Official Review: The Elf Directive - Book Seven of the Ma...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Elf Directive - Book Seven of the Ma...

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elf Directive - Book Seven of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this seventh installment of the Magi Charter series, the science fiction element comes to the forefront. In a new futuristic setting, we get reacquainted with some old friends (and enemies) and meet some new ones. The Elf Directive continues to follow Santa and the Elves as they strive to carry out their mission - bringing hope to the world. Only this time their world has gotten a bit bigger.

It's now the 28th century. Humans have traveled the galaxy and found allies and enemies among the aliens. Earth is largely at peace, and humans have all they could desire. Thus, Santa is really no longer needed there. His mission hasn't ended, though; it had merely expanded to include less deserving races and more primitive civilizations. As such the base has been moved from the North Pole to an asteroid.

Things are going along quite well until a return of an old Elf named Emiko. Ever the enemy of Santa and his minions, she plans to have her revenge. In the process, she is determined to find the key stones they are hiding believing they will give her great power. She enlists the help of another former Elf named Mistletoe Green as he has his own reasons for retaliation. Will the two succeed in defeating Santa and the Elves once and for all?

There are multiple worlds, environments and aliens in this story. I was delighted to meet these new races including one whose brains are visible. The imagination of the author was amazing as well as his ability to keep everything separate and distinct. The world building in these books is one of the many highlights that keep me returning to the series.

The Elf Directive does build on previous books in this series, and I would advise that they be read in order. As such, I was delighted to see the return of certain beloved (and feared) characters. The author does well at keeping track of the traits of each character, so that each is seamless from one book to the next.

The pacing in this book could be considered somewhat slow as Mr. Jordan takes his time building to a climax. By the end I was ripping through the pages to solve the mysteries. Unfortunately as you might expect from a book that's 7 of 9, I was left with more questions than answers.

Now, I know most people don't like cliffhangers. Normally, I would be among those people, but… Like JK Rawling in Harry Potter, Mr. David is building to a stunning conclusion that I can't even begin to imagine. This leaves me with only a note to the author. Can't you write any faster Mr. David??

Sadly, this book was not exempt from some of the same editorial errors found in previous books. It's important to note that there were less than 50 total in a book with over 800 pages. So, while not off-putting, they were frequent enough to note. One of the most common was switching the homophones passed and past.

The merits of this book vast outweigh any negative aspects. I therefore rate The Elf Directive 3 out of 4 stars. I urge everyone to not let the minor grammatical issues keep you from picking up this book and, in fact, the whole series. I continue to be amazed by the talents of the author and find myself already dreading the end of this wonderful series.

The Elf Directive - Book Seven of the Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LanieTaj
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lanietaj.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by LanieTaj »

This is quite fascinating cause i like mystery. I read your review and i'm shock to saw that there are aliens in the story. I'm totally convince to read that story. Thanks for your review.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for your review. Can you please tell me if this series is to be read by teenagers or would you recommend it to adult readers too?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

I'm a bit discouraged by the length of the series, but I'll research more of it to decide if I want to read it or not. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

LanieTaj wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 02:14 This is quite fascinating cause i like mystery. I read your review and i'm shock to saw that there are aliens in the story. I'm totally convince to read that story. Thanks for your review.
Oh yes! This is not your run of the mill Santa story! It's so much more! It's amazing how well Mr. Jordan has crafted this series. It has a little bit of something for everyone. I highly recommend it!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 03:12 Thank you for your review. Can you please tell me if this series is to be read by teenagers or would you recommend it to adult readers too?
I would recommend it to both. The first two books especially take on a bit of a lighter tone, but after that the depth really starts hitting you. There's a lot that adults would love about this series especially once you really get into it! Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Arrigo_Lupori wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 05:16 I'm a bit discouraged by the length of the series, but I'll research more of it to decide if I want to read it or not. Thanks for the review!
It's definitely Harry Potter-esque in that it starts off lighter and shorter and gradually increases in depth and length. It's something you'll want to take a while to read through, for sure.
—Neil Gaiman
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 08:21
cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 03:12 Thank you for your review. Can you please tell me if this series is to be read by teenagers or would you recommend it to adult readers too?
I would recommend it to both. The first two books especially take on a bit of a lighter tone, but after that the depth really starts hitting you. There's a lot that adults would love about this series especially once you really get into it! Thanks for commenting!
Thank you. I may give it a try.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 19:34 until a return of an old Elf named Emiko. Ever the enemy of Santa and his minions, she plans to have her revenge.
A SHE badguy?! I like! Also, 800 pages, wowza! I am such a fan of fantasy, I wonder if I would enjoy this series? Is it overly YA? I'm afraid it might read too young for me to enjoy (or am I getting the wrong impression?).
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

NL Hartje wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 16:05
kandscreeley wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 19:34 until a return of an old Elf named Emiko. Ever the enemy of Santa and his minions, she plans to have her revenge.
A SHE badguy?! I like! Also, 800 pages, wowza! I am such a fan of fantasy, I wonder if I would enjoy this series? Is it overly YA? I'm afraid it might read too young for me to enjoy (or am I getting the wrong impression?).
The first two books definitely read more as young adult. After that, trust me... it gets much more adult oriented. It goes from mystery to historical fiction back to heavy science fiction.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The plot seem to have interesting details but the slow-pace in the book pushes me to the edge. Honestly, I am having trouble with one of those slow-paced books these day. Thanks for your details, but I'll pass for now!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Kandscreeley! Book 7 now! Sadly, I'm stuck with Book 3. I really have to work double-time.

I am surprised that Mr. J continues to have these homophone errors, after seven books. I hope he gets somebody to help him clear the errors so that people will have no reason not to read these books. (I'd love to volunteer if he'll have me.)

Santa out in space! Do the reindeer still do the deliveries? Mistletoe is still up to his evil ways, that vicious elf! And Emiko, likewise still the bad lady. Ooooh, I have to get back to my reading before the next Christmas comes!
pauljames_03
Currently Reading: The Prisoner and the Chaplain
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauljames-03.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by pauljames_03 »

Thank you for your review. Simple yet strange mystery books are what my younger sister craves for. I would recommend this series to her.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I really enjoy following your review of each of the Magi Charter books. I'm seriously considering picking them up as well, which I might do if the first one in the series is offered anytime soon.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 21:01 The plot seem to have interesting details but the slow-pace in the book pushes me to the edge. Honestly, I am having trouble with one of those slow-paced books these day. Thanks for your details, but I'll pass for now!
I understand. It's not for everyone, but it's really well done.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”