? Please explain! Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 02:02 I don't get it what has spirit of the trees got to do with the plot or the formation of the book? Please explain! Thank you!
In the story, one of the tribes banished by the forces of evil were the Fawklores who were tree-like creatures, but animated and which figured substantially in the battle to win back their freedom. These creatures were the spirit of the trees. This episode of the book, assuming that there will be still others coming, is focused on these Fawklores.

Thanks for coming by.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like this has the potential to be a good book, but the sheer number of grammatical errors makes it difficult to read. Thanks for the review. I'll wait until the errors are fixed to pick this one up.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 07:53 Sounds like this has the potential to be a good book, but the sheer number of grammatical errors makes it difficult to read. Thanks for the review. I'll wait until the errors are fixed to pick this one up.
The errors are mostly typographical, the sense remains understandable.

Thanks for visiting.

stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This book seems to have some quirky characters with the inventor, the kid wizard, and the spider monkey. Time travel and the war between evil and good contribute to the makings of a great fantasy novel. Too bad about the numerous errors, though. I hope the author comes out with a more professionally edited version. Thanks for the review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

stacie k wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:28 This book seems to have some quirky characters with the inventor, the kid wizard, and the spider monkey. Time travel and the war between evil and good contribute to the makings of a great fantasy novel. Too bad about the numerous errors, though. I hope the author comes out with a more professionally edited version. Thanks for the review!
Thank you for the thoughts @stacie K. I could assure you the novel will delight you. Just pass over the errors as you would peebles in the sand.

Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Time travel stories always allure me. This Gaia world sounds captivating. I was a little turn off by the cover at first. I thought there were demons in the story or so. I'm glad it wasn't the case. Still, I'll wait for the next edition. I just can't stand grammar or typographical errors when reading. They disturb my enjoyment. Anyways, thanks for this enlightening review!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Kalin Adi wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 22:39 Time travel stories always allure me. This Gaia world sounds captivating. I was a little turn off by the cover at first. I thought there were demons in the story or so. I'm glad it wasn't the case. Still, I'll wait for the next edition. I just can't stand grammar or typographical errors when reading. They disturb my enjoyment. Anyways, thanks for this enlightening review!
Thanks for passing by, @Kalin Adi, I am sorry for your curtailed enjoyment. But once you are lost in the mystical world of the story, you might not notice these errors at all.

Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book sounds intriguing with different kind characters and themes. It looks a complex story. Though it's not for me. But you covered it well. Thanks for your review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Sarah Tariq wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 00:46 The book sounds intriguing with different kind characters and themes. It looks a complex story. Though it's not for me. But you covered it well. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for your nice feedback. And thanks for coming.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”