Official Review: Kaleon by N. A. Sylla

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Kaleon by N. A. Sylla

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Kaleon" by N. A. Sylla.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine an age where everybody has magical powers! This gives rise to epic magic battles and all manner of magical creatures. This is what Kalëon by N. A. Sylla provides for its readers. This is a fantasy novel, the first in the Uroborus series. The story is written in the third person and centers on the early years in the life of Kalëon and his guardian, Silas.

Queen Romilda gives birth to a son, despite being cursed to prevent this. This infuriates Birken, the king’s brother, as he was the one who cursed the Queen. Shortly after Kalëon’s birth the King dies, leaving Queen Romilda to rule the kingdom until Kalëon is old enough to take over. Birken seizes this opportunity and stages a coup.

The opening attack of the coup was against the Wise Council at their midsummer’s day meeting. Luckily one of the 12 was absent from the meeting but the other 11 were frozen in time. Silas was the twelfth member of the council, feeling the magical disturbance caused by the attack, Silas seeks advice from one who is even wiser than he is.

Following the advice he received, Silas arrives at the palace before the coup and takes the crown prince for safe keeping. The coup succeeds in all respects, except for one, the death of Kalëon. The story skips ahead five years, during which time Silas had kept Kalëon safe and concealed. At five, Kalëon is ready for the next stage of his magical training. This inadvertently reveals his location to Birken, who immediately sets out to finish what he started in the coup. Will he succeed? What adventures will befall Kalëon and Silas? You’ll have to read the novel to find out.

The novel contains both maps and a glossary. These help tremendously as the plot is very involved. I had to read some parts twice just to understand what was happening. Although this slowed down the flow of the story, I found it invaluable to keep the story straight in my head.

This is an awesome book. Even though it has 537 pages, I was disappointed when it ended, as I wanted the story to continue. Luckily, it’s part of a series and I’m looking forward to starting the next one. It’s hard to say what I loved the most, as there is so much about this book that I found stupendous. If I were pressed, I’d say it was the massive fight scene as Silas and Kalëon flee to a neighboring kingdom on the back of a morsh’enaz, a cousin to the phoenix.

The author has created a complete world, universe really, as the setting for the story. This is very detailed, and the inclusion of a map helps the reader follow the journeys undertaken, even though with the use of portals it can be thousands of miles between steps. All the settings are well explained and can be visualised with ease. There was one exception, a tower that I’m still not sure out the internal configuration. Likewise, the characters are fully formed and three-dimensional, you can easily relate to them.

I really want to give this book a rating of 4 stars. However, I found too many grammar mistakes for that to happen, so I rate this book as 3 out of 4 stars. The mistakes don’t really affect the flow of the story, mostly they are wrong tenses and misused words. I think that anyone who loves fantasy books, magic or magical creatures would really love this book. I also think that it is a little heavy going in places so may be unsuitable someone who wants a quick, easy read.

Kaleon
View: on Bookshelves

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Nice! I could feel the awesomeness as you speak. The plot is very engaging and there seem to be a lot action and journey-to-life like of theme. Loving it!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EWatson02 »

Thanks for this review! This sounds like a very familiar type of story, but it's a good, tried-and-true formula. (And, heck, there are plenty of examples of this sort of thing--enemies attacking regents to kings--happening in real life!) Perhaps I'll have to check this one out, sounds like fun.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

It sounds like a good fantasy series. Thank you for bringing it to light.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

I might give this one a try but I'm in two minds about it from your review; I love fantasy and I love a good read but having to constantly double-check maps and glossaries to understand what's going on spoils it for me. I hope it's not too heavy on that part. It does sound interesting so maybe I'll pick it up :)
Jrutko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jrutko.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Jrutko »

I am a big fan of sci-fi and fantasy so ill be sure to check this one out. Thanks for your review it really makes me want to read this book.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Irene C »

Thanks for this review. It sounds like, typos aside, this is a well-crafted book.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”