Review of The Last City of America - Matthew Tysz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Olublitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olublitz.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review of The Last City of America - Matthew Tysz

Post by Olublitz »

The Last City of America – Matthew Tysz
The Last City of America is a book set about a hundred years in the future. It drives home an apocalyptic theme where the race of mankind is drawing to an end. The book unfolds through the lives of the characters. This makes it somewhat complex but ultimately, gives it depth and a more personal tone. Though set in the future, it does not have a modern setting as much of the earth is now a wasteland. The only things to survive are implements of war which man uses relentlessly upon his fellow man. It is a story of hardship, uncertainty, danger, violence but eventually, salvation and enlightenment by the human race that a sense of brotherhood is the only thing that can ensure its survival.

A virus has been unleashed on the world. It has decimated the world’s population and has wrought the end of leadership in the country. The survivors have settled in seven major cities. Many saw the first stage of the disease which limited man’s ability to procreate. Few saw the remaining two stages. The creator of the virus conducted additional research to destroy the human race completely. He entrusted this knowledge to his successor, who however, is not certain if he wants to continue on this path. While he hesitates, his decision is overrun by a violent attempt by a violent man to take over the world. After many wars and thousands of lives lost, the survivors finally lay down their arms preferring love and forgiveness to annihilation.

A few errors were observed in the book. They are:
Page no Location Error Suggestion
4 Paragraph 4 – line 2 …I wanted to continue come back No suggestion
24 Last paragraph – line 2 …finished his plate and a man… When
45 Last line …against the pile others Omission of of
51 Paragraph 3 Her conscious is overwhelmed… Consciousness
72 Paragraph 6 , at least at first glance ... Omission of not
88 Paragraph 6 …motionless at the metal… As
89 Paragraph 4 Ready to thank her no Not necessary
92 Paragraph 3 – line 2 …why they set him off… Sent
109 Last paragraph …but even since her Ever
121 First paragraph - line 2 …light shown through the blinds… Shone

The book will appeal to readers with a thirst for insight into the fall of man. The age range for likely readers should be 35 – 60 years. Younger readers interested in science fiction could take a liking to it. The fact that there is an actual wizard in the future who fights with balls of light would be appealing. Ultimately, it is a book for mature minds. I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. I do not give it a 4 because too many characters were presented. Understanding each of them and their roles in the story was a bit taxing. I do not give it a 2 because it fully expressed its title showing how the cities strove against each other before making a final stand.

The Last City of America is an interesting book. I enjoyed it because it satisfied my thirst for action and adventure. It is a difficult book to put down once one begins to read it. Matthew Tysz has done an incredible job capturing man’s redemption. Our weaknesses are mirrored in the characters as well as our ability to rise from the ashes and build our lives anew. It was a pleasant book to read.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”