Official Review: Haunted Robots

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Haunted Robots

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Haunted Robots" by James Warner and Ronald Joseph Kule. Concept by Michael Edward Noll.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is developing robots for military use. Dr. Oren Stanson is the program director with Brigadier-General Roger Rogers liaising with the military. The two don't always see eye to eye, though, as Dr. Stanson sees far more uses for these robots than just fighting. Unexpectedly, Dr. Stanson finds his consciousness floating away; his body has been murdered. His soul procures one of the very robots they have been developing. Why was Dr. Stanson murdered? Who was behind it? What will happen with him now that he is inhabiting a new robot body?

Haunted Robots is a science fiction novel with peril around every corner. With androids, aliens and government conspiracies, staunch science fiction fans will find enough to satiate their appetites. However, even those that aren't too thrilled with the genre will find plenty of action to hold their interest.

From the moment I started this book, I was hooked. The scene of Dr. Stanson's murder is the starting point into which the reader is thrust. From there, we move backwards in time just a bit for some background. Once again, we reach the murder and find out how Dr. Stanson has made his way into a robot. My curiosity was peaked. Will Dr. Stanson aka S2 be able to convince his co-workers that he is himself? What are the implications of this development? The answers are not as straight-forward as one might think and just possibly include aliens!

I enjoyed the interactions between the different characters in this novel. The philosophical discussions between Dr. Stanson and Bionetics Psychologist Dr. Ingrid Reese are weighty and yet humorous. Though the discussion was sometimes more intense than I was expecting, it added a depth to the story that was refreshing. Dr. Stanson also has a cat named Tes (named after the great inventor Nikola Tesla.) I love the concern that he shows for her, even when he is no longer "human."

There was an element of romance in this story. The unexpected nature to it made it even more gloriously fascinating. There was no explicit content, though, which was pleasantly surprising as the cover makes it seem like this might be some sort of science fiction/erotica.

Which brings me to my only recommendation for improvement - the cover. I passed over this book several times because the cover gave me the wrong impression about the book. Haunted Robots is fast-paced, action-packed, adventurous, at times violent read and obviously deeper than the book cover gives credit for. In order to capture the attention of the correct audience, I believe the cover could use a bit of a revamp.

Overall, I very much enjoyed reading Haunted Robots. I gladly give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. It was all I could ask for in a science fiction story that obviously entails robots and so much more. I recommend this to any who enjoy a good science fiction thriller that is somewhere between I, Robot and Ghost in the Machine.

Haunted Robots
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
toni bas
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by toni bas »

part of the story is based on science. it's a perfect story for science students..am sure they will love it
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm so happy to read your review. I thought the exact same thing about this book when I saw that cover as passed on reviewing it. It just screams "Get your strange robot sex-capade here!"

Awesome to see that it got a 4 out of 4 stars from you. It must be good :-)
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Considering that I love both I, Robot and Ghost in the Machine, I'm SO picking this one up! Great review, as usual.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

toni bas wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 12:09 part of the story is based on science. it's a perfect story for science students..am sure they will love it
There is quite a bit of science and philosophy here as well. Something for everyone. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 12:09 I'm so happy to read your review. I thought the exact same thing about this book when I saw that cover as passed on reviewing it. It just screams "Get your strange robot sex-capade here!"

Awesome to see that it got a 4 out of 4 stars from you. It must be good :-)
That's why I stayed away from it for so long! But I'm glad I took a chance because it was really quite enjoyable! Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kislany wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 12:20 Considering that I love both I, Robot and Ghost in the Machine, I'm SO picking this one up! Great review, as usual.
If you like those, you'll definitely like this one! It's great. You'll have to tell me what you think.
—Neil Gaiman
Myah Schultz
Currently Reading: Peace Like a River
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myah-schultz.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Myah Schultz »

The title alone had me pretty curious. After reading your review I think I might give it a read sometime!
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

It sounds like an interesting blending between a mystery book and a typical sci-fi with a twist. Since you've mentioned the cover, I've also checked it and it doesn't look too appealing to me either. I've also noticed that the book has two authors. This always makes me think if the text itself runs smoothly. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

cristinaro wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 14:45 It sounds like an interesting blending between a mystery book and a typical sci-fi with a twist. Since you've mentioned the cover, I've also checked it and it doesn't look too appealing to me either. I've also noticed that the book has two authors. This always makes me think if the text itself runs smoothly. Thanks for your review!
The flow is quite smooth even with the two authors. Very seamless. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Robots and aliens??? Hmm It reminds me of Star Wars. Still, I enjoy reading plots that delve on philosophical discussions with a humor touch, so I'll give this book a try. And I totally agree about the cover, it screams erotica all over. Thanks for the eye-opening review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kalin Adi wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 16:05 Robots and aliens??? Hmm It reminds me of Star Wars. Still, I enjoy reading plots that delve on philosophical discussions with a humor touch, so I'll give this book a try. And I totally agree about the cover, it screams erotica all over. Thanks for the eye-opening review!
It's quite unique and fun. I'm so glad that I took a chance on it. But the authors really do need to change up the cover a bit! Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
Chelpadilla22
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chelpadilla22 »

I must say that it is so unique. I just read about robots for the first time and its interesting. Its not usual story you can watch or read on today.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Great review! I agree with your comments regarding the book's cover. Considering that the romantic aspect of the book was not explicit, I find the cover quite misleading. A revamp of the cover is definitely a good idea. It sounds like a pretty interesting book but I'll have to pass though, robots are not my thing. Glad you enjoyed the book!
Anu Veth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anu Veth »

Many thanks for this review. I enjoyed reading the review. bye

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”