Official Review: Roxanne by Dean Marquis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Roxanne by Dean Marquis

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Roxanne" by Dean Marquis.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A battle is being fought. This is no ordinary battle, though. This battle is being fought at the same time and place in two separate dimensions. One American battalion somehow gets lucky enough to travel from one battle to the other after an EMP. There they meet with some Machines of Destruction that give them Swords of Dark Matter. They must continue to fight battles, but all they really want is to return to their Earth.

I give Roxanne And The Netherworld 1 out of 4 stars. I normally wait until the end to reveal my rating; but in this case, I think it's pertinent to state it right up front. There are many reasons for this rating. The first is that I really didn't understand the plot; I'm just not sure what the point of the story was. The same battle was taking place in two different dimensions with two different races (one alien) and technology. That's it. There was no more to the story.

Secondly, if you hear the word battle and think this book is going to be filled with action, you're wrong. This really wasn't even about the battle. It was about different commanders on the two different worlds talking about the battles and planning for the battles. There was very little in the way of action, adventure or even changes of scenery.

Moving to my next point, while this book is stated to be science fiction, I would really call it a military novel. While there was some mention of a different dimension and different technology, the whole focus of the novel is a battle. As such, there were so many abbreviations and terms used with which I was unfamiliar. NBCW, 2IC, BMD and GPMG were a few of the abbreviations that I was forced to google.

Let's say none of the above has turned you off yet. Unfortunately, I have more to add. The editing in this book was absolutely abysmal. I poured over every sentence trying to decipher it. Think I'm exaggerating? Let me give you an example: "They were waring there brand new NBCW uniforms and we had on are old NBCW unifiroms." The author also enjoyed using the same words over again, and I don't think he was using them correctly. For example, instead of he/she said, the author liked to say he cogitated, he rhymed (no the characters were not rhyming) or he proselyted. Instead of exchanging glances, the characters liked to barter glances.

Another point of contention was the repetition found within the novel. This occurred within sentences, but there were also whole paragraphs that seemed to be reiterated for seemingly no reason. The following sentence is one such example. "Sergeant Jurgenson was standing next to Major McKinnon was the New Squadron Commander. Sergeant Jurgenson was standing next to him."

In case that isn't enough, the author threw out a whole bunch of names in a very short time at the beginning of the story as authors are wont to do sometimes. I did figure out some of the names, but this trend only continues throughout the novel. Eventually, I really had to stop trying to keep track of who was who.

It is for these reasons that I was forced to rate Roxanne only 1 star. I normally try to find something positive about every book, but I honestly cannot name one thing that I enjoyed. This book requires some serious reworking and editing before I could even begin to find someone to recommend it to.

Roxanne
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The cover art seems to be inspired by the Olympic rings, perhaps symbolic of competition. I'm curious about the title, though. Where does Roxanne figure in all the mess?

I would presume that the author is not a native English speaker, but he wanted to be creative; so, he used a thesaurus. Maybe one rule for writers should be: Beware of the thesaurus.

It is always difficult to give a one-star rating. I hope the author will take it well.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Oh, Kandscreely, I am so sorry you had to suffer through this book!
I would presume that the author is not a native English speaker, but he wanted to be creative; so, he used a thesaurus. Maybe one rule for writers should be: Beware of the thesaurus.
Miriam, I think you are right and I second your warning!!

Did you find yourself wondering if you were the one who didn't understand English properly? I have read books that were so consistently bad that I began to question my own abilities and understanding. Am I crazy? No, I don't think I am.
But...

If the author is a non-native English speaker I am sure they do a better job writing in English than I would in their language, but I would wisely hire an editor. Thanks for your well-worded review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miriam Molina wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 03:12 The cover art seems to be inspired by the Olympic rings, perhaps symbolic of competition. I'm curious about the title, though. Where does Roxanne figure in all the mess?

It is always difficult to give a one-star rating. I hope the author will take it well.
I love that advice! Beware the thesaurus! You have really great comments, and I enjoy reading them. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kat Berg wrote: 10 Mar 2018, 09:12 Oh, Kandscreely, I am so sorry you had to suffer through this book!
Miriam, I think you are right and I second your warning!!

Did you find yourself wondering if you were the one who didn't understand English properly? I have read books that were so consistently bad that I began to question my own abilities and understanding. Am I crazy? No, I don't think I am.
But...

If the author is a non-native English speaker I am sure they do a better job writing in English than I would in their language, but I would wisely hire an editor. Thanks for your well-worded review!
Yes. It defintely made me question my understanding of the English language! I enjoy your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Oh my gosh, I cannot believe you finished this book! Kudos to you! (...remember that time I messaged you about declining to finish reading a book... ) :shock2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

NL Hartje wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 10:20 Oh my gosh, I cannot believe you finished this book! Kudos to you! (...remember that time I messaged you about declining to finish reading a book... ) :shock2:
Honestly, I'm not sure how I finished this one. It was pretty bad. I've not finished my fair share was well. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

Wow, what an amazing review for what sounds like quite an atrocious read. Were the acronyms made up for the purpose of the story or actual military related words? I don't think I've seen or heard any of those, even in passing. Thank you for providing specific examples of each atrocity. I never would have imagined the writing being quite as bad as your review shows.
In reference to the excessive use of a thesaurus with no understanding for proper usage: the author really made quite a blunder changing he/she said. I learned from my grandmother, who is a published historical romance author, that he/she said are "skip words". When we read, we don't actually focus on one word at a time. This isn't apparent to everyone but try putting a bookmark on your page to cover up every line of text after your current line. You realize your eyes are already moving down the page. By changing he/she said, the author made the text unnecessarily dense, which very much sounds like it distracted from the (lack of) plot.
Congratulations on your perseverance in getting through it and thank you for sparing the rest of us. We all got an enjoyable review out of it. I really enjoyed all of your examples.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kfwilson6 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 18:43 Wow, what an amazing review for what sounds like quite an atrocious read. Were the acronyms made up for the purpose of the story or actual military related words? I don't think I've seen or heard any of those, even in passing. Thank you for providing specific examples of each atrocity. I never would have imagined the writing being quite as bad as your review shows.
In reference to the excessive use of a thesaurus with no understanding for proper usage: the author really made quite a blunder changing he/she said. I learned from my grandmother, who is a published historical romance author, that he/she said are "skip words". When we read, we don't actually focus on one word at a time. This isn't apparent to everyone but try putting a bookmark on your page to cover up every line of text after your current line. You realize your eyes are already moving down the page. By changing he/she said, the author made the text unnecessarily dense, which very much sounds like it distracted from the (lack of) plot.
Congratulations on your perseverance in getting through it and thank you for sparing the rest of us. We all got an enjoyable review out of it. I really enjoyed all of your examples.
What you said about he/she said makes sense. I knew if I didn't provide samples, no one would believe me. Thanks for reading my review.
—Neil Gaiman
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

I'm so sorry you finished this book! It makes me want to go back and edit it myself, just so I know such an atrocity no longer exists! I wonder if the author either was not a native English speaker, or if perhaps he dictated the book? I think your rating is totally justified!
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Irene C »

Sorry you had to get through a book that badly written. There definitely a sort of sci-fi novel that really should just be a war novel, and it seems this one had that confusion along with its other problems.

Thanks for this review.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by londonmartine »

Oh no!! I'm sorry you had a tough time reading it. But... I'm not going to lie, your review did make me smile. I'm a terrible person.

Sounds like the basic concept is fine, but it needs a lot of editing work?!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Jkhorner wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 12:45 I'm so sorry you finished this book! It makes me want to go back and edit it myself, just so I know such an atrocity no longer exists! I wonder if the author either was not a native English speaker, or if perhaps he dictated the book? I think your rating is totally justified!
Those are both good thoughts. I'm thinking either that or maybe he was just trying to use different words or sound more important. I'm not sure. Thanks for commenting, though!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Irene C wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 14:56 Sorry you had to get through a book that badly written. There definitely a sort of sci-fi novel that really should just be a war novel, and it seems this one had that confusion along with its other problems.

Thanks for this review.
Yeah, I'm not sure if the author was trying to appeal to more people by trying to make this both a war novel and sci fi, but I don't think it was successful. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It sounds like one of those foreign language films with really badly translated subtitles! Thanks for the examples - I doubt very much if I would have understood the severity of the poor caliber of writing without them. Well done on getting through it, and giving me a good chuckle.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”